Goodbye Net Neutrality

May 20th, 2017 at 8:55:23 AM permalink
JB
Administrator
Threads: 10
Quote: AZDuffman
Somehow the commercial internet has survived 25ish years without the need for NN. All of the sudden we need it?

And you've enjoyed NN for those 25+ years. It's not something new that we all of a sudden need, it's been the de facto standard we've always had and should continue to have. It wasn't until Comcast blackmailed Netflix that it became law. Then it became political, and here we are today looking at it like a mountain instead of the molehill it actually is.

Saying you don't want NN is like saying you want a red light placed every 100 yards on the interstate. NN keeps the red lights off the interstate and the traffic flowing freely like it always has up until today.

I would be in favor of metered usage like water or electricity if it ever came to that, but I would never support slowing down or blocking access for no reason.

But I have as much say in the matter as you do, and like I said earlier I suspect the decision has already been made to start setting up those pointless red lights.
May 20th, 2017 at 9:01:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Right now Comcast offers Internet Plus for $44.99 for months 1-12, and $64.99 for months 13-24. Download speeds of 25 Mbps. Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, including Broadcast TV Fee (up to $7/mo.), Regional Sports Fee (up to $5/mo.) and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change during and after the promo. TV and Internet Service limited to a single outlet. TV stations consist of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, CW, ION and a few other broadcast channels

Quote: JB
Do you want your ISP denying you access to foxnews.com because of their political agenda? If you have Comcast = NBC = MSNBC, this becomes a very real threat without NN. I can't understand why you would support that. Even if you don't have Comcast, the concept of a filtered (censored) internet should be alarming. NN is the equivalent of free speech on the internet.

What seems more likely is that MSNBC will be included in the above offer at no additional charge. You will have to buy a service which will start at $35 a month to get Fox News. I can't imagine a major corporation in the USA denying access to a channel unless it the Klu Klux Klan television.
May 20th, 2017 at 9:19:13 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Pacomartin
Right now Comcast offers Internet Plus for $44.99 for months 1-12, and $64.99 for months 13-24. Download speeds of 25 Mbps. Equipment, installation, taxes and fees, including Broadcast TV Fee (up to $7/mo.), Regional Sports Fee (up to $5/mo.) and other applicable charges extra, and subject to change during and after the promo. TV and Internet Service limited to a single outlet. TV stations consist of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, CW, ION and a few other broadcast channels

What seems more likely is that MSNBC will be included in the above offer at no additional charge. You will have to buy a service which will start at $35 a month to get Fox News. I can't imagine a major corporation in the USA denying access to a channel unless it the Klu Klux Klan television.

It isn't about what channels a cable provider offers, it is about which websites an internet provider allows unthrottled access.

Netflix has paid a place like Level 3 Communications for enough bandwidth to support their customers. (I don't know what companies netflix pays for their internet access)

You, as a customer, buy a 25MBps internet connection from Comcast - enough to support high speed streaming video.

Without net neutrality, Comcast will be in a position to slow Netflix to standard definition, and only offer, say, ViaComm streaming at full speed. Note that in this scenario, Netflix has no business relationship with Comcast, and Netflix needs no business relationship with Comcast. They have paid someone for the bandwidth they need, and you the consumer have paid for the bandwidth that you need.

If Comcast is complaining that all of the Netflix traffic is slowing down their network for everyone, it is because they oversold their capacity.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 20th, 2017 at 11:38:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Dalex64
Without net neutrality, Comcast will be in a position to slow Netflix to standard definition, and only offer, say, ViaComm streaming at full speed. Note that in this scenario, Netflix has no business relationship with Comcast, and Netflix needs no business relationship with Comcast.

Do you really think that will happen? I would think that the blowback wouldl be huge.
May 20th, 2017 at 12:37:05 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: Pacomartin
Do you really think that will happen? I would think that the blowback wouldl be huge.

The consumer ISP's (not just Comcast) were already accused of throttling netflix.

Netflix paid Comcast to increase the size of the interconnect pipes and/or put edge servers within Comcast's network to deal with speed problems years ago. In that case, though, I think it was Comcast screwing all of their customers with their inability to provide advertised speeds to locations outside the Comcast network.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 12th, 2017 at 10:51:41 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://billmoyers.com/story/net-neutrality-vote-kill-open-internet/ Comes a vote, Thursday 12/14
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 12th, 2017 at 2:27:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
http://billmoyers.com/story/net-neutrality-vote-kill-open-internet/ Comes a vote, Thursday 12/14

Kill it and let innovation win!
The President is a fink.
December 12th, 2017 at 4:02:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Kill it and let innovation win!
Does not having neutrality stop innovation?

It seems like this will create choke points where there wasn't before, why not just let the internet flow without obstacles?

Isn't removing the neutrality, and having Verizon install brakes on the web, like installing regulation?
December 12th, 2017 at 4:12:59 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Does not having neutrality stop innovation?

It seems like this will create choke points where there wasn't before, why not just let the internet flow without obstacles?

Isn't removing the neutrality, and having Verizon install brakes on the web, like installing regulation?

Somehow the internet managed since 1994 without NN.

One rule to live by is to NEVER trust a government regulation with a nice sounding name, because the real intent is hidden.
The President is a fink.
December 12th, 2017 at 4:32:13 PM permalink
petroglyph
Somehow the internet managed since 1994 without NN.

One rule to live by is to NEVER trust a government regulation with a nice sounding name, because the real intent is hidden.
Excuse my ignorance. I thought it was NN now. I just didn't want anyone changing it for the worse.

Mine runs fine, the way I read it was these big providers were going to create artificial slowdowns and a fee would be charged if you weren't a customer?