Foreign born as a percentage of population

Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »
April 2nd, 2017 at 5:13:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: TheCesspit

Canada does love immigration,
In the early to mid 70's doing migratory line building, they Americans would slide on up to Canada and get treated pretty well. And the Canadians I would often run into and they are great to work with, skilled etc. But Canada passed some labor laws and Yanks couldn't work up there anymore eh? We still gladly accept Canadians but also in the Nafta agreement, Canada put in labor protections, not the Yanks.

So are they letting Americans work any of the skilled trade higher paying jobs do you know? Or does Canada just want people who either don't need to work or just do crap jobs migrate there? I wonder how the medical system will deal with a mass migration of people that don't have means?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 2nd, 2017 at 5:19:47 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: petroglyph
In the early to mid 70's doing migratory line building, they Americans would slide on up to Canada and get treated pretty well. And the Canadians I would often run into and they are great to work with, skilled etc. But Canada passed some labor laws and Yanks couldn't work up there anymore eh? We still gladly accept Canadians but also in the Nafta agreement, Canada put in labor protections, not the Yanks.

So are they letting Americans work any of the skilled trade higher paying jobs do you know? Or does Canada just want people who either don't need to work or just do crap jobs migrate there? I wonder how the medical system will deal with a mass migration of people that don't have means?

There's a list of skilled professions, one of which is IT, as that's how I got here on my first workers visa. There's plenty of US citizens in the IT sector. The rest I can't speak to, except that I know some jobs which require professional qualifications are very hard to get into without the Canadian version of the certificate. It varies from province to province. BC, I believe, is harder to get jobs in as there's a kickback stronger Union culture here than in Alberta.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 2nd, 2017 at 5:23:29 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Evenbob
Wow, immigration from one Brit
country to another, the culture
shock must have been horrifying.

It wasn't. Never claimed it was.

I suspect a good percentage of the Canadian immigration figure Paco listed for Canada are just like me as well. Most Canadians seem to be happy to see other people, British, Ukrainian or Ugandan, choose to become Canadian.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 2nd, 2017 at 5:42:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Most Canadians seem to be happy to see other people.

Most Americans seem to be happy to see
other people. When they get together
with their own, it might be a different
story. Same in Canada.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 2nd, 2017 at 6:41:52 PM permalink
TheCesspit
I see you've decided to cut what I said half way through.

Very sad tactic, Bob. Very sad.
April 2nd, 2017 at 8:02:16 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
It varies from province to province. BC, I believe, is harder to get jobs in as there's a kickback stronger Union culture here than in Alberta.
I used to love BC. Do they still have "Yanktown". it was great.

I have also driven the Alcan several times. I really liked BC. I also bought my last ocean boat in Point Roberts.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 2nd, 2017 at 9:12:49 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Some of the Founding Fathers had their eyes on a 14th state: Canada.
The invitation to Canada to join was officially made on March 1, 1781, when the Articles were ratified as Maryland became the 13th and final state to approve them.

The Articles of Confederation - “Canada acceding to this confederation, and adjoining in the measures of the United States, shall be admitted into, and entitled to all the advantages of this Union; but no other colony shall be admitted into the same, unless such admission be agreed to by nine States”.

I wonder who our President would be if Canadians also voted.
April 2nd, 2017 at 11:53:44 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Assuming that some how, Canada's provinces became states just before 2016, the EC votes would be roughly (based on comparable population in US states):

Ontario - 20
Quebec - 13
BC - 8
Alberta - 7
Manitoba - 4
Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland & Labrador - 3 each
(Yukon, Nunavut and the North West Territories are territories, and lets assume they act like Guam and Puerto Rico so don't get any electoral college votes).

67 more EC votes (for an addition of 10% of the population, you get more than 10% increase in the college because of all the small provinces. If Canada is one big state, it's a little smaller than California, so would get 50-ish EC votes).

If they all went for Clinton, that's still not enough to over turn the 74 majority Trump had. I'd guess that Alberta and Manitoba would have gone for Trump (both are solidly Conservative voting provinces). Saskatchewan would be close. Based on the 2015 election in Canada, I don't see BC, Ontario or Quebec voting to the right, and the other's were all pretty solid Liberal wins as well.

That's 56 for Clinton and 11 for Trump, and he gets the White House, with a reduced majority (317 - 288).

---

If Canada in 1781 had joined, that would have been Lower Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I have no idea what would have happened in the west with that change, but could assume that eventually all the area which is now Canada would have become part of the US over time (BC and Yukon is a possible exception, but unlikely that the British would have been able to keep them separate in the long run). The US would have had to deal with the separatist movement in Quebec in the 60's, and that would likely have been less likely to end up in any sort of compromise, given the size of the US compared to Quebec.
April 3rd, 2017 at 12:59:15 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Very sad tactic, Bob. Very sad.

What's sad is people who use the
word 'sad' all the time to try and
degrade others. It ends up making
you look like the small one, not
the person you're using it on. It's a
form of public shaming, to build
you up and tear the other person
down. Pity you don't know
what you look like when you use it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2017 at 7:49:49 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Evenbob
What's sad is people who use the
word 'sad' all the time to try and
degrade others. It ends up making
you look like the small one, not
the person you're using it on. It's a
form of public shaming, to build
you up and tear the other person
down. Pity you don't know
what you look like when you use it.

Small like the hands of the man who uses it all the time on Twitter?

And yes, I was shaming you for selective quoting of what I'd said, put in a period before my sentence had ended, and changing the meaning.
Page 2 of 7<12345>Last »