The Holy Trinity

June 11th, 2018 at 1:28:06 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
So my sister just called me to wish me a Happy Birthday and told me my nephew (7 years old), when they were out for Chinese food, asked who the statue of the 'fat guy' was and my sister explained that he was the Buddha and that he was like God for certain people

She said my nephew then yelled out that whoever worships Buddha is wrong because there is only "one true God"

Apparently, his catechism classes are working

#smh

Somewhere, the Padre is smiling
June 11th, 2018 at 1:50:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades

Apparently, his catechism classes are working

Fill their heads with nonsense early
and it will never leave them. Good
job..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 11th, 2018 at 1:53:51 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
Fill their heads with nonsense early
and it will never leave them. Good
job..

I am sure my family does not want me teaching him that it's all nonsense
June 11th, 2018 at 7:42:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
There is no place in the Bible that says the three words "Jesus is God," The Bible never records Jesus saying the precise words, “I am God.”

That would not be very Jesus-like to be so blunt. He always challenged people to think. How about this:

Quote: John 14:6
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 11th, 2018 at 7:55:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: SOOPOO
... but if any one of them goes to their house of worship and announces that God speaks to them they would be carted away.

One of these days I'm going to just give you all a little history about myself, but in my early 20's I brushed up against a charismatic Christian movement called the Vineyard. I could write a short book about the experience. Anyway, it was not unusual for some of the regulars to ... be filled with the holy spirit and give some message god was telling them to give the church.
June 11th, 2018 at 8:34:27 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: WizardJesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
:

Meaningless gobblygook meant to be
confusing. Why speak directly when
you can be cryptic and mysterious.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 11th, 2018 at 8:36:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
not unusual for some of the regulars to ... be filled with the holy spirit and give some message god was telling them to give the church.

Saw that in the group I was in. They
would speak in tongues and rant
and rave and somebody would
interpret.
June 11th, 2018 at 9:09:52 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Saw that in the group I was in. They
would speak in tongues and rant
and rave and somebody would
interpret.

Yes, I forgot about the interpreter.

Here is a story I recall vividly. There was an announcement in the middle of service at the Goleta Vineyard. A kid, girl about 8 years old, was missing from the Sunday school. The pastor requested that nobody panic and asked if anybody knew where she was.

Nobody did and, of course, everybody started panic.

The pastor then suggested that everybody pray and ask god for a vision where she was. This then got kind of weird but you heard a lot of ... mumbling in tongues from some of the heavy hitters. One of them really started to get loud and everybody else quieted down to hear what was going on. She then uttered a bunch of stuff that sounded like a cross between babbling and baby talk.

The pastor then asked if anyone could interpret it. Another heavy hitter stood up and said that god said that the girl had wandered off and was lost in a nearby neighborhood, but was fine. The pastor then asked if anyone could confirm the interpretation and yet another heavy hitter did.

So, then half the congregation volunteered to start canvassing every possible direction. Just as everybody was about to leave in a panic the girl and one of the youth ministers quietly returned. They had been at a nearby McDonalds the whole time just getting breakfast.
June 11th, 2018 at 11:46:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
The pastor then asked if anyone could interpret it. Another heavy hitter stood up and said that god said that the girl had wandered off and was lost in a nearby neighborhood, but was fine. The pastor then asked if anyone could confirm the interpretation and yet another heavy hitter did. .

It's all unverifiable nonsense of the
worst kind. Just like exorcisms,
it's supernatural baloney to keep
the believers feeling like they're
special.
June 12th, 2018 at 4:23:30 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
It's all unverifiable nonsense of the
worst kind. Just like exorcisms,
it's supernatural baloney to keep
the believers feeling like they're
special.

I think even the church leaders would quietly admit that much of it was just emotional. The branch of the church in Toronto was one of our most famous: Toronto Blessing.