No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

2 members have voted

May 3rd, 2017 at 7:02:15 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Disagree that a few days is enough time to "do" a city. IMO you're really only scratching the surface in that time. Not saying that there is anything wrong with only staying a few days and infact that's what I usually do but there is much more to see and do in these places than could ever be fit in 3 or 4 days. A few days gives you enough time to work out whether you like a place and if it's somewhere you'd like to come back and see more of.
May 3rd, 2017 at 7:28:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Aussie
Disagree that a few days is enough time to "do" a city. IMO you're really only scratching the surface in that time. Not saying that there is anything wrong with only staying a few days and infact that's what I usually do but there is much more to see and do in these places than could ever be fit in 3 or 4 days. A few days gives you enough time to work out whether you like a place and if it's somewhere you'd like to come back and see more of.

To each his own. I think most people err the other way and just spend one or two days in a city and move on.

The issue at hand with me is I'll be in Amsterdam for four days on business and then will have five days on my own. I'd like to at least visit Belgium and Luxembourg but don't aim to become an expert on either place. I'm debating whether to just stay in the same place in Amsterdam the whole time and day trip elsewhere or move from stop to stop.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 3rd, 2017 at 8:03:52 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Maybe go south and see if you can get your money out of that crummy bank?
May 3rd, 2017 at 8:13:52 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
Quote: Wizard
To each his own. I think most people err the other way and just spend one or two days in a city and move on.

No doubt and I actually specifically mentioned that I only spend a few days in each location as well. Nothing wrong with that. But that doesn't mean you're "doing" the place though which is my point. You simply can't see much more than the major tourist attractions in a big city in a few days. There just isn't time.

Take NYC for example. What can you see in say 3 days? Times Square, some of mid town, a couple of museums, a small part of Central Park, Statue of Liberty, go up the Empire State Building, catch a show and a sports event, maybe a bus tour and some restaurants and bars. Then you're done and off to the airport. You've spent your whole time running around and have done plenty but you've only scratched the surface. You still haven't seen even a tiny bit of all the different neighbourhoods. I've been there 3 times spending 4, 5 & 4 nights. While I've seen plenty I'm not going to kid myself that I've done the place. And that's just fine because it gives me reason to come back to a place I love. Big cities like London & Paris are the same.
May 4th, 2017 at 7:18:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Looks like I will be confined to what Eurail calls Benelux, which is the group of Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg.

Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg are closely related. In 1830, the Belgium broke from the Netherland. Luxembourg has been independent from Netherlands since 1867 although the King of the Netherlands remained Head of State as Grand Duke of Luxembourg, maintaining a personal union between the two countries until 1890.

Benelux the customs union of Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxemburg, formed October 1947 which predated the Treaty of Paris (1951) which forming the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC): Germany, France, Italy, the Benelux countries.

Luxembourg actually takes longer by train from Amsterdam by train than Dusseldorf and Cologne as the trains are not as fast
Amsterdam to Cologne: 2 hr 40 min
Amsterdam to Brussels: 2 hr 4 min
Brussels to Luxembourg: 3 hr 14 min

Personally, if I was in Amsterdam, I would make the 35 mile trip to Rotterdam to see the place where my ancestors passed through on their way to America in 1750.
May 4th, 2017 at 11:49:34 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
Maybe go south and see if you can get your money out of that crummy bank?

I'm technically a stockholder in the Laiki bank. I should ask to sell my shares -- they would surely get a good laugh.
May 4th, 2017 at 1:04:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Everything in EU is too crowded or too small.
Small cars, small hotel rooms and bathrooms,
restaurants, shops, it's all small. Too many
people, too many crowds, I much prefer to
stay here. I'd like to visit France in 1957, but
that option is gone.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 4th, 2017 at 4:15:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Evenbob
Everything in EU is too crowded or too small.

As opposed to Tokyo or Hong Kong?

May 6th, 2017 at 10:59:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Kind of ironic that in five trips to Europe I still haven't made it there.

Which destination did you go to on your five trips? I seem to remember a map...

I think I've made it to London about 7 times.
May 6th, 2017 at 3:03:22 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Which destination did you go to on your five trips? I seem to remember a map...

I think I've made it to London about 7 times.

Thanks for asking.

Trip 1: USSR and Finland. This was when I was in college and my father had to back out of the trip at the last minute so I took his place. This was in February 1986, back when it still was very much the USSR.

Trip 2: Germany, Iceland, Poland: This trip was mainly to finally visit my relatives to Germany, which I had been promising to do for years. Spent a few days in Iceland because I had to make a connection there anyway. My aunt lives within a mile of Poland so I insisted on going there. We spent an afternoon there to humor me.

Trip 3: Monaco, France, Italy: This short trip was kindly paid for by Microgaming. Even business class tickets to Nice, which were in the five figures in cost. They spared no expense while there either. Unfortunately, I had a TV appearance right after the trip so I couldn't linger on my own time. Monaco is very close to the border with Italy so I did a quick jaunt to Ventimiglia (sp?) to cross another country off my list.

Trip 4: Germany: This was to an igaming conference in Berlin. Spent a few days in Frankfurt as well visiting with my cousin. Then I spent a solid 10 days or so in Berlin. I considered taking a side trip to Denmark, but was having such fun in Berlin I just stayed there.

Trip 5: London, Malta: Another igaming show. Spent a solid week in London (during a subway strike, which I've ranted about many times). Also did a side trip to Malta for a few days with some friends in the business.

The plans for this trip are a week in Amsterdam, half the time for a conference, and three nights in Brussels. I may day trip it out of either place if get bored. Considering making a day trip to Luxembourg from Brussels, since you posted the time for that earlier. Back when I was having my foreign bank account trouble I seriously looked into Luxembourg, but it seems they won't even talk to Americans about a bank account unless the numbers are in the millions.
Page 2 of 4<1234>