The Holy Trinity

April 24th, 2017 at 4:03:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
What you don't seem to get is that the more gusto as you call it the evil men use to persecute the Church the more it grows.

Would you like to have a new round of persecutions to test the point?

Truth is: all we can say is what happened in late antiquity. We cannot draw generalizations about it.

Quote:
From both exterior and interior threats and destruction the Church continues to thrive in ways no one can explain besides turning to its supernatural foundation.

I've a bridge I could be persuaded to sell cheap...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 24th, 2017 at 5:02:58 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
To my original point, most of the time it
was peaceful, nothing was going on at all.

Even your own links prove this to false. You like to grab onto a little bit of truth and blow it so much out of proportion to support your views that you lose credibility.

Quote:
Huh? It survived because it was mostly
left alone.

Huh? Today it is the most persecuted religion there is. More Christians have been martyred in recent years than in anytime in history, except maybe the years of the early Church. Maybe it would help you compare the persecutions of Christianity in the early years of its existence to any other religion and then maybe look at the persecutions of it today. Does anything compare besides what was done to our elder brothers and sisters in the faith, the Jewish people?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 24th, 2017 at 6:13:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Even your own links prove this to false.

"For most of the first three hundred years of Christian history, Christians were able to live in peace, practice their professions, and rise to positions of responsibility."

Quote:
More Christians have been martyred in recent years than in anytime in history

Could this be because there are now more
Christians than any time in history and
they love to live in places where they're
hated? You act like they're being hunted
in the streets of NYC and Berlin and
being martyred every day.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 24th, 2017 at 8:38:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
"For most of the first three hundred years of Christian history, Christians were able to live in peace, practice their professions, and rise to positions of responsibility."

I haven't found this quote in any of the links you provided, but surely it is there somewhere. However, it doesn't make sense with all the other things it said about the persecutions of the early Church. Maybe if they hid their faith or sacrificed to the pagan gods they could do these things, but not as living out their Christian faith.

Quote:
Could this be because there are now more
Christians than any time in history

No it is because of the persecutions we are suffering.

Quote:
and they love to live in places where they're
hated?

Please think about what you write before you write it. Is the Christian persecution the Christian's fault for living where they were born? Um...the answer is no. Is it the fault of a rape victim because what they were wearing? also no.

Quote:
You act like they're being hunted
in the streets of NYC and Berlin and
being martyred every day.

They are being martyred everyday| Maybe not in NYC or Berlin, but in many other places of the world. In NYC the persecution is of a less violent but nevertheless oppresive kind.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 24th, 2017 at 8:52:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Is the Christian persecution the Christian's fault for living where they were born? .

Certainly! If I live in a Black neighborhood and
let everyone know I hate Blacks, whose fault
is it when I get the crap beat out of me on
a regular basis. It's my own fault. I don't
smear myself with fish blood and jump into
shark infested waters, it's suicidal. If I want
to be a known Christian in a country that
hates and kills Christians, whose fault is it
when I end up dead.

If your religion is so dang it all important to
you that you have to practice it in hostile
environments, what does that say about your
common sense. Keep to yourself and live to
fight another day will get you much further.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 27th, 2018 at 7:49:54 AM permalink
FrGamble
Today is the celebration of the Holy Trinity. I was just thinking about God's essence or nature being relationship. I feel that this helps us understand why there is something rather than nothing. A family wants to grow, healthy relationships invite others to take part. God's inner nature as relationship invites us to be in relationship with Him. I find this extraordinary.

Anyway my main thought is that obviously atheism has no answer to the why things and especially thinking things like us exist, but a concept of God as a solitary person also doesn't seem to provide an answer. If God who is all perfect and complete in Himself from all eternity, why create anything at all? If God is love in a Trinity of persons we are created out of love to be part of this loving relationship, like a family. But if God is alone and solitary I just don't understand the reasons for creation. Maybe the Muslims or Jews on the forum can help me understand?
May 27th, 2018 at 9:28:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
If God who is all perfect and complete in Himself from all eternity, why create anything at all?

Perhaps the need to create is innate. The need to help life. Humans keep plants and pets. God keeps us.
The President is a fink.
May 27th, 2018 at 9:43:10 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: AZDuffman
Perhaps the need to create is innate. The need to help life. Humans keep plants and pets. God keeps us.

Good answer.
May 27th, 2018 at 11:14:30 AM permalink
Evenbob
Today is the celebration of the Holy Trinity.

More hocus pocus nonsense from a
hocus pocus religion. The Jews don't
believe in a trinity, if Jesus was here
he would reject it also as idol worship
rubbish. As does any person who
really examines what it's supposed
to mean.
May 27th, 2018 at 12:28:50 PM permalink
FrGamble
Umm....Jesus is part of the Holy Trinity and revealed to us the Trinity. Not quite sure where you are going with this?