terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
Vaccines may well cause it.

ROTFL
Whats next, legalize witch doctors
The right is gonna fight hard for voodoo lol

Vaccines don't cause Autism. Absolutely no scientific proof
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 16th, 2017 at 8:46:32 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Vaccines may well cause it.

Should have the freedom to pass on them.

Horseshit.

As far as "the freedom to pass on them," let me introduce you to a stinking liberal concept: civic duty. When you refuse to immunize your children, you not only put them at risk--you put everybody they come in contact with at risk as well. The sad fact is that ignorant people not immunizing their children has prolonged the life of several diseases, such as chicken pox, which should have been wiped out decades ago.

This is but one example of Trumper beliefs that cause active harm to our country.
February 16th, 2017 at 9:14:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined
ROTFL
Whats next, legalize witch doctors
The right is gonna fight hard for voodoo lol

Vaccines don't cause Autism. Absolutely no scientific proof

Why not legalize them, not sure the connection.

You like to swallow the big pharmaceutical line.

But there is no reason people should be forced to get injections of hazardous things for non threatening diseases we rarely see.

I thought liberals believed in a right to privacy and your body your choice?
The President is a fink.
February 16th, 2017 at 11:08:35 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17

But there is no reason people should be forced to get injections of hazardous things for non threatening diseases we rarely see.

I thought liberals believed in a right to privacy and your body your choice?

Yes, but that is trumped by the consideration that you should not be allowed to endanger others, which failing to vaccinate your children does. It's the same concept that states that you can't drive your truck down the wrong side of the freeway at 100 mph as an expression of your personal freedom.

And I don't know what a non-threatening disease is. One that doesn't phone you in the middle of the night and blackmail you? If you mean "usually non-fatal," I still wouldn't want my or other children to catch it.
February 16th, 2017 at 11:16:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: stinkingliberal
Yes, but that is trumped by the consideration that you should not be allowed to endanger others, which failing to vaccinate your children does. It's the same concept that states that you can't drive your truck down the wrong side of the freeway at 100 mph as an expression of your personal freedom.

Totally agree
Vaccines is about public health and safety

If the anti crowd wants me to listen
Provide some scientific evidence
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 16th, 2017 at 4:24:10 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined

If the anti crowd wants me to listen
Provide some scientific evidence

No evidence needed. If you do not take one you are "endangering" nobody but yourself. Why is that so hard to understand?
The President is a fink.
February 16th, 2017 at 5:01:35 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
No evidence needed. If you do not take one you are "endangering" nobody but yourself. Why is that so hard to understand?

That would be true to some extent if you never had contact with anyone else but you do have contact. Do you really want to go back to the days when diseases such as polio were putting thousands of kids into iron lungs? Diseases are controlled when we have a high enough level of "herd resistance" if enough people opt out then society can't reach that level. Argue against mandatory vaccinations on a personal rights basis if you want ADZ but don't pretend that it can't cause other people problems with diseases.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 16th, 2017 at 5:31:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: kenarman
That would be true to some extent if you never had contact with anyone else but you do have contact.

Anti-vaxxers have no clue how vaccines work, how they are made, what's in them or anything other than a discredited study showing a possible weak link with autism.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 16th, 2017 at 5:39:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
That would be true to some extent if you never had contact with anyone else but you do have contact. Do you really want to go back to the days when diseases such as polio were putting thousands of kids into iron lungs? Diseases are controlled when we have a high enough level of "herd resistance" if enough people opt out then society can't reach that level. Argue against mandatory vaccinations on a personal rights basis if you want ADZ but don't pretend that it can't cause other people problems with diseases.

The other people are free to get vaccinated and avoid issues. Polio is not a vaccine causing problems.

People should be free to make a risk/benefit decision. Measles, mumps, they are not life threatening. Not like smallpox was. And they are basically unheard of in the USA. Maybe when we get pockets of illegal immigrants that might bring some in. But if there is an outbreak it makes the news because it is news.

Smallpox vaccines were stopped when the disease was stopped in the USA. Early 1970s. After that there was no reason for vaccine risk.
The President is a fink.
February 16th, 2017 at 6:26:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote:
What the Anti-Vax Movement Doesn’t Tell You About Measles
(only quoted about 1/3 of this article. link at bottom)

Quote:
“No cough, no measles” was one of the many mantras and memory aids I learned in medical school. Most were designed to reduce tomes like Gray’s Anatomy and Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine to a few rules. Much of the time, it was easy to miss the point, especially when the subject seemed to be an obscure disease.

Five years into a six-year medical degree at a typical Western university, none of us had ever seen measles. Nor were we bothered. Apart from HIV, microbes like measles seemed prehistoric. Public health was out, plastic surgery was in. Still, I remembered this particular rule, offered by a much-revered professor. But I wondered why he was so focused on a cough instead of “Koplik spots,” the little white dots in the mouth that are specific to measles.

Then I spent ten weeks in a pediatric infectious-disease ward in Cape Town. I thought I would see “African diseases” like hemorrhagic fever and HIV, which I did. But I also saw measles, rubella (German measles), scarlet fever, syphilis, rheumatic fever, typhoid, tuberculosis and many other causes of rash and fever.

Suddenly I could see the point of my professor’s rule. The very first signs of measles are a fever and cough, followed by a runny nose and red eyes. The appearance of a rash three or four days later is usually what prompts parents to bring their child to the emergency room. The problem is that at any given time, half the pre-school children in the ER have a fever, rash or both. The differential diagnosis is hard enough in immunized children, ranging from mild roseola to devastating meningococcal sepsis; the long list includes enterovirus 68, Lyme disease and drug rashes. In an unimmunized child, the ailment might also be rubella—harmless for the child, but catastrophic for unimmunized pregnant patients—or chickenpox.

Or it might be measles, in which case you need to know. Fast. Because measles is the most contagious disease on earth. Among unimmunized people exposed to the measles virus, some 90 percent will contract the disease. Anyone with measles is contagious for several days before the rash even appears; the cough effectively spreads tiny droplets of the virus, which can remain in the air for several hours, long after an infected person has left the room. In an unvaccinated community, each person who gets measles spreads it on average to twelve others. Complications like pneumonia and meningitis can be permanent, deadly, or both, especially for immune-compromised patients such as those with cancer. And in the ER, one of these kids might be in the next bed.

Older Americans remember measles as a common childhood disease that just had to be suffered through, but in fact it is still frequently deadly in low- and middle-income countries. And because the virus weakens the body’s natural immune system, children who survive measles get more infections and have a higher risk of dying from them for several months afterwards.

So a doctor needs to be able to diagnose measles at “hello,” not wait for the results of two blood tests taken two weeks apart to see whether antibodies are rising while the child spreads measles, as happened at Disneyland. I rapidly learned to recognize measles at ten paces, and realized that the idea of using Koplik spots as a diagnostic aid was better suited to passing exams than clinical practice. Toddlers with measles tend to be extremely irritable (another clue) and not madly cooperative about opening their mouths on request for viewing. Nor would you want to get that close, if you’re uncertain whether your parents had you immunized.

https://www.thenation.com/article/what-anti-vax-movement-doesnt-tell-you-about-measles/
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
Page 5 of 6« First<23456>