40 Years ago

Page 1 of 212>
February 25th, 2017 at 9:06:42 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I think Face will appreciate this one. I watched it this morning. Slap Shot was released 40 years ago today and is still the best hockey movie ever made.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 25th, 2017 at 10:31:01 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I watch it at least once a year.

Others may argue, but I think that hockey is the best sport out there. It is hard to follow on TV unless you have been to live games and get a feel for the way the game flows, but it is the most interesting game to me.

Go Caps!! (Yeah, I know...they never win the big games/series...but I've rooted for them for over 30 years!!)
February 25th, 2017 at 10:52:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Great movie
loved it
even though I personally abhor hockey violence
The Hanson brothers rock
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 25th, 2017 at 10:59:18 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
I watch it at least once a year.

Others may argue, but I think that hockey is the best sport out there. It is hard to follow on TV unless you have been to live games and get a feel for the way the game flows, but it is the most interesting game to me.

Go Caps!! (Yeah, I know...they never win the big games/series...but I've rooted for them for over 30 years!!)

I'd say one of best to watch live, not as good to watch on TV.

Minor league the way to go. 1999-2000 I got first row behind the glass, parked for $1 down the block, and three great prime rim sandwiches for $10 or so. Add in beers and I doubt the night was $40. Cheaper seats for $10 less.

Is it any wonder cities like Johnstown support teams?
The President is a fink.
February 25th, 2017 at 11:19:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
Is it any wonder cities like Johnstown support teams?

Slapshot was filmed in central New York (Clinton Arena in Clinton, New York, Utica Memorial Auditorium in Utica, New York and the Onondaga County War Memorial Auditorium in Syracuse) and in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania .

Clinton NY is a town of about 2200 people and Hamilton College is about a mile outside of town. I started college there in September 1975 so I was in my sophomore year when Paul Newman came to our little town to film this movie. At the time, minor league hockey was considered a few steps more sophisticated than professional wrestling.

Because of the film I joined in a game of "animal hockey" at the school ice rink. My first game I blacked out with a minor concussion, and decided it was not a good sport for a beta male.
February 25th, 2017 at 11:56:40 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Appreciate always, but I still can't understand the movie.

I only just saw it maybe last year or the year before. Very recently, anyways. Maybe I just wasn't watching it right, or had differing expectations. A few characters made me giggle, and that scene where the goalie is being interviewed is Top 5 hockey movie moments, but ont he whole, I found it very forgettable. Perhaps a re-watch is in order.

Quote: RonC

No argument from me. I especially love the smaller venues relative to other sports. The top level of the 300's is like the 100's in football, and it's a seat I actively search for. Very top, all the way against the wall, somewhere between the blue lines. Best seat in the house for watching the game, IMO.

Big +1 to AZD, too. I at one time loved football, but anything other than AFC East was a bore. Hockey's not like that. I find equal entertainment watching no name amateurs playing in no name leagues, and as he said, a four course meal of the event can be had, as a couple, for less than a hundo. Good stuff =)

Oh, and I guess a Top "X" list...

1. Miracle
2. Goon
3. Youngblood
4. Mighty Ducks 1
5. Mighty Ducks 2
6. Cutting Edge
7. Slapshot
8. Mighty Ducks 3
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 25th, 2017 at 12:32:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The goon in the movie was modeled
after this real life goon:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2017 at 1:15:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Slapshot was filmed in central New York (Clinton Arena in Clinton, New York, Utica Memorial Auditorium in Utica, New York and the Onondaga County War Memorial Auditorium in Syracuse) and in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania .

I have to go to Johnstown next week. Wont see it, but at the Holiday Inn is a big pic or Newman from the movie. They kind of adopted themselves into the movie.
The President is a fink.
February 25th, 2017 at 1:21:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Newman said it was his favorite movie to
make. Lots of goofing around on the set,
and it was in the middle of his Coors beer
drinking days. You never saw him without a
beer. He did a lot of his own skating, but
the majority was done by a stunt double.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 25th, 2017 at 1:52:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Al Pacino really wanted the Newman part,
but he couldn't ice skate. He was also way
too short at 5' 5" tall. Newman was 5' 10",
well over 6' in skates. People who have
done movies with Pacino say he's practically
a midget, even shorter than Dustin Hoffman.
Constant camera tricks, like never having
him stand right next to other actors, or
standing on something to make him look
taller.
Page 1 of 212>