Electric flight/ Hybrid flight:

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
October 20th, 2018 at 2:24:47 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
How are they handling the Lithium battery on board a plane ban. Very few passenger planes allow anything bigger than you computer with a lithium battery. Now we have a plane powered by (I assume) Lithium batteries.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 20th, 2018 at 8:38:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Later it will be airliners and all electric trans-Atlantic flights.

My car weighs 3071 lbs and will carry a maximum payload (passengers and luggage) of 995 lbs. With full tank, the fuel weighs 81 lbs. The logic of replacing that fuel tank with a 600 lb battery eludes me.

Commercial airlines are not carrying pillows in order to increase profitability The idea that a battery powered plane will cross an ocean for 300 nmi in the next century seems outrageous.

I drew a circle 130 nmi around Inverness. These are tiny airports on fragile Scottish islands which worry intensely about environmental effects.
November 3rd, 2018 at 2:11:46 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Okay, okay.... much later.

But the real value is in nano-magnetic alignment of the lithium ions so that small lithium batteries can be discharged at a very high rate that is sufficient to develop take off power but will not overheat the battery or require a massively heavy one.

Initial hybrid flights will be 'hybrid' only to meet FAA reserve requirements the non battery propulsion will not be used; later longer distance or more passenger flights will be actually using the non battery propulsion components.
Page 5 of 5« First<2345