No votes (0%)
1 vote (12.5%)
No votes (0%)

8 members have voted

May 6th, 2017 at 8:20:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
I have thought about that 3 day requirement. Does that mean you just have food and water, or does it mean you have backup power and enough fuel (probably propane) to last 3 days. Do you keep water to flush toilets?

Can you defend yourself against up to four aggressive intruders armed with lead pipes or knives or something similar? Perhaps they may try and shut down your generator.

For me food and water. I keep water to drink but not to flush, at least not yet. That really kicks up your requirement. No generator, my place is too small to make that work. Most of the year Just keeping the house closed would keep it warm enough to survive. Might be really cold, but one can bundle up.

The aggressive intruder thing is not worth worrying about, not above a personal firearm. Most short term situations do not get to that level. You just need to hole up a few days. Even in Katrina the stories of robberies and rapes were exaggerated. Looters will probably move on if a place looks occupied.

What you want is to avoid having to leave your home and go to a shelter. Shelters are all kinds of danger, and then your home is open to be looted by the time you come back. But then the other part is personal. Suppose your car breaks down, or your employer stiffs your paycheck. The banks close. Heck, you get sick. The number of reasons you need minimum 3 day supply is endless..
The President is a fink.
May 6th, 2017 at 11:11:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: AZDuffman
For me food and water. I keep water to drink but not to flush, at least not yet.

You usually have enough time to fill your bathtubs. If you only have showers, then it is worth investing in plastic buckets.

I was caught in a hurricane in St Croix in Christiansted when all the rioting and shooting occurred (Company House hotel). Although we had a badly damaged pool in the hotel, it did retain enough water to flush toilets for a few days. Eventually it became infested with mosquitos, so it would have been smart to have some water in the rooms.

Because the hotel had an enclosed pool area (built around a 19th century mansion) we were able to bar the doors at night when the gunfire was the worst.

http://www.companyhousehotel.com/rates.htm

May 6th, 2017 at 1:24:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I have 3 months minimum in food in
the pantry. I wait for sales and stock
up. Just got 50 19oz cans of Progresso
soup for .88 a can, usually at least $1.99
or more. I have a gen and a well, so I
would have water. I worry about gas,
10 gal is all I keep on hand.

Good pantry items are canned fish and
canned veggies like green beans, sauerkraut,
corn, lima beans. One .75 cent can of sardines
is more omega 3 than you need for a day,
and almost enough protein. Hard taco
shells in the box keep for years unopened,
Walmart has them for .88 for 12 shells.
I even like potted meat, lots of fat and
calories in a 3oz can. .38 at Walmart.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 6th, 2017 at 5:10:50 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
I worry about gas, 10 gal is all I keep on hand.

Since a car tank is the easiest way to carry a lot of gasoline to your house, I wonder if this technique works on an American car.

Here is another video that is a promotion for an $89 device.
May 7th, 2017 at 6:17:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Pacomartin

Here is another video that is a promotion for an $89 device.

Good grief that guy in the video is a moron. It is not a siphon, it is a pump. Can't even open the fuel door without making a jerk out of himself.

Gas I keep on hand goes up and down but I plan to get to having 60 gal on hand by later this year. Building a storage bin of old pallets. Already have 4 5 gal cans, build to 12. That is expensive at first so over time. Then you number them 1-12 with a Sharpie. So then in Jan you take #1 and fill it. Add fuel stabilizer. There it sits. Repeat in Feb with #2. Next Jan dump #1 into the car and refill it plus stabilizer. BOOM, you are done.

Kink here is the grocery store lets you earn free or discounted gas up to 30 gal at a time, so I need 3-4 cans to take to the station with me to max the value of the promo. Not a big deal, just burn more off the cans and refill.
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2017 at 10:00:54 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Kink here is the grocery store lets you earn free or discounted gas up to 30 gal at a time, so I need 3-4 cans to take to the station with me to max the value of the promo. Not a big deal, just burn more off the cans and refill.

You could just fill up your vehicle and siphon it off your own vehicle at home.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 7th, 2017 at 10:58:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
You could just fill up your vehicle and siphon it off your own vehicle at home.

You can buy 30 discounted gallons at one time. My car holds 17ish. So I just bring the can.

I do not siphon gas except in an emergency. Dangerous, messy, and I can just take the can with me.
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2017 at 11:31:57 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
You can buy 30 discounted gallons at one time.
When you add back in the price of stabilizer for all that fuel, what does that make the price per gallon?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 7th, 2017 at 11:37:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
When you add back in the price of stabilizer for all that fuel, what does that make the price per gallon?

No need for the stabilizer in this case, I use it within 2 weeks. I have gotten 30 gal for free several times, other times down by $1 or more. The 12 gal plan is longer term.
The President is a fink.
May 7th, 2017 at 11:37:43 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
My Gf is willing to bet that KJU is dead by this time next year, and it will be at the hands of the US gov. Does anyone here agree that the US would actively try to assassinate him?