How Long...?

February 5th, 2013 at 1:01:58 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
How long before pencils will only be found in art supply stores? Will we use them in schools forever?
February 5th, 2013 at 1:24:57 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Ayecarumba
How long before pencils will only be found in art supply stores? Will we use them in schools forever?

Useful for filling in Sudoku.... I believe pencil sales shot up massively when they became popular in the newspaper.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 5th, 2013 at 2:15:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

What development has made pencils obsolete?

To be sure, the only reason I've a classic pencil in my desk is that it came as a free sample in a box of sheet protectors. But I do keep a mechanical pencil handy at my desk (and a separate eraser).

The next big thing to go, bigger than turntables and VCRs, will be landlines for phones. At least in the home, where they really serve no useful purpose anymore. The wires will remain, but only as a means of delivering internet access.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 5th, 2013 at 3:58:13 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Nareed
What development has made pencils obsolete?

The proliferation of tablet style computers and electronic communication. One of the features touted on the new Samsung Galaxy phones is the ability to exchange files by touching the phones together. Who needs to write a phone number or address down when you can record a note, or use speech to text. Typing on a virtual keyboard, or writing with a stylus on a tablet computer could soon replace writing with a pencil or pen. If it wasn't for the need to permanently mark belongings, I think the pen's days would be numbered too.
February 5th, 2013 at 4:01:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I see them being used in schools forever or almost. Math homework almost always was required in pencil in my day, and I imagine still is. A pencil allows doodling and can write on more things than pen. Sometimes you need to write not type.
The President is a fink.
February 5th, 2013 at 4:29:14 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I see them being used in schools forever or almost. Math homework almost always was required in pencil in my day, and I imagine still is. A pencil allows doodling and can write on more things than pen. Sometimes you need to write not type.

Electronic paper is not yet paper, and not yet as easy to write on as paper. Not for this guy at least. People 20 years younger might find it okay. The pen will carry on for another 40 years. As will the pencil.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 5th, 2013 at 4:46:42 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
Electronic paper is not yet paper, and not yet as easy to write on as paper. Not for this guy at least. People 20 years younger might find it okay. The pen will carry on for another 40 years. As will the pencil.

Well, you still need a typewriter for certain forms, carbon or carbonless.
The President is a fink.
February 5th, 2013 at 5:42:21 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The proliferation of tablet style computers and electronic communication. One of the features touted on the new Samsung Galaxy phones is the ability to exchange files by touching the phones together. Who needs to write a phone number or address down when you can record a note, or use speech to text. Typing on a virtual keyboard, or writing with a stylus on a tablet computer could soon replace writing with a pencil or pen. If it wasn't for the need to permanently mark belongings, I think the pen's days would be numbered too.

I think it's way too early for that. Paper and pen, or pencil, is much cheaper and, for some things, more convenient. I usually keep a small paper notebook with me when I need to take notes, say for articles and such. Could I take notes on a tablet? Sure. But not as easily. And I couldn't then use that same tablet to type up hastily scribbled notes into an article. Switching between windows would be too much trouble. I'd wind up printing the notes.

Now, at the office I've a little block of paper to take messages. Again, I could type them up on my "smart" phone, or on a tablet. But I couldn't then leave the message on someone's desk. And have you tried to type with both tumbs while holding a handset? It's like playing twister.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 7th, 2013 at 3:28:48 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
Quote: AZDuffman
Well, you still need a typewriter for certain forms, carbon or carbonless.
Not necessarily.

A lot of forms are being delivered as PDF files where the user can type the data right into the form.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
February 7th, 2013 at 6:08:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DJTeddyBear
Not necessarily.

A lot of forms are being delivered as PDF files where the user can type the data right into the form.

It is indeed going that way but not 100% there yet.
The President is a fink.