Who says women aren't funny

Page 2 of 3<123>
March 31st, 2017 at 2:11:40 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
I do watch / listen to a lot of stand up, and I still can't think of a good female option.

Rita Rudner.

I saw her act in Vegas a few years ago.

Look her up. There must be videos on YouTube.

Or just watch SNL. There have been many great comedic actresses: Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Jan Hooks, Tina Fey.

Or, if you've forgotten her, Lucille Ball.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 31st, 2017 at 2:34:26 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed
Rita Rudner.

I saw her act in Vegas a few years ago.

Look her up. There must be videos on YouTube.

I did, then remembered I remembered her. Not sure where from, though.The clip I watched would've put me at 9yrs old =)

I think it's just... hell, I don't know the word for it. Like attracts like. I can watch Rudner, Fey, whomever, but it's "smile" funny or "titter" funny. I can't remember ever releasing a big guffaw or slapping the knee.

I'm the same with music. Very sexist. Dolly Parton, Lauren Hill, and that is the complete list of female singers I'd say I "love", while on the men's side I could list for the rest of the day and most of tomorrow how many I couldn't live without. I was just shotgunning stand up the other day for background noise; Lampanelli, Peretti, Johnson, Cho,... I had a few giggles. Chappelle came next and I was knee slapping laughing. Like, choked a bit I was laughing so hard.

No big deal. I suppose it's not that women aren't funny, it's that they're not funny to men, for the same reason the opposite is often true.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 31st, 2017 at 2:41:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
No big deal. I suppose it's not that women aren't funny, it's that they're not funny to men, .

Joan Rivers was always funny because
her humor was mean. She was always
mocking and making fun of people.
The female Don Rickles.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2017 at 2:43:02 PM permalink
Nareed
I think it's just... hell, I don't know the word for it. Like attracts like. I can watch Rudner, Fey, whomever, but it's "smile" funny or "titter" funny.

So now we know you're not attracted to quality humor :)

Quote:
I'm the same with music. Very sexist.

Indeed. No word about The Bangles, The Gogos, Gaga, Pat Benatar or Olivia Newton John. I'll grant Karen Carpenter's music and lyrics didn't rise to the level of her unique, amazing vocals.
March 31st, 2017 at 2:49:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188

Or just watch SNL. There have been many great comedic actresses: Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Julia Louis Dreyfus, Jan Hooks, Tina Fey.

Or, if you've forgotten her, Lucille Ball.

I generally prefer comedic actresses over the female standup. Now Carol Burnett probably had comedic ad libs with her audience as good as anyone I've seen. She didn't need writers to in order to respond with the funny lines. She did that at the beginning of her shows when she took questions.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2017 at 3:07:22 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

Indeed. No word about The Bangles, The Gogos, Gaga, Pat Benatar or Olivia Newton John. I'll grant Karen Carpenter's music and lyrics didn't rise to the level of her unique, amazing vocals.

No disrespect intended, but almost all the music you mention I think of as "old people music" lol. I know it's not so, but understand I was born in '80. Bangles, Benatar, et al were popular with my parents generation. Then, the 20-30 crowd, the hip and happening. To little boy me, it was "old". And then being an angsty teen, Adult Contemporary to this day is an acid upon my soul. Granted, that's in Amy Grant and early Mariah Carey territory,... I guess what I'm saying is there is a base for my dislike other than just "it's a woman"=p

Gaga, I will say, I began with a deep dislike but have since begun a wild swing the other way. I don't understand the outlandish acts, and I suppose that sort of stuff causes me to distance myself from it, but when it was put aside it let the talent shine through, I found I sort of like it. I guess it's that I enjoy the talent, but the inability to understand the subject prevents me from reaching "love" status. Much as I wouldn't expect you to understand why Alan Jackson's "I Still Like Bologna" would make me cry.

/sidebar The Bangles lol. One of my earliest memories in life was being at the town laundromat with my mama trying to "walk like an Egyptian". OMG! Little Eva and The Locomotion! Ha! So many memories are flooding back now. Feel like I'm at Friday skate in the school basement. Smoking in the Boys Room, omg XD Wow, Nareed, you really sparked something. Anyway, yeah lol. I was just a baby when your stuff came out =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 31st, 2017 at 3:24:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Much as I wouldn't expect you to understand why Alan Jackson's "I Still Like Bologna" would make me cry.

Swear To God (even though I don't believe) I heard these lyrics last night.

I was drunk when my mama got out of prison

Before I could pick her up she was hit by a train
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 31st, 2017 at 3:43:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Swear To God (even though I don't believe) I heard these lyrics last night.

I was drunk when my mama got out of prison

Before I could pick her up she was hit by a train

Please don't tell me that was the first you heard that song!
The President is a fink.
March 31st, 2017 at 3:45:19 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Please don't tell me that was the first you heard that song!

I've never heard it, I thought it was a joke.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 31st, 2017 at 3:53:00 PM permalink
Nareed
No disrespect intended, but almost all the music you mention I think of as "old people music" lol.

Everyone know "old people music" is the awful stuff my parents liked.

But, seriously, pop music hasn't changed that much since the 80s. There's plenty of current music I like, at least when I hear it on the radio at the office. I'm just not into listening to music much. With a few exceptions.

Quote:
Gaga, I will say, I began with a deep dislike but have since begun a wild swing the other way. I don't understand the outlandish acts, and I suppose that sort of stuff causes me to distance myself from it, but when it was put aside it let the talent shine through, I found I sort of like it.

What do you call a talented a singer, with good songs and lyrics, who nonetheless makes her outrageous public persona the main attraction?

Madonna, of course. :)

Lately she's been dialing that down and showing off her talents. Gaga's half time show was the best ever Super Bowl show (lots better than the game, which I understand took place on the same day).

The older music I listen to, on rare occasions these days, is partly force of habit, partly old inspirations I like to revisit and revise.

Quote:
/sidebar The Bangles lol. One of my earliest memories in life was being at the town laundromat with my mama trying to "walk like an Egyptian".

That was just a silly dance song with a silly video (though I do know some of the lyrics). try listening to their serious stuff:

Lost at Sea
If She knew What She Wants
Eternal Flame
Something to Believe in

Or simply look up Olivia Newton John's "Tied Up."
Page 2 of 3<123>