The Holy Trinity

Page 50 of 51« First<4748495051>
June 16th, 2018 at 12:15:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
You want to start a thread where we read the Bible together book by book?

Starting with the OT? We can discuss
verses like this:

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again."
Exodus 21: 7-8

"Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." Psalm 137

“This is what the Lord Almighty says... ‘Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.’” (1 Samuel 15:3)
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 16th, 2018 at 12:59:31 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It is probably best to start with one book of your choosing. This way you can get context of the history of Israel and the culture of the time as God slowly but surely moves His people and the world to reject violence. A lesson we still have not yet learned. This means of course that you also have to keep in mind that the Bible is a journey of faith culminating in the person of Jesus Christ the culmination of all God was doing and the final word on establishing laws of love and peace.

Picking out small verses and such out of context is not a Bible Study it is called proof texting.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 16th, 2018 at 1:12:08 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is probably best to start with one book of your choosing. .

I have little interest in this.
The Bible has to be the most
boring book ever written.
But you guys, hey, knock
yourselves out.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 16th, 2018 at 1:48:49 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Would I be correct in saying the New Testament has the same books in the Catholic and Protestant bibles? Furthermore, I believe the Catholic bible adds some Old Testament books, but am not sure.

On a rafting trip I had a bet with a Catholic about whether some particular book was in the bible and he insisted on using the Vulgate translation, whatever that is. Long story short -- I won $1!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 16th, 2018 at 1:50:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Evenbob
I have little interest in this.
The Bible has to be the most
boring book ever written.
But you guys, hey, knock
yourselves out.

Didn't you just say the easiest way to convert a Christian to Atheism is to get him to read the bible? Since this seems to be your mission, don't you think you should have a sharp understanding of the scriptures as well to use in battle?
June 16th, 2018 at 2:47:00 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Wizard
Would I be correct in saying the New Testament has the same books in the Catholic and Protestant bibles? Furthermore, I believe the Catholic bible adds some Old Testament books, but am not sure.

Yes the New Testament is the same for everybody. The Protestants did remove some books from the Old Testament.

Wizard the problem with doing a real study is that like many atheists Evenbob is only able to google a few passages that they use to try to show the whole Bible is like those few same quotes that I have heard hundreds of times.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 16th, 2018 at 3:06:39 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard the problem with doing a real study is that like many atheists Evenbob is only able to google a few passages that they use to try to show the whole Bible is like those few same quotes that I have heard hundreds of times.

A proper bible study should focus on a short part at a time. Like half a chapter per week. Quoting other parts of the bible should only be done if is germane to the passage at hand, or not allowed at all.

Looks like it doesn't matter as it is no fun unless we get a handful of people.
June 16th, 2018 at 5:00:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Didn't you just say the easiest way to convert a Christian to Atheism is to get him to read the bible?

I'm already an atheist, I've read the
Bible. I read the NT 4-5 times at
least. I would be bored to death
in a Bible study. Lets do the Book
of Mormon for a good laugh.
June 16th, 2018 at 5:26:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Wizard the problem with doing a real study is that like many atheists Evenbob is only able to google a few passages

NO WORRIES! I won't interfere with
you trying to find god in the Bible.
I already looked many times, he's
not there.

The biggest problem with the Bible,
and why there are 2500 brands
of Xtionity, is it's vague and contradictory.
It's really worthless from any
practical point of view.
June 16th, 2018 at 5:28:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
A proper bible study should focus on a short part at a time.

Want to learn about the NT? Get
any book written by historian
Bart Ehrman, he's the expert. He
will set you straight.
Page 50 of 51« First<4748495051>