ESPN's future

August 15th, 2017 at 8:05:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
One advantage of streaming services is that it is relatively easy to turn them on and off for limited amounts of time. While you couldn't turn off cable TV for two weeks while you are on vacation, you can easily turn off a streaming service.

However since you have the option of using your phone to watch a streaming service (possibly by casting signal to a larger TV in a hotel room) there is less need to turn off service during vacation.

Quote: JimRockford
College bowl games would have to be the biggest draw for this service. ESPN has nearly all of the top bowl games.

ESPN service is likely to be turned on and off seasonably.

Netflix established the video on demand streaming service, followed by Hulu and Amazon Prime. Sling TV and Vue established the live TV delivered by Internet. Now Hulu is combining the live TV and Demand library. Direct TV Now is concentrating on live TV. Youtube TV is live TV plus commercial free access to the regular Youtube library.

There are a variety of $3-$6 demand libraries like Hallmark, See-So (comedy), and Acorn (British TV) and CBS.
Most of the premium services like HBO and Showtime and Starz are available as streaming services now.

It is probable that QAM tuner television (Quadratic Amplitude Modulation tuners) which are used by cable companies to transmit digital signals will be largely replaced by Internet Protocol Television in a few years.

The business situation remains to be determined. While Movies have largely returned to the early 1990s in number of tickets sold, they have developed new revenue overseas, with inflation, and by selling IMAX and 3D tickets.

TV is currently getting about $50 a month per household from advertisers. How much of that can be replaced by subscription fees. Or it is possible the industry will shrink.
August 15th, 2017 at 9:17:32 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Pacomartin
ESPN service is likely to be turned on and off seasonably

That's a good point. I need ESPN for college football and regular season college basketball (March Madness is carried on CBS, TNT, TBS and TruTV). I could do without ESPN from March through August.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
August 15th, 2017 at 9:25:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

TV is currently getting about $50 a month per household from advertisers. How much of that can be replaced by subscription fees. Or it is possible the industry will shrink.

I think it will shrink and maybe quite a bit. Narrowcasting keeps growing. People will no longer pay for the buffet, alternatives we did not even know about 10 years ago keep growing.
The President is a fink.
August 15th, 2017 at 9:41:32 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
If the channels were all a la carte, how many channels would you buy if they were each $5 a month?

I would buy the three ESPN channels at $5 each per month but I can't think of a single other channel I would buy. My local channels are free over the air.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 15th, 2017 at 12:02:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
If the channels were all a la carte, how many channels would you buy if they were each $5 a month?

I would buy the three ESPN channels at $5 each per month but I can't think of a single other channel I would buy. My local channels are free over the air.

Maybe 3-4. FNC, Food Network, maybe History, Discovery, A&E but less and less. I can watch more and more online now.
The President is a fink.
August 15th, 2017 at 12:19:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich

Business Insider estimates $7.21 for main ESPN channel and $9.04 for all four ESPN channels (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SEC Network).

The Fox Sports family of networks (FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network) are the next most expensive, with customers paying $1.86 each month for those networks combined. The stand-alone NFL Network is the only other sports entity charging more than $1.00 per month.

It is difficult to know the charge for ESPN minus NFL and NBA will cost, but my guess is $12.

I actually think that cable will get rid of re-transmission of broadcast stations before they get rid of ESPN. Broadcast stations have the right to require that they be re-transmitted on local cable, but if they do so they cannot request a fee. So the local news or independent station that depends on commercials for revenue will still show up on cable.

Up until 1992 the FCC required that cable retransmit broadcast stations because they were afraid that cable companies would cut them out in favor of networks they had a financial interest in. But then the broadcast companies grew envious of the fees being paid to cable networks and requested that the law be changed.

Now that cable series are so numerous and in some cases very popular, the cable companies may risk alienating some of their customers in exchange for lower costs.

There is also the possibility that the over 5000 cable companies with fewer than 100,000 households will stop offering television, and just sell internet. The customer will have to purchase a streaming service.
August 31st, 2017 at 9:01:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
ESPN is the major link in Disney's 9 cable channels, but by breaking their networks into two streaming services they may dismantle the cable TV bundle forever. Cable operators may not include any of their channels in the basic package knowing they are competing with streaming services.

