5 votes (62.5%)
2 votes (25%)
1 vote (12.5%)

8 members have voted

March 16th, 2017 at 5:45:07 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: terapined
States have traditionally had high taxes on beer , wine, liquor and tobacco. No reason not to add marijuana to that list.

Marijuana shouldn't be lumped in with alcohol and tobacco if it's as bad as heroin. How can we convince our children it's as bad heroin if it also pays for their textbooks?

In all seriousness, if the Federal government continues to classify marijuana as Schedule 1 and cocaine as Schedule 2, the politicians have no business taxing recreational pot to pay for schools. The inherent message is that the Feds are lying about pot being more dangerous than cocaine.
March 17th, 2017 at 7:39:09 AM permalink
reno
Quote: Evenbob
Better to ask has anyone lost a job,
a spouse, a friend, because of what
weed does to their lives.

Quote: Evenbob
For every person who
can tolerate the effects of weed,
there are half a dozen who can't.

March 17th, 2017 at 8:03:40 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
LOL
I bet EB has watched Reefer Madness over and over
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 17th, 2017 at 2:48:10 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: zippyboy
Me smart yo! Bob say!

LOL'd hard XD

Quote: reno
Marijuana shouldn't be lumped in with alcohol and tobacco if it's as bad as heroin. How can we convince our children it's as bad heroin if it also pays for their textbooks?

This is exactly the low IQ double talk that engenders violent behavior in me.

First, the hell is anyone taking medical advice from a f$%#ing politician / lawyer? Someone's gotta call these mf'ers out on their BS.

Second, while the ill affects may be arguable, name me one person that's died from MJ. Only way you can do that is by extrapolation, trying to tie weed into MVA's or other fatal accidents. Opiates? Shit, I got two direct family members alone, and at least that many friends in the last few years. What highly dangerous substitute they have to ween you off weed? None, cuz it ain't that f#$%ing bad. God damn but do I feel a headbutting session coming on...

Third, no, I wouldn't be for an "education pot", either. You know all they'll do is gut it, same as they did with the lottery.

Fact of the matter is this - it's unhealthy, potentially harmful, and in most cases, is better off left alone. However, freedom trumps your bulls#$%, so sin tax and verify it (FDA) same as you do with booze and smokes, then f#$% right off. And just as there's no penalty , fee, or tax on the bell peppers in my yard, so be it no tax on s#$% I grow in my basement. If I sell it, fine and yes. Verify and tax. Eat it myself, then please do let the door hit you on your way out, preferably in the face, and with vigor.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 17th, 2017 at 3:35:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
That's an extremely important point. In January, Nevada Governor Brian Sandovol proposed a new 10 percent excise tax on retail marijuana sales once the recreational industry gets moving. The proposed marijuana tax would raise $69 million, which would largely benefit public schools in Nevada under the governor's proposed budget. (That's on top of a 15% tax on wholesale pot already approved last November.)

Governor Sandovol is a Republican.

Yeah, and no different than Democrat governors and other pols who liked smoking after the 1997 Master Settlement let them move in on the vice and make the most money of anyone in the tobacco chain. The mafia never moved in on any business anywhere so well.

The question then becomes what of the micro-grower? ATF still hunts down stills, for real and on reality TV. Do they hunt down the micro-grower? Lets forget the detail but assume pot is available in corner stores, with the tax thing settled. Where do people come down? Could they even go after micro-growers? It takes skill to work a still and a still is hard to hide. Almost anyone could put some pot plants among the tomatoes.
The President is a fink.
March 17th, 2017 at 4:31:34 PM permalink
reno
Quote: AZDuffman
Yeah, and no different than Democrat governors and other pols who liked smoking after the 1997 Master Settlement let them move in on the vice and make the most money of anyone in the tobacco chain.

Ok, here's the difference between funding our schools with tobacco taxes vs funding our schools with marijuana taxes: marijuana is illegal in the United States. Tobacco isn't. (It's a schizophrenic lesson for the kids: always obey the law and respect authority. Except sometimes it's okay to break the law and ignore authority.)

If enough Governors and State Legislatures (Republican and Democrat) get addicted to marijuana taxes it sabotages the DEA's war on pot far more effectively than the stoners ever could.
March 17th, 2017 at 5:28:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman

If enough Governors and State Legislatures (Republican and Democrat) get addicted to marijuana taxes it sabotages the DEA's war on pot far more effectively than the stoners ever could.

Actually the stoners are the only reason I would support the DEA war on pot. They are the poster children for the problems it can cause.

Another question is will pot be the "gateway tax" for governments? IOW, after the MJ tax revenue levels off, and it will, do the feds try to find Jesse Pinkman and try to get him to cook? Do they look for George Jung's client list?

Heck, we have already heard rumors about feds pushing dope of one kind or another to get some clean, dirty cash.
The President is a fink.
March 17th, 2017 at 9:56:04 PM permalink
reno
Quote: AZDuffman
Another question is will pot be the "gateway tax" for governments? IOW, after the MJ tax revenue levels off, and it will, do the feds try to find Jesse Pinkman and try to get him to cook? Do they look for George Jung's client list?

The numbers just aren't there; the tax revenue would be negligible compared to pot. Marijuana dwarfs everything else.

1,500,000 Americans used cocaine last month.
440,000 Americans used meth last month.
300,000 Americans used heroin last month.
Marijuana? A staggering 22.2 million Americans used it last month.

I suppose use of the other drugs could increase. But realistically, will we ever get to the point where 22 million Americans are on meth or heroin? I doubt it. Too dangerous, too deadly.
March 18th, 2017 at 5:53:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
The numbers just aren't there; the tax revenue would be negligible compared to pot. Marijuana dwarfs everything else.

1,500,000 Americans used cocaine last month.
440,000 Americans used meth last month.
300,000 Americans used heroin last month.
Marijuana? A staggering 22.2 million Americans used it last month.

I suppose use of the other drugs could increase. But realistically, will we ever get to the point where 22 million Americans are on meth or heroin? I doubt it. Too dangerous, too deadly.

Less users but way higher profits. Who lives better, a pot dealer or a coke dealer?

IMHO, if cocaine was decriminalized the use would skyrocket most. The average person probably sees meth as a biker and hillbilly drug. But coke is still what the stars use. Whites would lay the powder out at their parties and blacks would cook it into crack for their parties.
The President is a fink.
March 21st, 2017 at 10:57:36 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
A Quarter of American Beer Drinkers Say They’re Switching to Pot
:-)

https://time.com/money/4705155/beer-marijuana-pot/?xid=homepage&utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"