New British coin

Page 1 of 41234>
May 3rd, 2017 at 5:48:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

The British one pound coin was introduced on 21 April 1983, so after 34 years extensive counterfeiting has necessitated a replacement. Four years earlier the USA had introduced a dollar coin that was the same size as a quarter.

It looks as if the USA has given up on the dollar coin forever.
May 3rd, 2017 at 6:00:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin

USA will keep trying from time to time. And keep failing. Until the paper dollar is pulled and the dollar coin is made larger than a quarter to tell without looking it will fail. But the siren song of a dollar coin goes on.
The President is a fink.
May 3rd, 2017 at 6:02:20 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Do you know why the face of a U.S. Silver Eagle says "One Dollar" on it?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 3rd, 2017 at 6:47:56 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89

New dollar coins continue to be produced every year. It's getting rid of the paper dollar that's the problem. I am hoping President Trump pushes it as a cost saving move.
May 3rd, 2017 at 7:08:05 PM permalink
Aussie
Threads: 2
I wonder how long it will take for currency with Queen Elizabeth II on it to be removed from circulation and replaced with that of the new monarch when the time comes? I imagine they (and Australia for that matter) would immediately begin minting the new currency but would they begin recalling the old stuff straight away or just let it die a natural death?
May 3rd, 2017 at 7:21:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I've said this before but the Susan B. Anthony quarter was a total disaster because it was just a little bigger than a quarter. The next one, with a series of past presidents, was better because they were at least a different color than the quarter, copper in color, but still too small. The solution is simple. Canadian coins are already the same size as U.S. coins from 25 cents on down. Just use their dollar size, which is copper in color, thick, and with sides, I think 11 of them. They are easy to identify in a handful of change. I have the same position on the $2 coin. Also, we have to just quit printing $1 bills. The $1 and $2 coins won't be accepted until there is no alternative.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 3rd, 2017 at 8:19:40 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
IJust use their dollar size, which is copper in color, thick, and with sides, I think 11 of them. They are easy to identify in a handful of change. I have the same position on the $2 coin. Also, we have to just quit printing $1 bills. The $1 and $2 coins won't be accepted until there is no alternative.

The Canadian Loonie and the US dollar coin have almost identical diameter and thickness. I think the intention in the early 1980's was to have both of them accepted by the same vending machines. A US quarter has diameter 24.3 mm for comparison.

Canadian Loonie
Diameter 26.50 mm
Thickness 1.95 mm
Mass 6.27g (was 7.00g before 2012)
Edge Eleven-sided, smooth
Composition 2012– steel,brass plating

Presidential One Dollar Coin
Diameter 26.49 mm
Thickness 2.00 mm
Mass 8.100 g
Edge Engraved: text "E pluribus unum", the coin's mint mark, its year of issuance, and 13 five-pointed stars
Composition Copper with manganese brass cladding: 88.5% Cu 6% Zn 3.5% Mn 2% Ni
May 4th, 2017 at 6:08:17 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
The Canadian Loonie and the US dollar coin have almost identical diameter and thickness. I think the intention in the early 1980's was to have both of them accepted by the same vending machines. A US quarter has diameter 24.3 mm for comparison.

Thanks. Somehow I thought the US was still a little smaller but I stand corrected. I should order a lot of them from the bank and make small purchases with them, to encourage their use.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 4th, 2017 at 6:22:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
Thanks. Somehow I thought the US was still a little smaller but I stand corrected. I should order a lot of them from the bank and make small purchases with them, to encourage their use.

I'd say use them as tips but waitresses may hate you for it.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2017 at 6:53:56 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I have fallen into the trap of collecting them, one of each imprint and mint.

The vending machine here at work gives you the dollar coins for change. So I have been making $1 purchases with a $5 to get them, when possible.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 1 of 41234>