Gentrification

Page 1 of 212>
May 4th, 2017 at 4:01:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
This is happening across the USA.

It is usually called "gentrification." I see it in town here all over. Sometimes it is like in the article, younger whites and asians thinking it is "cool" to move to the gritty neighborhood. Other times it is because the place is not all that bad and a short commute. Some people would rather a stately old home than a McMansion. Some like the small yards and walkability. A few places are "planned gentrification" where an old factory of some type is converted to expensive lofts.

For sure this is a topic to discuss. It is weird to be going by choice to neighborhoods that 20 years ago one would avoid, not that you had to avoid it because there was no reason to go in the first place. There was little there an outsider would have reason to visit for, legit anyhow. Now these places are getting built back up. Law of unintended consequences running wild.

I have seen graffiti with less then welcoming messages for the new arrivals. As the article says, new folks move in and the residents inevitably get pushed aside in at least some ways. A poor, older black couple might own the home or have some other locked-in situation, but will they visit all the coffee houses and other services out of their price range?

One also wonders where some of the people will go as units rent and sell to people paying more? Some of the places I have seen here, I am talking now going for almost mid-six figures. For row houses with no off-street parking, postage stamp back yard. 1990s you are talking less than 100K. In the 1960s suburban-migration the inner cities were left behind and cheap. Now the people priced out of the cities cannot really move to the suburbs. For sure it will sort itself out, but it may not be easy.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2017 at 11:25:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
This probably has nothing to do with your
subject, but I'm tired of advertisers pushing
mixed race couples at us on TV. Asian
women with black guys, Latino women with
Asian men. Try going to the families of
women like this and ask if they want their
sister/daughter marrying outside of the
race. They do not. They'll get right in your
face about it. Libs won't be happy till the
world is one big blur and all the distinctions
of any race have disappeared.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 4th, 2017 at 11:42:48 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
Asian men..

Doesn't bother me
I come from a mixed race family
Its great.

Try going to the families of
race. They do not.They'll get right in your
face about it .

WRONG.
Both sides of the family warmly welcomed my father and mother.
Love trumps hate
Everybody on the Chinese side loved my father, a Navy sailor that put himself through Yale to get his doctorate
Everybody on the Irish/American side loved my Chinese mother, a fantastic cook that worked hard spoiling visiting relatives with her kitchen creations.

I remember a wedding with lots of relatives and friends
My white uncle was drunk and wasted. A friend of his, an EB type snickered at my uncle regarding having Chinese in his Irish/American white family
My Uncles response, "Best people to have in the family" :-) I knew he was honestly saying this because he was wasted.

People that hate due simply to race are a SAD lot
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 4th, 2017 at 11:56:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Asian men. Try going to the families of
race. They do not. They'll get right in your
face about it. Libs won't be happy till the
world is one big blur and all the distinctions
of any race have disappeared.

Advertisers will always push the PC thing on us. I rarely see ads but have noticed what you are talking about. I think you are right about the families. People loath to admit it, but it is there. Used to be the kids of such a couple had a very, very hard time. Some still do. I said her once about the half black/half white girl was so worked up about working the NAACP convention for how she was treated the prior year.

To get back to the point of the thread, these are mixed neighborhoods, but they are "melting pots on a cold flame." People live near each other, but a "mornin, lovely day!" is as far as interaction goes.
The President is a fink.
May 4th, 2017 at 12:53:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: terapined

WRONG.
Both sides of the family warmly welcomed my father and mother.

That's far from the case in a lot
of situations. I saw it first hand when I
dealt with the public. Black men I talked
to did not want their sisters marrying
white men. Latino men would get furious
at just the thought of their sister marrying
anybody but a Latino. And that's just the
tip of the iceberg, don't even talk about
Muslim women marrying outside their
closed in group.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 4th, 2017 at 1:09:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A question of values.

Post war white flight to the suburbs meant kids, roads, trains, horizontal sprawl, parking places and a lifestyle wherein mothers refer to themselves as taxi drivers as they shuttle kids around town.

Aided by various growth management policies that created green zones, cities have to re-instensify their internal growth. People no longer flock to the suburbs. The suburbs are expensive, spread out and distant. The yuppies no longer rush to procreate, no longer tolerate long commutes, value a twenty-minute existence, wherein everywhere they go is reachable in twenty minutes or they don't go there at all.

Upscale bars, restaurants, brew pubs, music venues are in-city, why trek to the suburbs where a bar is a half hour away and a concert venue is an hour in the opposite direction? Kids can cell phone/computer from anywhere, they don't need to be in the barren wasteland of suburbia's developments.

