No votes (0%)
1 vote (20%)
No votes (0%)

5 members have voted

April 10th, 2017 at 7:34:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 301
Quote: kenarman
The Manhattan project had three partners.

Well, don't forget it was mostly the work of several immigrants: Szilard, Wigner, Fermi, Teller, Einstein, and others.
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
April 10th, 2017 at 7:50:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 47
It was a boondoggle that bled funds from the efforts in fighting the real war and exposed the US to great risk when Russia was given the secrets for free.

Perhaps this is a very good parallel for the nuclear weapons in North Korea. Potent weapons in the hands of madmen. More costly economically than as a weapon.
April 10th, 2017 at 10:29:56 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 111
Quote: Fleastiff
It was a boondoggle that bled funds from the efforts in fighting the real war and exposed the US to great risk when Russia was given the secrets for free.

Unfortunately I buy the theory that if you let your neighbors develop something like that first you're potentially in trouble, peace or war.

So even in peacetime, rapid development was a good idea. And unavoidable.

I mean, it's more than a faster flying jet, or some other improvement.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
April 10th, 2017 at 4:22:27 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 47
The primary motivation for the Manhattan Project was the fear that Germany might get it first despite having killed or exiled so many Jewish scientists. A slowr paced, less well funded project would have allowed for fighting the real war. Israel is believed to have dozens if not hundreds of warheads and one submarine that never enters the Mediterranean and is targeted for the USA and the UK. They funded their atomic program privately with nothing in their budget about it at all but it was probably a mistake to allow them to do it much less cooperate with them.
Page 7 of 7« First<4567