No votes (0%)
5 votes (83.33%)
1 vote (16.66%)

6 members have voted

May 12th, 2017 at 9:26:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: reno
Even if it costs $1 million, it's worth it to keep the 1/2 ounce off our streets.

You don't get it. Three strikes is there
because it's indicative of a deeper
problem. It means you are a dumb
criminal who will continue to break
the law like you have probably
100's of times.

For instance, they know for a
fact that you only get caught
driving drunk about once out
of every 50 times you do it. If
you get caught 3 times they
throw away the key because
they know you are a hopeless
offender.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 12th, 2017 at 11:44:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Would you want someone going to prison on their 3rd strike in Louisiana if their first two strikes were just getting a blow job? http://americablog.com/2014/04/louisiana-house-votes-overwhelmingly-retain-unconstitutional-ban-oral-sex-straight-gay.html
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 13th, 2017 at 4:57:39 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: petroglyph
Would you want someone going to prison on their 3rd strike in Louisiana if their first two strikes were just getting a blow job? http://americablog.com/2014/04/louisiana-house-votes-overwhelmingly-retain-unconstitutional-ban-oral-sex-straight-gay.html

Didn't read the article, but how does one get caught? Doing it in a public place while drawing attention to yourself?

One thing we can all agree on (probably not....) there is more to the story of the 1/2 ounce of pot guy going to jail for a couple of decades....
May 13th, 2017 at 7:06:35 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Evenbob
100's of times.

For instance, they know for a
fact that you only get caught
driving drunk about once out
of every 50 times you do it. If
you get caught 3 times they
throw away the key because
they know you are a hopeless
offender.
I've never been caught drunk driving so I'm way ahead. I love positive variance.
May 13th, 2017 at 8:26:19 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Evenbob
100's of times.

That only makes sense if you believe that consuming marijuana is indeed a crime. (I don't believe consuming marijuana is a crime). I don't believe chewing gum is a crime either. Millions of people disagree with me.

It's interesting that the Republican governor Brian Sandoval of Nevada has introduced a bill to add a retail tax to recreational marijuana. The tax revenue will be earmarked to fund Nevada schools. Under Federal law, marijuana is a crime. It doesn't matter what Nevada's voters say, it doesn't matter what Sandoval says, if the Feds say it's a federal crime then it must be a federal crime.
May 13th, 2017 at 10:17:06 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: SOOPOO
Didn't read the article, but how does one get caught? Doing it in a public place while drawing attention to yourself?
Some were sex for hire, and how ever they get caught? Anymore with many posting their exploits online, it would not surprise that there are some that post on Facebook as well as uploading their own IP address and themselves during sex acts?

I always tried not to get caught myself, so the few times it happened it wasn't by anyone that wanted to call the cops.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 13th, 2017 at 11:47:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: reno
That only makes sense if you believe that consuming marijuana is indeed a crime. .

It doesn't matter what YOU believe, it
matters what the law says. Your personal
beliefs mean squat in court, try it sometime.

"I believe, your honor, I have the right to
drive with a revoked license. Driving is
a right, not a privilege". There are people
who think this. See what the judge says,
as he gives you 60 days in the clink.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 13th, 2017 at 4:42:03 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
America has always been ambivalent about the money spent on enforcing criminal laws and particularly on drug laws.

Look at five years before Alaska Statehood and five years after Alaska Statehood when Alaskans had to pay to send anyone sentenced to more than two years in jail.

Look at the County Commissioners in Florida who paved that short section of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere... it was a runway for drug planes because everyone in the county made money unloading those planes, there were few other jobs available.

Look at the speeding tickets in Orange County versus a first time domestic violence call 12-14 weeks later.

Look at rural versus urban punishments for the same offense.

Our policies and practices seldom make sense. Some young kids went to prison for long terms for a First Offense pot charge.
May 13th, 2017 at 7:21:31 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Here is my take on this.

First, I'm all in favor of legalizing marijuana.

Second, I'm very much in favor of states rights. If Louisiana wants to send otherwise law-abiding people to prison for small quantities of marijuana, that is their business. If Hawaii want to give a slap on the wrist for large quantities of it, same thing. I'd certainly prefer to live in a state that doesn't ruin peoples lives and waste taxpayer money over victim-less crimes, but that is just me.

Third, much like my Martingale policy of suspensions, I favor being tougher on repeat offenders. However, I oppose being too draconian about it. There is a case in California of a guy serving 20 years or so for stealing a pizza, because it was his third strike. I would rather see judges decide sentences than set in stone rules.

Here is more on the pizza thief: 'Pizza thief' walks the line.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 13th, 2017 at 8:24:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Wizard
Here is more on the pizza thief: 'Pizza thief' walks the line.

"I walk on eggshells," he said. "Any little thing that I do, I could be back for the rest of my life."

No, idiot, any little CRIME you do. I'm not
nervous when I leave the house, I don't
do crimes. This guy can't walk down the
street without being tempted to break
some law. That's why there's the 3 strikes
thing, something has to stop them.
Page 2 of 3<123>