People in the gentrification areas are either owners or renters. If owners they will become isolated if they do not embrace yuppiedom activities. If renters, they will move further and further away from the re-birthed downtowns. Consider the sixteen year old girl who started a fashion blog, used it to form a wholesale fashion company, created marketing videos that went viral (such as First Kiss), used the lifestyle blog to tout restaurants and bars in the downtown LA area and then leveraged the whole thing into a major real estate development in downtown LA which was rented/sold via her lifestyle and fashion blogs.

Renters in Portland, Oregon are moving into stealth camper vans or more distant rental proerties, buyers are moving into revitalized neighborhoods. Parks and Trains abound but mainly sidewalks and bicylce paths abound. Cars? Why? Just Uber if you really need a car for something.

Race? Not really the issue. Economics, lifestyle and value of time are the issues. Race will work itself out, it always does. After teh war, race was used to 'turn' neighborhoods as many Black women who had lots of kids were hired as Block Busters. Now its the yuppies turn to be blockbusters. Instead of a black woman being piad to walk up and down a block dragging six kids and a shopping cart full of laundry, its yuppies who are paid to walk through litter strewn sidewalks carrying a
Soy Milk Latte.
May 4th, 2017 at 1:27:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Fleastiff

Renters in Portland, Oregon are moving into stealth camper vans

I was reading about that, there's a whole
culture of van people now. They live in
pop up vans or regular vans and are
nomads, taking part time jobs to barely
survive. Or the have some kind of
supplemental gov't income. I read some
of their blogs, most are in the 20's and
30's. No thanks.
May 4th, 2017 at 2:14:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
. No thanks.
That may not be an option for inner city renters who get rent increases but can't afford to flee to teh suburbs and do not want to change school systems.
May 4th, 2017 at 2:33:49 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff

Upscale bars, restaurants, brew pubs, music venues are in-city, why trek to the suburbs where a bar is a half hour away and a concert venue is an hour in the opposite direction? Kids can cell phone/computer from anywhere, they don't need to be in the barren wasteland of suburbia's developments.

People in the gentrification areas are either owners or renters. If owners they will become isolated if they do not embrace yuppiedom activities. If renters, they will move further and further away from the re-birthed downtowns.

I started noticing how nice walkability was in the very late 1990s. I grew up in suburbs but a walkable part of them. Though us and maybe 3 neighbors would walk, the rest fired up the V-8 to get a newspaper. I guess that made me notice. My current place is lower-middle class walkable. But I noticed the yards small but kept. A few places being remodeled and new siding, just a kept place. And lots of walkability. I walk to the VFW to play poker. Several bars I can walk to--I would have lived for that 20 years ago! New brewpub and coffeehouse. I dream of it becoming a gentrified, hipster place where I will have a paid-off house, maybe a rental. Even filming a Netflix series now, so who knows.

But this is not a "real" gentrifying area at the moment and the racial makeup was not minority. More of a place where people aged and aged so the houses did not improve 1965-2000 but now could get some yuppies dumping money. But here is the thing, same as anywhere else. $600 gets you a nice place and $800 really nice house. Who cannot afford that? But let it gentrify, and you will not touch for less than $800 or more for a smaller place. The busline is right in town. You cannot beat it. More people discover it, the lower end is screwed.

I am not complaining, just saying look for this as a hidden problem the next 20 years.

Quote:
Race? Not really the issue. Economics, lifestyle and value of time are the issues. Race will work itself out, it always does. After teh war, race was used to 'turn' neighborhoods as many Black women who had lots of kids were hired as Block Busters. Now its the yuppies turn to be blockbusters. Instead of a black woman being piad to walk up and down a block dragging six kids and a shopping cart full of laundry, its yuppies who are paid to walk through litter strewn sidewalks carrying a
Soy Milk Latte.

The message on the mailbox said, "GET OUT YUPPIE SCUM!" in magic marker. This was say 10 blocks from where the Pirates play. Across the street from that they were trying to put in a high-rise apartment building, which I think was denied. The place is still not the most safe, I was told avoid the gas station late in the day. But around the corner from said gas station was a gentrifying set of row homes.

The magic marker on the bridge nearby said "KILL GOOGLE WORKERS!"
The President is a fink.
May 22nd, 2017 at 9:01:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
[link-https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-05-22/america-s-cities-are-running-out-of-room]America’s Cities Are Running Out of Room

The trend is all over. People not caring about yard and garage but more on location. How dense will people prefer to live?
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 212>