Threads: 29
Betting market odds that Donny will get impeached again before Jan. 20th:

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
January 7th, 2021 at 11:38:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: ams288
Betting market odds that Donny will get impeached again before Jan. 20th:

No chance. Not enough time to make that happen and not worth the time it takes since he only has 13 days left.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 7th, 2021 at 11:45:54 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: DRich
No chance. Not enough time to make that happen and not worth the time it takes since he only has 13 days left.

This is just for impeachment, not removal from office.

Impeachment takes a simple majority in the House. They could do it today if they wanted.
January 7th, 2021 at 11:56:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
This is just for impeachment, not removal from office.

Impeachment takes a simple majority in the House. They could do it today if they wanted.

Impeached twice could give him a special place in history.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 7th, 2021 at 12:41:25 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
sounds like they are pretty serious about it

Quote:
Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Chuck Schumer called on Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the 25th Amendment to remove President Trump from office.
If he declines, they said, Democrats are prepared to impeach Trump a second time.

Obviously it'll take a number of senate republicans to go along with it for the actual removal, and possible disqualification from future office.

They might want to go for it just for that last part - get trump out of their system once and for all.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 7th, 2021 at 12:59:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
I've been listening to rightwingers argue over whether Trump incited that riot.

Technically he didn't order them to do anything violent, but an American President insisting the election was an illegal process against him and sending them down there all hyped up and then saying he was not responsible is a bridge way too far for me.

I'm trying to think of a good comparison. Like if someone spent a lot of time destroying your reputation, and eventually someone else punches you in the face. That other person may not have directed any violence against you, but would you really dismiss the blame of someone spending a lot of time destroying your reputation. I don't think you would. Nor would any sensible person.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 7th, 2021 at 1:03:46 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Dalex64
sounds like they are pretty serious about it

Obviously it'll take a number of senate republicans to go along with it for the actual removal, and possible disqualification from future office.

They might want to go for it just for that last part - get trump out of their system once and for all.

Tough call. The 'disqualification from future office' seems like it technically would be worthwhile. But just as the first impeachment, it will turn out to be a colossal waste of time. Sadly, I really don't think he has committed a defined impeachable offense. Ironically, his transgressions may be more suited to a 25th Amendment removal. Meaning he has lost it, yet hasn't per se committed any crimes.

Is either Loeffler or Perdue asking for a recount, or challenging the result of the Senate election in any way? My point is.... when does Shumer become majority leader?
January 7th, 2021 at 1:15:38 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: SOOPOO
Is either Loeffler or Perdue asking for a recount, or challenging the result of the Senate election in any way? My point is.... when does Shumer become majority leader?

Ossoff’s lead is now outside of recount territory, so probably as soon as GA certifies the results and they get sworn in. And Kamala has to be VP with her replacement seated in order to break the tie, of course.
January 7th, 2021 at 1:50:37 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Ossoff’s lead is now outside of recount territory, so probably as soon as GA certifies the results and they get sworn in. And Kamala has to be VP with her replacement seated in order to break the tie, of course.

Oh yeah..... forgot about that part. So now I definitely do not want another useless impeachment to start before january 20. It would be sweet for pence to cast deciding vote on removal, maybe making Pence President for a day or two...... Not gonna happen....
January 7th, 2021 at 2:02:25 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: SOOPOO
Oh yeah..... forgot about that part. So now I definitely do not want another useless impeachment to start before january 20. It would be sweet for pence to cast deciding vote on removal, maybe making Pence President for a day or two...... Not gonna happen....

Unlikely. It requires a 2/3rds supermajority of any Senators who happen to be present. If they really wanted to, I guess Senate Republicans could theoretically simply not show up and not technically go down as having voted to remove him. Hmmm...you know, establishment Republicans certainly don't owe DJT any favors, at this point.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman