5 votes (62.5%)
2 votes (25%)
1 vote (12.5%)

8 members have voted

July 13th, 2017 at 9:40:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
That's a huge gap between 25% switching to weed, and 7% loss in beer sales.

Beer drinkers love beer, weed is nothing like it.

I think you answered your own question. The beer lovers won't switch, but casual drinkers will switch to weed.
July 13th, 2017 at 10:49:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
I think you answered your own question. The beer lovers won't switch, but casual drinkers will switch to weed.

I wont touch alcohol
Too strong a drug
I've seen with my own eyes the lives it ruins
You drink too much, you die
Cant say that about pot (unless you are EB pushing fake news)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 13th, 2017 at 11:26:43 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
I wont touch alcohol
Too strong a drug
I've seen with my own eyes the lives it ruins
You drink too much, you die
Cant say that about pot (unless you are EB pushing fake news)
There were two alcoholics in my family [ not by blood], it made for some interesting moments. I"m glad they were both jovial. But they did at times make a real mess of things.

I can hang with anybody until after the third drink, when they start speaking in tongues. If I drink with them, for some reason they make sense. I guess that's how it is with weed as well?

Nobody that isn't, actually likes hanging out with stupid regardless of how they get there. If I have a beer, the first thing I want is another and another. I don't get anything done and keep drinking until I've had my fill. Which can be days later. I found a little sativa makes me want to do my boat maintenance and be productive. Even if I have to do it 3 times cuz I did something stupid. All drugs bad, Mkay? But throughout all history, working people needed a means to escape the rigors of hard labor, phiz or mental. That's what separates us from the animals, being able to find something that helps with the pain.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 13th, 2017 at 11:33:35 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: petroglyph
. I found a little sativa makes me want to do my boat maintenance and be productive. .

When I smoke
I am now ready to do something fun
such as
Ride my bike
Play golf
Play video games
Watch a movie
ect
Makes all these activities more fun, especially golf
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 13th, 2017 at 12:20:22 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

I think there may be a "tune in" factor where they try to see what all the fuss is without worrying about taking a pinch. But I do not see it lasting. A casual beer or two is just enjoying yourself. Most beer drinkers are not trying to get totally loaded. Weed, OTOH, is just smoking dope to get stoned.
The President is a fink.
July 13th, 2017 at 12:28:32 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: AZDuffman
. A casual beer or two is just enjoying yourself. Most beer drinkers are not trying to get totally loaded. .

A casual puff or two is just enjoying yourself. Most pot smokers are not trying to get totally loaded.
July 13th, 2017 at 12:52:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
A casual puff or two is just enjoying yourself. Most pot smokers are not trying to get totally loaded.
I absolutely don't want to get blotto'd. Most of my long time acquaintance's are 1-2 toke people. But maybe because I am selective with who I hang with? I know people get baked, but not the people I'm associated with. There is no comparison with the problems we have all seen with alcohol.

Even though I have an mmj card, I am still a closet smoker. Simply because I never wanted to deal with the prejudices like here on the board. I have had friends that if they knew, it would be the end of our friendship which otherwise they had valued greatly. My parents were that way, although they were both drinkers and had seen first hand how much damage alcohol had caused in their family's.

They were of the generation that believed the government propaganda from their movie, "Reefer Madness". We are all to a degree, products of our environment.

I will say though, reefer was about my parents only prejudice. They even had gay friends going back to at least the 50's. But no weed man. lol I loved them dearly. Oh, and I keep forgetting, my dad was half indian so his side of the family, "tanned really well".
January 4th, 2018 at 11:32:03 AM permalink
terapined
I see Sessions is totally against states having the right to legalize
ROTFL
The train left the station
The Barn door is wide open
The largest state and 17th largest economy on the planet just legalized and business is booming
State politicians are already addicted to the massive taxes this earns for the state
Business is so good, Vegas pot stores are open 24/7
The people have spoken with their wallet
The growth potential is massive
January 4th, 2018 at 12:23:55 PM permalink
petroglyph
I see Sessions is totally against states having the right to legalize
ROTFL
The train left the station
The Barn door is wide open
The largest state and 17th largest economy on the planet just legalized and business is booming
State politicians are already addicted to the massive taxes this earns for the state
Business is so good, Vegas pot stores are open 24/7
The people have spoken with their wallet
The growth potential is massive
I see it as more proof, [as if it was needed] of the duplicity of the state. The gov wants the tax money as you stated, no doubt. But they want the hammer in their back pocket to selectively use against people, they couldn't otherwise imprison. Double speak are them.

I remember when seat belt laws weren't going to be a pull overable offense. It is now revenue crime like the rest of traffic laws.

MAGA, make America Green again
January 4th, 2018 at 5:27:38 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
I'm trying to envision a scenario where Sessions succeeds, a scenario where his goal is achieved. Realistically, I don't see any plausible endgame where Sessions comes out ahead. On the contrary, I see multiple scenarios where the backlash actually does more harm to Sessions, Trump, & the GOP, while simultaneously increasing the trend for lax marijuana laws.

If Sessions starts raiding pot retailers, arresting growers, prosecuting entrepreneurs, and jailing cancer patients, will voters in Alaska, California, Colorado, etc suddenly change their minds and vote to recriminalize it? Will pot smokers decide they don't want to cross Sessions, give up getting high, and flush their stash down the toilet? Those scenarios just aren't realistic.

The only plausible win I could see for Sessions is that his move prevents additional states (New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Illinois, Florida) from joining the movement to legalize recreational usage. But even that scenario is somewhat far-fetched. True, he will definitely succeed in momentarily drying up investment opportunities for entrepreneurs, but the existing pot retailers now have a huge market all to themselves.

The more likely scenario is that Sessions inadvertantly motivated otherwise apathetic millenials to vote against the GOP in 2018 or 2020. And it's a bit of a long-shot, but maybe Sessions just forced the Congressmen from the 29 states with medical pot to introduce some bills to decriminalize & remove it from Schedule I.

Congress isn't the only wild card. There's also the courts.

Quote: James McClure
And they have good reason to feel optimistic about the showdown, which could be a blessing in disguise for the legalization movement, according to Michael Steele. The former Chairman of the Republican National Committee says that a crackdown could backfire so badly that it could lead to an end of cannabis prohibition.

"If [Sessions] does this, then he's gonna be in court, which, in my view, is the last thing this administration or Jeff Sessions would want — to have a court rule that what the states are doing is right and it's within their purview under the constitution, and the federal government has no business dictating to them what they can and cannot do in this area because this is an area that's reserved for the states," Steele told Civilized last September. "Because then, that Pandora's box is open for the federal government They're gonna be forced to conform and change their laws on this matter."

That means Sessions could ironically end marijuana prohibition by trying to enforce it. So that rider might not actually be protecting legal states so much as preventing Sessions from a national embarrassment that would define his legacy as attorney general.

Sessions may not realize it, but it's possible he just gave potheads everywhere a huge Christmas gift. Happy new year...
Page 12 of 13« First<910111213>