Does your job matter?

Page 2 of 3<123>
February 20th, 2017 at 6:38:20 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I think what we do is important, but not as important as why we do it. Examine the motivation to find the true value.
February 20th, 2017 at 7:22:32 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
All jobs "pay the freight" or you wouldn't be paid. All jobs are important and make a difference. Try living with no garbage collection. Who is going to make your coffee so you can make a difference. Who keeps your house clean so you can do "meaningful work".

The whole question of a job that makes a difference is one of snobbery. If job is not worth doing nobody would pay you to do it. Thank the Mexican wetback the next time you enjoy your salad. It is a privilege to be able to work and always do the job you currently have as good as you are able to do it.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 20th, 2017 at 7:45:57 PM permalink
buzzardknot
Threads: 7
Next time you eat a Palisades peach or drink one of their wines, thank my granddaughter. She is working in an orchard doing , you know, one of those jobs Americans wont do. Her brother is waiting for an illegal immigrant to quit or get fired, as he is unemployed.
February 20th, 2017 at 10:15:53 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: buzzardknot
Next time you eat a Palisades peach or drink one of their wines, thank my granddaughter. She is working in an orchard doing , you know, one of those jobs Americans wont do. Her brother is waiting for an illegal immigrant to quit or get fired, as he is unemployed.

The chance that her brother would actually put up with the shit that illegal immigrants put up with (subminimum wages, no benefits, abusive work environment, unpaid overtime, etc.) approaches zero. Otherwise, he'd be employed instead of them.
February 21st, 2017 at 1:02:47 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: stinkingliberal
The chance that her brother would actually put up with the shit that illegal immigrants put up with (subminimum wages, no benefits, abusive work environment, unpaid overtime, etc.) approaches zero. Otherwise, he'd be employed instead of them.

They don't have to put up with it. They could work legally in their own country or they could come here legally and work here. I know both parties favor illegal immigration for different reasons and both of them sicken me. Some Democrats want to call underemployed Americans "deplorables" and chide them for not getting more education yet they want to add to to the population of the under-educated with a shell game that likens legal immigrants to illegal ones for the purpose of gaining more voters. Some Republicans turn their head to allow cheap labor flow in that could fairly easily be stopped. Stop them from getting jobs and they will stop coming.

All immigration is not bad. All illegal immigration is bad. Allowing it for any purpose undermines the protections afforded our workers.
February 21st, 2017 at 7:37:41 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: SOOPOO
My poorly worded question is this, do you or should you try and get a job that 'does good', or just get a job that pays the freight? Does it matter?

I think work is good for the soul no matter what it is. We desire and need to feel productive. In fact sometimes I find myself jealous of those who have jobs that more clearly and immediately make an impact and leave one with a sense of completion. The trash is gone, the furniture is moved, the crops are planted. I often feel like I'm on a treadmill, once one crisis or difficulty has calmed down another one rises in its place. It is like fighting the hydra. I never feel like I am ever done and there is always so much more I want to do or feel I could do. So doing something that "pays the freight" is a strong temptation that I fulfill with hobbies like gardening, working on cars, or doing something with my hands that has some finish line.

So my poorly worded answer is that any work does good if you strive to do it the best you can and I think the distinctions we make between jobs that "pay the freight' is exaggerated.

The real question for me is not about occupation, but vocation. Vocation is your way of life: are you single, married, a priest, or a religious. You might have a million different occupations or jobs in any one of these vocations. The most important thing is not matter what you do are you being true to your vocation. If you have the most altruistic and godly job in the world and you are married, if you don't love your wife that you are a failure.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 21st, 2017 at 8:03:12 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
Quote: RonC
a shell game that likens legal immigrants to illegal ones for the purpose of gaining more voters

All illegal immigration is bad.

You're far too intelligent to buy into this "illegal immigrants are voting by the billions" crap. Are you really saying that there is a vast Democratic conspiracy to let in illegal immigrants, who then rush to their local officials and register to vote? Why would an illegal immigrant even WANT to try to vote? To what end? Wouldn't doing so just increase the risk of detection and possible deportation?

That's why the number of instances of voter fraud nationwide were something like 26 rather than the eleventy squillion that Trump claims. You really don't need to echo that nonsense.

And I would strongly disagree with "all illegal immigration is bad." That's a blanket statement, and such statements are usually wrong. I'm sure that at least some--and I would venture to say many--illegal immigrants are and have been productive members of American society and have contributed to our well-being, even if it's only by picking tomatoes or cleaning hotel rooms. Oh yeah, I forgot, they're also all murderers and rapists. But even murderers and rapists need to pay the bills.
February 21st, 2017 at 9:04:20 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: kenarman
All jobs "pay the freight" or you wouldn't be paid. All jobs are important and make a difference. Try living with no garbage collection. Who is going to make your coffee so you can make a difference. Who keeps your house clean so you can do "meaningful work".

The whole question of a job that makes a difference is one of snobbery. If job is not worth doing nobody would pay you to do it. Thank the Mexican wetback the next time you enjoy your salad. It is a privilege to be able to work and always do the job you currently have as good as you are able to do it.

The 'if job is not worth doing nobody would pay you to do it' is what i have a problem with. The corollary is that since my job pays 10 times more than yours, my job must be, to use your word, "meaningful".
And since this is a sister site to WOV, please explain how being an AP falls under the "all jobs are important and make a difference"? Unless you mean they are important to the person getting paid....
February 21st, 2017 at 9:10:56 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Fleastiff
If the surgeon takes off the wrong leg, does your paycheck get docked? If you allow someone who needs dialysis to live, are you charged for any of the subsquent costs to the community? In most hospitals patients are at some point provided with a small packet of Kleenex and charged $2000 for it. Do you sleep nights being associated with that?

If the surgeon takes off the wrong leg, and it is my case, I will be sued for malpractice, and likely lose. It would mean the safeguards which are in place to prevent such an occurrence were ignored. There can be examples where it is solely the surgeon's fault and would bear sole responsibility.

Silly question about dialysis patient, .... of course not.

Patients are not charged for kleenex. Patients are rarely charged for anything, other than a single lump sum charge for which the vast majority have some form of insurance coverage.

I sleep very well knowing my place in the health care system. And my patients sleep very well, too.
February 21st, 2017 at 12:20:12 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: SOOPOO
The 'if job is not worth doing nobody would pay you to do it' is what i have a problem with. The corollary is that since my job pays 10 times more than yours, my job must be, to use your word, "meaningful".
And since this is a sister site to WOV, please explain how being an AP falls under the "all jobs are important and make a difference"? Unless you mean they are important to the person getting paid....

I don't think your advanced pay level makes your job anymore meaningful. Your pay level is based on training, skill set and societies evaluation of same.

I am not sure that anyone voluntarily pays the AP for his "work".
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 2 of 3<123>