Stand Your Ground

Page 1 of 61234>Last »
March 28th, 2017 at 4:07:02 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Oklahoma Man defends his parents house with AR-15 style rifle, killing three home invasion burglars that were armed with a knife and brass knuckles.

The right to defend your home, even with deadly force, should never be released to the State. The rifle allowed the homeowner's son to avoid serious bodily injury, and even death, yet many states would take that means of self defense away from law abiding citizens.
March 28th, 2017 at 4:46:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
The homeowner can be glad he is in Oklahoma. I don't know the details, but unless he was in immediate threat of death or grave bodily injury, in most states the homeowner would be facing murder charges. It doesn't help his case that he was many levels better armed than the burglars. I think in California the general rule is you can only use equal or lesser force to defend your home.

I know this isn't the liberal thing to say, but I applaud that homeowner.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 28th, 2017 at 6:00:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

I know this isn't the liberal thing to say, but I applaud that homeowner.

I applaud the homeowner and applaud the law. It should not matter how much better armed a person is. If a burglar does not want to be killed they should not rob.
The President is a fink.
March 28th, 2017 at 6:13:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Wizard
I think in California the general rule is you can only use equal or lesser force to defend your home.

So you are only allowed to kill someone in a 'fair' fight. What a stupid rule. If a 250 lb, unarmed, ex Marine comes crashing into my home I need the right to use a weapon to defend myself or I am dead.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
March 28th, 2017 at 6:13:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Wagoner County officials later identified the teens as Max Cook, Jake Woodruff and Jacob Redfearn.

Guess they're just ordinary American crooks, not those dangerous illegal aliens.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2017 at 6:18:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Often they must be in the home not merely on private property trying to gain entry. Not a 'fair fight' concept just a 'threat or not' concept.
March 28th, 2017 at 6:29:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The problem is, it's half dark, you're
caught by surprise with intruders
in your home, they're armed but
you don't know the extent. You
defend and ask questions later.
These days you better be fully
prepared to die on the spot if
you break into a residence.

It's a sad case, though. The pics
of the teens show them be 15-16,
they had their whole lives in front
of them. An older girl, 21, talked
them into it while she sat in the
getaway car. She might get out
of prison when she's in her
50's.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2017 at 6:52:08 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
It's a sad case, though. The pics
of the teens show them be 15-16,
they had their whole lives in front
of them.

While most teens don't rob houses, most teens have terrible judgement at times. The fact that most of us aren't actually dead from a bad decision while a teenager is just a matter of luck IMO.

Of course, maybe Wizard is one of those rare few who never did anything stupidly dangerous as a teenager.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 28th, 2017 at 6:56:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

Of course, maybe Wizard is one of those rare few who never did anything stupidly dangerous as a teenager.

I heard Face died two or three times
in his teens but nobody noticed, so
he just kept going. He only feels
half dead now, but he's used to it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 28th, 2017 at 7:35:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Ayecarumba
Oklahoma Man defends his parents house with AR-15 style rifle, killing three home invasion burglars that were armed with a knife and brass knuckles.

The right to defend your home, even with deadly force, should never be released to the State. The rifle allowed the homeowner's son to avoid serious bodily injury, and even death, yet many states would take that means of self defense away from law abiding citizens.

Here's my problem with some of the rhetoric from the pro-gunslingers blowing people away under certain conditions..

Let's say you've got an American soldier in a war zone. He's at a post. Three foreign men walk forward and they begin an attack on him with knives or sticks. He manages to get the best of them. He shoots two dead during the initial attack.

One is left. If that man is observed prostate or on his knees and begging for his life and the soldier shoots him dead, is that a chargeable war crime?

Now I don't know if any of these teens begged not to be shot, but I don't find it improbable either.

What's are the standards here?
Page 1 of 61234>Last »