"Fetuses Are Not People" Says Catholics?

Page 2 of 2<12
January 31st, 2013 at 1:27:39 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: FrGamble
It is my understanding that the hospital is the one who is using the argument that a fetus is not legally a person. The Church, as in the Diocese where there hospital resides is furious and completely rejects that arguement. It is horrible that a so called "Catholic" hospital would allow such an arguement to be made, but rest assurred the Catholic Church is not and will never deny that a human life is present and deserves the dignity and respect as such from the first moment of conception.

The real lose to me is that it seems to weaken the idea that a Catholic hospital is really Catholic or that a Catholic University is really Catholic. If their Catholicism is watered down to the point that they don't respect human life then I think the administration can make a stronger arguement that they do not deserve a religious exemption from the HHS mandate, etc.

Yeah, FrG, it was the hospital and not the church. Perhaps my ignorance on the subject is why I can't comprehend it.

My son was born in a Catholic hospital, and I remember being uncomfortable with a few things they would not do as a result of the connection to the church. I know the hospital is not in and of itself the church, but I supposed the connection was real and deep based on my experience. Seeing something like the OP was shocking to me. As I said, I don't fault their defense as it would be completely stupid not to defend. But to use a reason that flies completely in the face of what they supposedly represent? It boggled me.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 31st, 2013 at 1:42:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It is horrible that a so called "Catholic" hospital would allow such an arguement to be made, but rest assurred the Catholic Church is not and will never deny that a human life is present and deserves the dignity and respect as such from the first moment of conception.

I wouldn't rest, assured or otherwise. A successful defense, more so since it is morally right, gives good rpecedent to other Catholic and Catholic-related institutions involved in similar disputes. Not just hospitals or wrongful death cases, either. And not just in defense, either. Precedent is a very serious matter.

Furhtermore, in my opinion (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 31st, 2013 at 7:18:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It is my understanding that the hospital is the one who is using the argument that a fetus is not legally a person.

From what I understand the hospital may be facing damages. I am under the impression that many cases like this which are difficult to prove one way or another result in a settlement. As lawyers it is their legal obligation to use the law to protect their client (in this case the hospital). The law simply says that the hospital should be facing one wrongful death lawsuit, and not three.

I know it is difficult, but you have to try lawsuits under the law, not what anyone thinks the law should be. That is a different case that gets argued before a different court.
Page 2 of 2<12