Fonts and American audiences

April 9th, 2017 at 6:10:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Do you think the following is true?

American audiences are used to reading serif fonts, so these fonts tend to keep the eye reading along the text. sans-serif fonts, on the other hand, make the eye stop. Therefore, sans-serif fonts are typically used for headings and titles, allowing the reader to quickly locate information , while serif fonts are used for descriptions.
April 9th, 2017 at 6:43:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I just use comic sans or wingdings.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2017 at 7:14:18 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I am not sure that is true but have never thought about it much. I think the development is more historical with serif fonts developing from the old illuminated manuscripts. San-serif were developed in the early days of digital storage. Likely to conserve the limited storage and operating space.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 10th, 2017 at 8:04:37 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I think its similar to paper sizes. A4 is popular in Europe whereas we have 8 1/2 by 11. Try to switch things and it looks 'strange' to your customers.
April 15th, 2017 at 10:09:22 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
I am not sure that is true but have never thought about it much. I think the development is more historical with serif fonts developing from the old illuminated manuscripts. San-serif were developed in the early days of digital storage. Likely to conserve the limited storage and operating space.

Sans serif's were used in digital mediums as serifs looked odd on low resolutions screens. Sans-serif fonts have been around for a long time before the digital age, but were used sparingly and for emphasis -- and were often seen as the way a naive, uncultured writer would handwrite.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life