The Holy Trinity

June 13th, 2018 at 4:33:05 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
So you don't believe in God. Do you go one step further and prove a negative? Do you know for certain that there is no God? How can you prove this?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 13th, 2018 at 4:44:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
Do you know for certain that there is no God? How can you prove this?

I can prove there is no god
equally as well as you can
prove there is one.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2018 at 4:47:13 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: Evenbob
prove there is one.

Just. Got. Real.
June 13th, 2018 at 5:16:11 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: aceofspades
Just. Got. Real.

FrG thinks his religion works so
well because there is a god. No.

It works because there in NO GOD
and nobody can prove otherwise.
If FrG could wrap his mind around
this, it would change his life. He
won't even try..

I guarantee it's never occurred to him
that he can't prove gods existence
because he is also dealing with a negative.
The same negative atheists deal with.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 13th, 2018 at 5:26:26 PM permalink
aceofspades
FrG thinks his religion works so
well because there is a god. No.

It works because there in NO GOD
and nobody can prove otherwise.
If FrG could wrap his mind around
this, it would change his life. He
won't even try..

Exactly, he cannot prove that Zeus, Poseidon and Venus do not exist
June 13th, 2018 at 5:32:11 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Also can you please watch your language?

Although you phrased it as a question, I have noticed the word "ass" is being spoken on network television now. It could be they are referring to a donkey. Depending on context, I may let it go or not. Ass-backwards is tame enough for me.

Quote: Matthew 24:1-2
And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples, saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me.

Quote: EvenBob
This is why god religions flourish,
not because god can be proven,
it's because he can't. Because there
is no god, he can be anything they
dream up. Get enough dunderheads*
to agree with them, and they have the
power the Church had for 1500 years.

Note, my emphasis of "dunderheads."

I am again insulted.

EB has given permission for me to say that he confessed to the alleged insult via PM and acknowledges that FrG feels insulted, for which he is asking absolution.

Upon careful examination, EB was careful to not call FrG a dunderhead. My interpretation is he meant the followers of the church, not the leaders, like FrG. Still, I can see how FrG would feel insulted.

There isn't enough there to warrant a suspension but I do think a penance is on order. The penance will be to say three nice things about FrG.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 13th, 2018 at 5:40:18 PM permalink
FrGamble
prove there is one.

So are you saying we are both being equally ridiculous and stupid in our respective beliefs? If you imply I am stupid because I believe in God, does that then mean that you are being stupid in claiming there is certainly no God?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 13th, 2018 at 5:42:46 PM permalink
aceofspades
So are you saying we are both being equally ridiculous and stupid in our respective beliefs? If you imply I am stupid because I believe in God, does that then mean that you are being stupid in claiming there is certainly no God?

Padre - saying there is a "God" is a positive statement - it is a made-up statement just as my dinosaur is a made-up statement - and, as such, a positive statement must be proven
Your only evidence is a man, 2000 years or so ago, proclaimed it as true
I could say all atoms contain tiny unicorns - it is not up to science to disprove me, it is up to me to prove that tiny unicorns live inside atoms
June 13th, 2018 at 5:45:41 PM permalink
FrGamble

I have said many times that I, nor anyone can prove God exists! If you are looking for mathematical proof for anything you believe in real life you are just fooling yourself. Belief is rational belief based on the accumulation of evidence, logical philosophical arguments, the testimony of others, and personal experiences. This is what you don't get and something you seem you cannot wrap your mind around. I know you disregard all the evidence, the logical arguments, testimony of others, and my personal experiences. However, you do not have any of the above to support your position that there is no God. Do you see the difference here? You hold a position you have admitted you cannot prove. What you don't do or say is provide any reasons for why you hold such a position. I don't mind that you can't prove to me that there is no God, as you have said many times; you cannot prove a negative. My problem is that you believe there is no God without any support.
June 13th, 2018 at 5:50:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
Padre - saying there is a "God" is a positive statement - it is a made-up statement just as my dinosaur is a made-up statement - and, as such, a positive statement must be proven
Your only evidence is a man, 2000 years or so ago, proclaimed it as true
I could say all atoms contain tiny unicorns - it is not up to science to disprove me, it is up to me to prove that tiny unicorns live inside atoms

You like reductio ad absurdio don't you? You also really like straw men. My evidence is much more than the historical person of Jesus Christ who changed human history in a way that no one ever has or will. It is also miracles, scientific evidence, testimony of others, my personal experiences, and philosophical arguments.

You are right that no one will take your favorite dinosaur or your tiny unicorns seriously until you provide some evidence of their existence.