Easter: Message of Jesus?

Page 3 of 31<123456>Last »
April 3rd, 2017 at 5:17:31 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
You will admit, I assume, that many of these Islamic terrorists are ignoramuses only taught the Koran and told that blowing themselves up means they will be in a wonderful place and taking all these nonbelievers with them is not wrong because they too will be in a better place.

So what is the difference between a Priest and an Immam? The book, the attire, the language spoken?
April 3rd, 2017 at 5:32:30 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
The message of Jesus is that He is the Messiah, God Incarnate, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords who came into the world to save us from our sins. .

This is what he preached for 3 years,
this was his message, that he was
god and was here to save us?

This is from a Catholic site:

"people have struggled to find places where Jesus himself claims to be divine. If you're looking for a passage in Scripture where Jesus says, "Hey, everyone, I'm God!" you're not going to find it." https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/did-jesus-claim-to-be-god If you have a problem that they are lying, like you usually have with any link I post, there are lots of other Xtion links that say the same thing.

So if he never said it, how was 'I am god'
his message for his 3 year ministry. That
is obviously the message of the NT, not
the message Jesus preached.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 3rd, 2017 at 11:46:47 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Again I think you already know the answer and have said it many times. A message of love did not get Jesus crucified. He fairly obviously claimed to be and gave signs that He was God. This is what led to His death.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 4th, 2017 at 12:57:26 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Again I think you already know the answer and have said it many times. A message of love did not get Jesus crucified. He fairly obviously claimed to be and gave signs that He was God. This is what led to His death.

Why would you kill someone who gave believable signs of being god? It leads me to believe his signs weren't believable at all.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 4th, 2017 at 1:10:19 AM permalink
Evenbob
Again I think you already know the answer and have said it many times. A message of love did not get Jesus crucified. .

I'm not talking about what got him crucified.
I'm asking what was his daily message in his
3 year ministry as traveled around. What did
he preach, what was he trying to convey.
He had a central message, what was it. He
went from town to town talking to people,
what did he tell them, what was his central
theme. Why does nobody seem to know
the the answer to this question.

It's a strange religion, it's impossible to get
a straight answer out of anybody. What
you get is a page of words that don't
answer the question at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2017 at 6:53:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
There's what people claim to believe, and what they actually believe. And more important what they practice.

Judging from the latter, the message from Jesus was "Thou shalt take time off on the Thursday and Friday of Easter, and thou shalt make up the work time you lost by piling up late nights and stress on the following Monday."

And that's really odd, because it's so unlike everything else you hear from that era.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2017 at 8:00:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
I'm not talking about what got him crucified.

Are you sure because you seem to have mentioned it many times. He was crucified for claiming to be God and He Resurrected to clearly show He was. Somebody had a good comment that if Jesus convincingly claimed and showed to be God why did they kill Him? That is because those who have found their value in their power, authority, wealth, and fame are threatened by God, especially a God who draws close to us and wants to be part of our life. They don't want someone more important with more authority around so they kill Him, it is a story as old as Original Sin.

Quote:
I'm asking what was his daily message in his
3 year ministry as traveled around.

John 3:16, I've said this already. God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son to save us and all that believe in Him may have eternal life. It wasn't always in these exact words. It was often in parables or in phrases like, "The Kingdom of God is at hand."

Quote:
It's a strange religion, it's impossible to get
a straight answer out of anybody. What
you get is a page of words that don't
answer the question at all.

While the message of Christianity is quite simple (see above) it is also very complex as well. You can't sum up the teaching of the most important person in all of human history in a sentence or two.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 4th, 2017 at 12:40:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Are you sure because you seem to have mentioned it many times.

And we've discussed it many many many
times. Jesus was killed because he was
a public nuisance to the Jews. The head
Jews complained to the Romans in charge
that they were tired of Jesus causing
trouble and wanted him taken care of.
Pilate was always trying to keep the peace
and make the local leaders happy, so he
was glad to oblige.

{I'm asking what was his daily message in his
3 year ministry as traveled around.}

Quote:
John 3:16, I've said this already. God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son to save us and all that believe in Him may have eternal life. It wasn't always in these exact words.

So you're saying Jesus went from village to
village for 3 years and told people he was
god sent to save them, and if they
believed in him they would have eternal
life? How is that possible, your own page,
Catholic Answers, says there is no evidence
Jesus said he was god even once, let alone
said it hundreds of times over 3 years.

Quote:
While the message of Christianity is quite simple (see above)

I starting to get the gist of what his
day to day preaching was about.

"For many believers the gospel is essentially the death and resurrection of Jesus, and for some it is his vicarious atoning death.
If this is what one means by “gospel,” then Jesus did not publicly preach the gospel. It was only in the last months of his three-year ministry that Jesus even talked about his death and resurrection, and then it was only with his closest disciples."

So Jesus did not preach John 3:16 for years.
He never said he was god.

"But Jesus did preach the gospel (good news); that is, Jesus preached the good news of the kingdom of God... What is the “good news (gospel) of the kingdom of God”? It is the announcement that the kingdom is coming, that the kingdom of God has come near, and that the reign of God is breaking into the world to transform it. The good news of the kingdom is that heaven is coming to earth."

So after three days of looking I finally get to
the meat of it. Jesus preached a fantasy
wherever he went. That soon the kingdom
of god was coming.

"When the kingdom comes, people are reconciled to God, the blind see, the lame walk, the dead are raised, the marginalized are included, the oppressed are liberated, and sins are forgiven. The good news of the kingdom is the arrival of this kingdom reality. This is what Jesus announced, and he proclaimed it as gospel or good news."

This is what he told people for 3 years. He
didn't tell them he was the son of god, he
only told that to his disciples in the last
weeks of his life. He didn't preach he was
there to wipe away the sins of the world.
He preached that the end was near, god
was coming, better get your house in order.

But it's 2000 years later and the fantasy hasn't
come true. The dead haven't risen, the blind
haven't been healed, the oppressed haven't
been liberated. The fantasy Jesus preached
laid a big fat 2000 year egg that people are
still hopeful will happen. Good luck with that.
April 5th, 2017 at 8:35:21 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
And we've discussed it many many many
times. Jesus was killed because he was
a public nuisance to the Jews.

Do you really hold that Jesus was crucified because He was a nuisance?

Quote:
So you're saying Jesus went from village to
village for 3 years and told people he was
god sent to save them, and if they
believed in him they would have eternal
life? How is that possible, your own page,
Catholic Answers, says there is no evidence
Jesus said he was god even once, let alone
said it hundreds of times over 3 years.

I don't have my own page so I don't know what you or the Catholic Answer people are talking about but Jesus does claim to be God many times in the Scriptures and it is for this reason that the Jews and Romans both had Him killed.
April 5th, 2017 at 2:42:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Jesus does claim to be God many times in the Scriptures and it is for this reason that the Jews and Romans both had Him killed.

Here's one take on it:

"Pilate ordered the words "Jesus of Nazareth: King of the Jews" affixed to his cross. This indicates that there was no getting around the fact that Pilate had crucified Jesus because his preaching was seen as a direct threat to the sovereignty of Rome. He was crucified as a political rebel."

The doomsday preachers at the time were
a real burr under the saddle of the Romans,
they were always stirring up trouble. So when
the priests turned Jesus over to Pilate for
being a public nuisance with his 'son of god'
nonsense, Pilate made an example out of him.
Page 3 of 31<123456>Last »