Trinidad and Tobago

Page 6 of 6« First<3456
April 7th, 2017 at 1:19:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
the answer is not found in abandoning God, as tempting as that may be. You are then just left with useless and meaningless existence.

No, that would apply to YOU, because you've
boxed yourself into a neatly defined religious
conundrum. You cannot imagine a life outside
of your narrow views, so of course none exists.
For you. For the rest of us who choose not
to burden ourselves with the restricting spirit
killing superstitions of others, life is nothing
but possibilities and endless meaning.

Quote:
You think the plan is flawed with your limited understanding.

The plan is flawed because there is obviously
no plan at all. Random happens and you label
it 'gods plan'. Random happens to an atheist
and we call it life. You want to see confusion
in action, try and have a logical discussion
with a Christian about how gods plan is working
out for them.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 7th, 2017 at 12:54:42 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
I have nothing because there is no evidence
or proof to be had. Your 'logical argument
based on causality' holds no water. If it
did we would all be laying face down on
the floor asking gods forgiveness 12 hours
a day.

Why doesn't it hold water? It obviously does so your next statement is really the big question - why don't we all believe in God if it is so clearly a logical necessity. Well there are many reasons for this. You could also ask why do people smoke or why do people continue to believe we didn't land on the moon? The evidence is clear but we still do it or don't believe it because we want to for various reasons.

Quote:
You flick away the argument that
you can't prove a negative like it's a
pesky bee flying around your head. It's
a very important part of this conversation.
You make a statement, we say prove it,
and you yell back "not until you prove
I'm wrong!"

We are not proving anything so that argument doesn't hold water in regards to our conversation. We are gathering arguments, evidence, and experience to make a reasonable conclusion. I'm NOT asking you to prove there is no God. I'm asking you to give me one tangible shred of evidence or logical argument that would make atheism a reasonable conclusion. You haven't even tried. You are constantly trying to shoot down the evidence I provide by saying things like billions of people is just hearsay and doesn't mean anything and that the causality argument doesn't hold water, but you don't support any of your criticisms with reason or logic or a balanced view of the subject.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 7th, 2017 at 1:12:49 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Do you not see order in creation? Do you not perceive a higher power that created life? Do you deny that there are universal moral laws that are written in our hearts that try as we can to silence or change them we cannot?

Up to this point you're hopelessly wrong, but making sense. And then:

Quote:
Yes I desire there to be a God, and I think you do too deep down. However desiring it does not make it so. It is so because science, logic, and morality shows there to be one.

This is like you suddenly morphed into speaking Antarctican. Had you written "BkZSBBZG1pbmlzdHJhY2nDs24g" instead, it would make more sense.

So, to unpack:

The first question is a cheap rhetorical trick. Whether the answer is yes or no, the respondent is admitting to a "creation." The answer to the next two questions is "no." Moral codes are philosophical matters. Like philosophy, they change all the time. Once it was moral to burn heretics at the stake. Now, thankfully, it's not.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 7th, 2017 at 1:55:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I'm NOT asking you to prove there is no God. I'm asking you to give me one tangible shred of evidence or logical argument that would make atheism a reasonable conclusion.

Asking for evidence of atheism is exactly
the same as asking why there is no god.
God as he is written in the Bible does
not fit into the physical laws of this
universe. Jesus walking on water and
raising the dead and feeding multitudes
flies in the face of how the universe
works. Jesus getting up after three days
of being dead is not possible unless he
wasn't really dead.

All there are is reasons not to believe in
a god. The only reason to believe is, you
want to believe. It's really as simple as
that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 7th, 2017 at 8:26:42 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
Asking for evidence of atheism is exactly
the same as asking why there is no god.

Are you saying you believe in something without a good reason why? If Atheism is making a truth claim namely that there is for sure no God then it needs evidence. Perhaps you can't have proof because it is a negative statement, but you should have at least some information, reason, argument, or evidence to make such a claim.

Quote:
All there are is reasons not to believe in
a god. The only reason to believe is, you
want to believe. It's really as simple as
that.

So your "reason" you give to not believe in God is that the all-powerful creator of everything can't walk on water or rise from the dead or anything else for that matter? In the very definition of God is a clear refutation of this ridiculous assertion, your reason is self-refuting.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 8th, 2017 at 4:41:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Are you saying you believe in something without a good reason why? If Atheism is making a truth claim namely that there is for sure no God then it needs evidence. Perhaps you can't have proof because it is a negative statement, but you should have at least some information, reason, argument, or evidence to make such a claim.

The best way I can find to stump an atheist is to ask if there is no God then how did life spring up from no life.
The President is a fink.
April 8th, 2017 at 7:37:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Do they even discuss atheism in a tropical paradise? Fish, rice, the rum good anytime of year... do these topics really arise?
Page 6 of 6« First<3456