The perfect salsa!

Page 2 of 2<12
February 25th, 2017 at 1:50:39 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
It refers to the ineffectual kicks a drowning person attempts in order to stay afloat. Something both purposeful and spirited, but which ultimately accomplishes nothing.

The idioms "fight a losing battle" or "dead in the water" are similar, but they fail to evoke the grisly image as a man struggling with all his might to stay alive. It's quite a dark idiom.

But back to the claim the Tucson has the best Mexican food in the world. It is my guess that they don't have quite as many of the specialties of tropical Mexico, but tend to stick to the food of northern Mexico.

Tasajo (dried beef) is another snack food from southern Mexico. It is often served with onions

Oaxacan string cheese is a great snack food.

Tlayudas can be open or closed. In their open form they are often sold to gringos as "Mexican pizza".

Mexican "sushi" can be divided into rolls, which are wonderful, and raw fish, which is almost always terrible.
February 25th, 2017 at 2:19:49 PM permalink
stinkingliberal
Threads: 17
I've had every dish you've mentioned in Tucson. The difference between Tucson and Mexico is that in Tucson, the ingredients tend to be fresher and more widely available, and the hygiene and preparation standards are higher.

There's more of an emphasis on Northern Mexican cuisine, specifically Sonora, than you might find elsewhere. But if you know where to look, you can find the cuisine of any region. My favorites are Oaxacan and Veracruz, both of which are represented there. Also, the Tucson food truck scene is pretty amazing and features Mexican food that you won't find elsewhere.

I've traveled and eaten in Mexico many times, and had some wonderful meals, but I've also had some terrible ones. I've never had a bad Mexican meal in Tucson.

Certainly, what I'm getting in Tucson is authentic, and it isn't just gringo-ized tacos and enchiladas. Those are available, of course.
February 27th, 2017 at 1:27:28 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
It's quite a dark idiom.

Well, it's political in origin...

Maybe "It will help him like a dead man cups." But that requires a great deal of explanation, and it's of Yiddish origin.

Quote:
Oaxacan string cheese is a great snack food.

The trick is finding a good variety that doesn't taste like processed cheese.

Quote:
Mexican "sushi" can be divided into rolls,

That's not only not Mexican, it isn't even food.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 2<12