2 votes (25%)
No votes (0%)
1 vote (12.5%)
No votes (0%)

8 members have voted

April 6th, 2017 at 9:59:47 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
When you start seriously talking about taking action, when you are getting ready to move beyond words and threats, there is a cost benefit analysis.

The risks and costs of military action are very high.

In the case of Syria, what benefit do we get from military action, would it be worth the cost, and can you take the risk?

In the case of North Korea it is becoming more clear. The risk and potential cost of allowing NK to have a nuclear missile that could reach our major cities is huge. The real risk and real cost of taking strong action, the case can be more easily made against the potential costs that could be inflicted upon us if we do nothing.

I have never been a fan of rewarding threats and bad behavior with benefits - for example - we are going to build a nuclear program - oh you are going to give us a lot of stuff? then I guess we'll stop. until we want more stuff. That kind of extortion has to end. I think the only way for that to end is with a real threat of real force.

We can't have China's help in a military defeat of North Korea. If we did, China would want their stuff - and possibly keep the land. That would be bad for us. That means we have to do it without them, dismantle their stuff, reunify Korea, and then lots of money would have to pour in from somewhere to support the people of North Korea. No matter how we do it, if we do it, it is going to be very very expensive.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
April 6th, 2017 at 10:06:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Dalex64
No matter how we do it, if we do it, it is going to be very very expensive.

Defending Anchorage, a city of 1/3 million people, will also become expensive. While we can take it for granted that retaliation against North Korea for destroying Anchorage, or a Japanese city will be swift and furious, who wants to be in that position?
April 6th, 2017 at 12:40:04 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
There was a generation where our clandestine (and not so clandestine) services were pretty good at putting in and maintaining friendly regimes. There was a high human cost in oppressed civilians and civil rights, but things stayed pretty stable for decades.

Perhaps we need to get back to that. Public opinion has been very negative on these activities since the Iran Contra scandal, but there's a new generation coming up with no knowledge of those events at all... and NCIS is still a very popular TV show.

The other option is open warfare, with many times the civilian casualties, ruined infrastructure, and destabilized economies. If it comes to this, the DPRK and China need to know that the US will go full force and may cause civilian casualties if their military tries to use population centers as shields.

I think we continue to put pressure on China to contain them, while we work from the inside out to change the DPRK regime. The threat of "Star Wars" anti-missile installations in South Korea and Japan which will also work against Chinese missiles should spur them to take stronger action.
April 6th, 2017 at 12:54:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Ayecarumba
There was a generation where our clandestine (and not so clandestine) services were pretty good at putting in and maintaining friendly regimes. There was a high human cost in oppressed civilians and civil rights, but things stayed pretty stable for decades.

I'm still somewhat suspicious that Castro and Chavez were exposed to a CIA developed carcinogen. Far less obvious than Putin's poisonings escapades.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 6th, 2017 at 1:01:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Personally, I would hate to offer an opinion without getting an estimate of civilian deaths. If the number were under about 10,000, I think war would be the lesser evil.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 6th, 2017 at 1:01:45 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
I think we continue to put pressure on China to contain them, while we work from the inside out to change the DPRK regime.

Put pressure on China to annex them.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 6th, 2017 at 1:22:23 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I still have no idea what Korea is. I looked a bit in my pursuit of learning about my g-pops' service, but whether then or now, I still have no clue.

Going on an education composed almost entirely of memes, it's hard to understand what the problem is or why it's a concern. Testing missiles? Who gives a s#$%? The lion does not concern himself with the fly. Let the fat baby strut as if he's king of the world. Like many leaders, he's great entertainment.

I suppose, then, I'd have to revert to my simplistic idiot's stance. Live and let live. Do whatever and pay no mind. Until, of course, you think you're tough enough to take a swing, at which point you are educated as to where in the pecking order you really stand.

Reckon I'd be a poor diplomat. I mean, I am good at it, usually. Until I get hit.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 6th, 2017 at 1:36:58 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Face
I still have no idea what Korea is. I looked a bit in my pursuit of learning about my g-pops' service, but whether then or now, I still have no clue.

Going on an education composed almost entirely of memes, it's hard to understand what the problem is or why it's a concern. Testing missiles? Who gives a s#$%? The lion does not concern himself with the fly. Let the fat baby strut as if he's king of the world. Like many leaders, he's great entertainment.

I suppose, then, I'd have to revert to my simplistic idiot's stance. Live and let live. Do whatever and pay no mind. Until, of course, you think you're tough enough to take a swing, at which point you are educated as to where in the pecking order you really stand.

Reckon I'd be a poor diplomat. I mean, I am good at it, usually. Until I get hit.

N. Korea may fall before it ever becomes more of a problem. On the other hand, it could also be like ignoring a funny looking mole on your skin.

Just being around, they are always potentially capable of aligning with an even more dangerous rogue country one day. (imagine like Axis powers)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 6th, 2017 at 1:59:06 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
N Korea is a joke. They have nukes and a
huge army, but the rest of the country is
in shambles. The people are starving, what
little infrastructure that exists is falling
apart. They're the old Soviet Union, put
all the money into being a military power
while the country itself remains a 3rd world
craphole. No food on the shelves, no
living wages, just keep the military strong.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 6th, 2017 at 2:26:12 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Personally, I would hate to offer an opinion without getting an estimate of civilian deaths. If the number were under about 10,000, I think war would be the lesser evil.

What if you were one of them? What if your son was one of them?

Reject unnecessary war. Necessary war is hellish enough as it is.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 17<12345>Last »