No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

9 members have voted

January 23rd, 2013 at 12:29:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
I understand. I'm just more the type that doesn't care if people want to be stupid.

I agree. but a public road and a drunk driver is not conducive to private harm.

Granted the odds of a crash with another car are low, if the drunk driving happens frequently then the odds of a crash with another vehicle approach 100% in the long term.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 23rd, 2013 at 8:48:37 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Threads: 6
I can't say I condone this plan, but Adam Carolla has always advocated for a booze endorsement on your license, so that the same limit doesn't apply to everyone...kinda makes sense, when you consider the tiny 100 lb. woman and the big 250 lb. Irish dude (hehe) are held to the same blood alcohol content.
"You think I'm joking." -EvenBob
January 23rd, 2013 at 11:39:37 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AcesAndEights
I can't say I condone this plan, but Adam Carolla has always advocated for a booze endorsement on your license, so that the same limit doesn't apply to everyone...kinda makes sense, when you consider the tiny 100 lb. woman and the big 250 lb. Irish dude (hehe) are held to the same blood alcohol content.

It is alcohol by volume, so it does work for both the hundred pound woman and the big dude. The smaller person has to drink less to reach the same concentration of alcohol in the blood stream.

The limits are around 0.08% for drink driving, though 0.05% is used in some places. Breathalyzers only estimate blood alcohol content. If you ever blow over the limit, demand a blood test where allowed by law. Or a urine test. Not that I drive even after 1 beer, but I know enough about the chemistry and construction of the roadside test to know that it's not perfect, and a close to 0.05 reading especially can be a false positive.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
January 24th, 2013 at 11:44:20 AM permalink
AcesAndEights
Quote: TheCesspit
It is alcohol by volume, so it does work for both the hundred pound woman and the big dude. The smaller person has to drink less to reach the same concentration of alcohol in the blood stream.

The limits are around 0.08% for drink driving, though 0.05% is used in some places. Breathalyzers only estimate blood alcohol content. If you ever blow over the limit, demand a blood test where allowed by law. Or a urine test. Not that I drive even after 1 beer, but I know enough about the chemistry and construction of the roadside test to know that it's not perfect, and a close to 0.05 reading especially can be a false positive.

Hmm, good point about the concentration. That thought actually went through my head as I was typing, but I dismissed it for some reason.
January 24th, 2013 at 11:52:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Current Tee Shirt: An Irishman walks out of a bar ..... no, really it can happen.

So when he walks out of a bar, is it really necessary for the law to assume he is in a high density urban area with a great many pedestrians and school crossings?

In some areas it would hard to even find a stop sign for him to strike. And even harder to find some pedestrian who happened to be out and about to witness it. Yet the law that applies to him is the same law that applies to all the motorists in more urban areas where chances for damages are so very much greater.

We treat urban and forest fires differently, we treat urban and rural flooding differently, ... yet we have one set of laws for all those who would drink and drive.

I would say the proposed program is simply a bit of common sense. Why bring the law to bear on a virtually non-existent problem.
January 24th, 2013 at 2:00:19 PM permalink
AcesAndEights
Looks like it's not happening anyway.
Page 2 of 2<12