Racist Commercial

February 5th, 2013 at 9:29:13 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
If you've seen the Volkswagon commercial where the White Guy from Minnesota speaks in a Jamaican patois and finally cheers up his colleagues with a joyride in his Volkswagon.

I am so tired of commercial feeding these tired racist stereotypes. Not all white people are humorless uptight drones.
February 5th, 2013 at 10:08:55 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
From what I understand Volkswagon did their homework first and then took a calculated risk that it would mostly work for them, than against them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 5th, 2013 at 10:15:27 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin
If you've seen the Volkswagon commercial where the White Guy from Minnesota speaks in a Jamaican patois and finally cheers up his colleagues with a joyride in his Volkswagon.

I am so tired of commercial feeding these tired racist stereotypes. Not all white people are humorless uptight drones.

With the possibility of being wrong, I'm going to take a shot....

LOL! Well played, Paco =)

Unless you're serious... ?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 5th, 2013 at 11:27:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Unless you're serious... ?

No, I'm not serious. I think people who actually worry about this stuff are wound too tight.

But I was looking at this article ... Volkswagen Super Bowl Commercial 2013: Was The 'Get Happy' Ad's Jamaican Accent Racist? and I had to wonder why nobody was mentioning which race was actually being negatively stereotyped.
February 6th, 2013 at 4:12:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
No, I'm not serious. I think people who actually worry about this stuff are wound too tight.

They are wound too tight. I am waiting for them to call Tide commercials "racist" because it claims to do a better job on whites.
The President is a fink.
February 6th, 2013 at 11:33:52 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

I thought so, but you're so often a serious guy.

I was also hoping it was that way, because I'm really starting to hate this kind of stuff. I watch a lot of UK TV, and it's so different. Top Gear's Clarkson constantly makes fun of Hammond, teasing him that he's gay (he's not), and no one freaks out. They featured a Lincoln Navigator on the show and went on about "black culture" and the stereotypes with the tinted windows, ridiculous rims, and how completely stupid it all was. The black guest joined right in with it. No one was calling for their heads.

Growing up I was a fan of the movement for acceptance, but Christ, we've gone too far. I saw an amazing show featuring Maya Angelou and Dave Chapelle where they just sat and talked to each other for an hour. Of course, much of the focus was on his comedy and massive use of the word "nigger". Comedy aside, I find him to be a brilliant man. He could sympathize with her reaction to it, being an older black woman from a bad time in American Black History, but held his stance that everyone's just too damn uptight nowadays. It's much better to laugh and share with each other with the chance of possibly offending somebody than to sit in silent fear of offending anybody.

I salute VW if they don't retract the ad. If I didn't need a truck, I'd vote my acceptance with my dollar.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 6th, 2013 at 4:26:36 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Many people are offended by Clarkson, they just tend not to be people who watch Top Gear. They did get in trouble for saying Mexican food looks like sick.

I tend not to care about that sort of thing, but then I have white, male privilege.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life