Easter: Message of Jesus?

April 17th, 2017 at 2:45:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
No one should care about a god who needs a sales force. Or just human force.

Look at the Jews. Not only don't they try and
convert you, they don't want you if you
try and convert. They will actively try and
talk you out of it, they take their religion
very seriously.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 17th, 2017 at 3:15:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
Look at the Jews. Not only don't they try and
convert you, they don't want you if you
try and convert. They will actively try and
talk you out of it, they take their religion
very seriously.

You might be more right than we know about Jesus being killed for being an annoyance.

Who wants their very own children to be talked into a cult by loony strangers? That's what all the ones that convert do. The kids start talking goofy and pretending they know better than anyone and start giving their money away to the group.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 17th, 2017 at 3:47:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Who wants their very own children to be talked into a cult by loony strangers? That's what all the ones that convert do. The kids start talking goofy and pretending they know better than anyone and start giving their money away to the group.

Then the person to kill would have been Constantine I.

Unfortunately he presented Christianity to the Romans in a way they couldn't refuse it: wrapped in a civil war victory, and backed by armed legions largely of Germanic origins.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 17th, 2017 at 9:53:08 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Some of these comments are coming from those who forcibly argue for certain political ideologies. Yet when it is something of infinitely more importance it is wrong to share your views and show how others are wrong? That seems hypocritical.

Also it is only natural to want to share with others what you care about, what you think is important, and what you believe would be helpful to them. It wouldn't make sense not to.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 17th, 2017 at 10:29:37 PM permalink
rxwine
For that matter, I don't think events should be created to lure kids under 18 into specific political ideologies either.

Would you object if the Satanist set up events that kids show up to, so they can be converted?

I don't know how much Catholics do that stuff, but Protestants do it quite a bit.

I don't have a problem where an event may be sponsored by different organizations for kids as long as there is no recruitment going on.

Would I approve a Catholic Priest answering questions from curious kids? Sure. As long as he is not actually proselytizing. As long as he hasn't brought them their under a pretense that is not actually what it seems.

Parents may send their kids to someone, and they are free to do it. But otherwise I think it's not a good thing to lure them in.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 18th, 2017 at 8:52:57 AM permalink
FrGamble
I don't know if I agree here. Kids under 18 shouldn't just be walking around without the guidance of faith or the understanding of politics. Why don't we all agree to support open minds and questions. I think we have to teach people from an early age not to agree to something just because someone is nice to you or gives you candy or has a flashy presentation. We need to develop children who are critical thinkers and then people can recruit and share their thoughts about things from religion to politics and they will be able to determine what is true and what is not.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 18th, 2017 at 9:17:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Would you object if the Satanist set up events that kids show up to, so they can be converted?

The Satanic Temple is trying to be very active in schools lately. But conversion isn't a goal, as there is no ritual involved in the Satanic Temple. I think most members are atheists.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 18th, 2017 at 10:15:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: FrGamble
I don't know if I agree here. Kids under 18 shouldn't just be walking around without the guidance of faith or the understanding of politics. Why don't we all agree to support open minds and questions. I think we have to teach people from an early age not to agree to something just because someone is nice to you or gives you candy or has a flashy presentation. We need to develop children who are critical thinkers and then people can recruit and share their thoughts about things from religion to politics and they will be able to determine what is true and what is not.

What I'm saying is, is it's not ethical for adults to push conversion tactics on minors. Nor to use other kids to do it. Nor to set up events with that motive in mind.

Whether some minors have the critical thinking skills necessary already is irrelevant.

I'm not limiting the idea to just religion. A 25 year old pimp trying to get a `16 year old into prostitution is the same idea.

If the parents send their minor kid to a priest then they are taking responsibility for it. But the priest shouldn't be entering into the equation without permission from the parents.

But like I said, I have no problem with a priest who is answering questions that they have been sought out by a kid on his own. It's a distinction not entirely black and white. But I think you know the difference between answering questions and going beyond that, and selling.
February 12th, 2018 at 3:13:48 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You might be more right than we know about Jesus being killed for being an annoyance.
Who wants their very own children to be talked into a cult by loony strangers?

That's definitely the reason Jesus was
executed. He was not the only one
at that time pretending to be a messiah.
It was 'thing' then, a way to get your
name out there. They became a major
pain in Rome's rear end and Jesus had
enough warnings, off with his head. So
to speak..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 12th, 2018 at 4:45:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
How many of those others who claimed to be Messiah can you name? Do you really think it was popular to do so at the risk of being ridiculed by your own people and killed by the Romans? Uprisings and unrest was a pain in the Roman's side, but this was not because someone claimed to be Messiah. Also, Jesus made it clear that His kingdom was not a worldly one and He reached out to both Gentile and Jew. I think the Romans would have quite liked Him in a way. It was His claim to be God and to be one with the Father that caused Him to be killed.