The perfect salsa!

Page 1 of 212>
February 23rd, 2017 at 1:29:58 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
OK, fook politics. It's time to talk about what's really important--namely, salsa.

The best supermarket salsa I ever had appeared on local supermarket shelves on day in August where I lived in Durango, Colorado. It had some generic name and the label looked unappealing but hey, it was a big jar on sale for $2. I got a jar and some chips, and an hour later I was roaring back to the store to loot it of its remaining stock of the stuff. I got the last remaining jar. i asked the store manager where the salsa had come from and would more be coming in. He told me that a train of cars full of tomatoes had derailed outside of town a few days ago and a food processor company had put them to immediate use--and there would be no more of that salsa! Waah!

The best restaurant salsa I've ever had is at Guadalajara in Tucson, where it's made tableside for you. The key is lots of cilantro and lots of garlic. People tend to focus on the heat level, but it's the quality and freshness of the ingredients that's really important. Tucson may have its faults, but it's the number one place in the world for Mexican food (including Mexico).

What's your favorite salsa?
February 23rd, 2017 at 1:34:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: stinkingliberal
OK, fook politics. It's time to talk about what's really important--namely, salsa.

You know that's just the Spanish word for "sauce," and that the mix of cubed tomato, cilantro, onion and pepper is just one variety among many, many others?

Besides, it might all get deported to Mexico soon. Enjoy it while you can.

Quote:
What's your favorite salsa?

Bottled? Lea & Perrins Worcestershire (yes, I know what's in it). Homemade, by me, probably my stock, generic tomato sauce with black pepper, herbs, onions, garlic, peanut butter, yogurt and cinnamon.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 23rd, 2017 at 1:41:42 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Nareed
You know that's just the Spanish word for "sauce," and that the mix of cubed tomato, cilantro, onion and pepper is just one variety among many, many others?
Besides, it might all get deported to Mexico soon. Enjoy it while you can.
Bottled? Lea & Perrins Worcestershire (yes, I know what's in it). Homemade, by me, probably my stock, generic tomato sauce with black pepper, herbs, onions, garlic, peanut butter, yogurt and cinnamon.

I've already mentioned that you should pay cash for Mexican food so that it doesn't show up on your credit card statement that you are a lover of the food that criminals and rapists eat. Trump's Loyalty Police will come for all of us once they get done with all immigrants.

But as far as the incredible variety of salsa--yes, I know. I used to live in Tucson. I think that what people call "salsa" these days doesn't include everything that's a sauce. It has to be tomato-, tomatillo-, or tropical fruit-based, contain certain spices, and be intended for use as a condiment.

Your Worcestershire sauce recipe sounds interesting, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the peanut butter. But I think for it to be authentic W sauce, you have to add fermented bat wings.
February 23rd, 2017 at 1:47:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Your Worcestershire sauce recipe sounds interesting, though I'm still trying to wrap my head around the peanut butter. But I think for it to be authentic W sauce, you have to add fermented bat wings.

My stock, generic tomato sauce is not Worcestershire (I wouldn't attempt that witches fermented brew at home); it's just a, well, stock, generic tomato sauce I use in various dishes, like pasta, chicken in tomato sauce, etc.

Peanut butter is magic: it improves everything you add it to.

And I think the secret ingredient in Worcestershire is pickled pig testicles :)
February 23rd, 2017 at 7:38:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Tucson may have its faults, but it's the number one place in the world for Mexican food (including Mexico).

How many places have you been in Mexico?

This is Guadalajara's signature snack food, the drowned sandwich or "Torta Ahogada".

What would be the English equivalent to the idiom "patadas de ahogado"?
February 23rd, 2017 at 8:06:08 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
It's time to talk about what's really important--namely, salsa.
The key is lots of cilantro.....

Couldn't agree more. I keep cilantro in the fridge all the time and put it on everything. Salsa should be simple: crushed tomatoes (and sometimes water), diced onion, jalapeños, cilantro and maybe lime. Start adding weird things to make it your own "secret" salsa like worcestershire sauce (wash-yer-sister-sauce) and white wine and you're straying too far from godliness.
February 24th, 2017 at 6:21:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
This is Guadalajara's signature snack food, the drowned sandwich or "Torta Ahogada".

I've a mild mistrust of food that requires gloves for its consumption.

That said, any restaurant or street stand that doesn't provide you with gloves for tortas ahogadas, ought to be avoided.

Quote:

Trump executive order.
February 24th, 2017 at 9:54:07 AM permalink
stinkingliberal
Quote: Pacomartin

I think it would be something like "beating a dead horse." That's if I'm correct that the literal translation is "kicking (something that's) drowned."

Nareed's interpretation is also correct, though I'll bet the sandwich is much tastier than a Trump decree.
February 24th, 2017 at 10:22:54 AM permalink
Nareed
I think it would be something like "beating a dead horse." That's if I'm correct that the literal translation is "kicking (something that's) drowned."

It refers to the ineffectual kicks a drowning person attempts in order to stay afloat. Something both purposeful and spirited, but which ultimately accomplishes nothing. Like a trump executive order.

Quote:
Nareed's interpretation is also correct, though I'll bet the sandwich is much tastier than a Trump decree.

I've had some at a restaurant in Mex City that specializes in these sandwiches. They're made with carnitas. They were ok, and they offered three levels of "hot." The bread used is rock hard (and supposed to be). You dunk them in a broth of chicken and tomato and spices, along with hot sauce. The bread absorbs it and softens. It's messy and that's why you require gloves (usually plastic-film gloves).
February 24th, 2017 at 10:58:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 1 of 212>