Al Gore Net Worth

Page 3 of 3<123
May 17th, 2017 at 8:27:30 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
He said it would never work :)
And according to residents in some of these neighborhoods clogged by delivery trucks, he was right.
May 17th, 2017 at 9:50:22 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
But of course Al Gore's major asset is that he owns the internet. Or did he just invent it?

Al Gore said "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

I think he meant in the same way that while in 1939, Bureau of Public Roads Division of Information chief Herbert S. Fairbank wrote a report called Toll Roads and Free Roads, President Dwight D. Eisenhower became the champion of the Interstate Highway System.

Vinton Cerf (often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) is five years older than Al Gore. In 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG_6ypYSS4
May 17th, 2017 at 9:58:14 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Al Gore said "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

I think he meant in the same way that while in 1939, Bureau of Public Roads Division of Information chief Herbert S. Fairbank wrote a report called Toll Roads and Free Roads, President Dwight D. Eisenhower became the champion of the Interstate Highway System.

Vinton Cerf (often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) is five years older than Al Gore. In 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG_6ypYSS4

The statement, IMHO, was the usual ego of Gore. Gore did indeed push for commercial use of the internet. Had he said, "I took the lead in allowing commercial use of the internet," he would have been correct and valid. But he said "created." (creating) He was trying to oversell what he did, and got caught.

It was such an oversell that even the lamestream media could not cover for him.
The President is a fink.
May 17th, 2017 at 10:17:03 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Maybe you could say he primed the pump of the information superhighway.

Neither "primed the pump" nor "information superhighway" were terms coined by Gore.

Gore's efforts on the internet apparently do go back to the 80's. http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

In the end, though, I don't see Gore getting the same kind of credit that Henry Ford did for creating the automobile industry.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 17th, 2017 at 11:12:39 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
Probably less than the five shares of some satellite company Clarke made from inventing the communications satellite :)

BTW, I invented online shopping. It was in the early 90s. I thought, then, you could place an order from a catalog to a website rather than by the postal system, eliminating anywhere from a few days to a few weeks from the ordering process. I even told a friend about it. He said it would never work :)

The first thing I ever bought online was an airline ticket somewhere around 1989. I guess that wouldn't be considered the internet at that time but it was a text interface through Compuserve and Sabre. My very first Ebay purchase was a car in the late 1990's.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 17th, 2017 at 11:44:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
The first thing I ever bought online was an airline ticket somewhere around 1989. I guess that wouldn't be considered the internet at that time but it was a text interface through Compuserve and Sabre. My very first Ebay purchase was a car in the late 1990's.

First thing I ever bought online, I'm sure, were books from Amazon in 1998. By 1999/2000 I bought a few items from eBay, using a service called Bidpay (this was before PayPal). What it did was take your money and a commission, and then sent a money order to the seller. It seems weird now, but it wasn't at the time. Most sellers did business that way.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 17th, 2017 at 11:51:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
The first thing I ever bought online was an airline ticket somewhere around 1989. I guess that wouldn't be considered the internet at that time but it was a text interface through Compuserve and Sabre.

Surprisingly it has been just over 20 years since Southwest entered the internet age.

January 31, 1995 - Marking a new era in the airline industry, Southwest becomes the first major airline to offer Ticketless Travel to its Customers systemwide.
March 17, 1995 - Customers are now able to log on to iflyswa.com, the "Southwest Airlines Home Gate" -- a new site on the Internet's WWW which provides user-friendly access to a comprehensive route map of Southwest services. Southwest Airlines is the first major airline to post a web site.
April 30, 1996 - Beginning today, Customers can purchase their flights on the Internet. Our "Home Gate" now includes an online reservations center, complimenting the carrier's Ticketless Travel program.
May 17th, 2017 at 12:31:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Surprisingly it has been just over 20 years since Southwest entered the internet age.

That's funny is that in the aviation press they were known for clinging to an outdated reservation system. One reporter went so far as to say they acquired Air Tran only to be able to operate internationally.

They recently adopted a new reservation system.

I first bought airline tickets online, along with the hotel and car rental, in 2006 through Expedia
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 3 of 3<123