Disney's estimated US cable-TV affiliate fees in 2017
$7.54 ESPN
$0.94 ESPN2
$0.29 ESPNews
$0.25 ESPNU
$9.02

$1.55 Disney Channel
$0.74 SEC Network (South Eastern Conference)
$0.33 Freeform (formerly Disney Family)
$0.22 Disney XD
$0.19 Disney Junior
$3.03

It could mean that within a few years all 7 major media companies in the USA will sell their networks individually, or in corporate owned bundles. There may be more mergers as corporations will join one another to fill in gaps (like Discovery TV and Scripps shows like Food Network and HGTV).
September 5th, 2017 at 7:47:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Total residential revenues (including broadband and voice services) grew by 2%, which means that TV income grew faster than overall revenue. How could this be, given the 1.5 million lost subscribers? The answer lies in the fact that the amount paid per month by the typical U.S. pay TV subscriber continues to increase at a good clip.

It's difficult to believe that cable companies are still compensating by raising rates.

Cord-cutting in the U.S. pay TV market is not only real but accelerating rapidly. In 2016, the industry lost approximately 1.5 million subscribers, compared with just over 1 million in 2015. It would be logical, therefore, if the major pay TV providers were suffering as a result, seeing declining revenues and squeezed margins.

This story first appeared in the May 09, 2017 issue of Variety.
However, those providers as a group continue to see relatively healthy growth in television revenue and overall consumer income year on year. In 2016, TV revenue for distributors with more than a million subscribers increased by 2.9% over 2015. Total residential revenues (including broadband and voice services) grew by 2%, which means that TV income grew faster than overall revenue.

How could this be, given the 1.5 million lost subscribers? The answer lies in the fact that the amount paid per month by the typical U.S. pay TV subscriber continues to increase at a good clip. Though subs may be declining at a rate of 1.5% or so, average revenue per TV subscriber is growing by 2%-6% for those providers that report this number.

As cable-network owners raise their rates, often as part of annual increases baked into contracts, pay TV providers pass those on to consumers in a number of ways. Some parts of the cable bill have risen faster than per-channel fees.

Equipment rentals for set-top boxes and DVRs are one of the fastest-growing categories, not only due to price increases but also factoring in more boxes per household.

Still, premium channels like HBO and Starz are driving revenue growth faster than the base package; they’re among the few channels showing subscriber growth in a generally down market. And paid VOD also has increased in recent years as providers have expanded their libraries and improved the interfaces used to access them.

Despite revenue growth, though, profit margins for pay TV providers haven’t increased, and in a number of cases, they’ve been squeezed. That’s not surprising given both the growth in programming costs, which has outpaced pay TV price increases, and the increasing costs of acquiring new subscribers.

Big profits on broadband and voice services have helped some providers stem the margin crunch a little, but that can’t last, particularly as the pace of those opting out speeds up. In addition to cord-cutting, we’re seeing cord-shaving by customers moving from traditional big packages to smaller bundles.

It’s only a matter of time before price increases can no longer offset declining subscribers and the move to skinny bundles — and in fact becomes counterproductive to retaining customers. At that point, TV revenues are likely to decline more rapidly, and only those companies with strong broadband businesses or direct stakes in content are likely to be able to maintain overall revenue growth.

Jan Dawson is the founder and chief analyst at Jackdaw Research, an advisory firm for the consumer technology market.
September 6th, 2017 at 3:47:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Total residential revenues (including broadband and voice services) grew by 2%, which means that TV income grew faster than overall revenue. How could this be, given the 1.5 million lost subscribers? The answer lies in the fact that the amount paid per month by the typical U.S. pay TV subscriber continues to increase at a good clip.

It's difficult to believe that cable companies are still compensating by raising rates.

I believe it easily. They have a locked concession in a declining market. They know it by now, it may have taken them too long to accept it, but by now it is so clear. In a new market you keep prices low to suck them in, in a declining one you bleed the customer. Young people are now "never evers" as to cable, see no value. Seniors will be the least likely to cancel. So you bleed the current base, just enough that they don't ask the grandkids how on earth this Kodi thing works.

Count the money and look for a sucker to buy the concession so you can retire.
The President is a fink.
September 6th, 2017 at 4:24:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: AZDuffman
In a new market you keep prices low to suck them in, in a declining one you bleed the customer.

But even Google Fiber, which is pretty much state of the art cable is fairly expensive for television.

Google Fiber is $50 for 100 MBPS and $70 for 1000 MBPS (GIGABIT), a phone line is a $10 option.
Television is $90 for 220 channel + as high as $70 for optional premium channels (includes HBO, CINEMAX, SHOWTIME and STARZ).

The same company, Google, offers Youtube Live TV for $35 for 48 channels including ESPN (No Turner channels like CNN, TBS, and TNT).