The Trump Impeachment Thread

Page 231 of 231« First<228229230231
February 16th, 2021 at 4:07:50 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
Are there odds on the Democrats impeaching Donald John Trump again? I mean, if they were being honest they should, shouldn’t they? Isn’t there another article or two they can scrounge up? Why not impeach him for the phone call trying to swing Georgia his way? Totally different crime than inciting the insurrection, right? How about the emoluments stuff? Certainly you could get all the House Democrats to send that article over to the Senate, right? I’m sure ams or Rx can come up with a half dozen more without thinking too hard. Why AREN’T they, other than of course it would look bad politically? Really, we can have our monthly impeachment trial, right? They certainly don’t care about having no chance to convict....

The double impeachment is brilliant
Its fracturing the Republican party
Member after member is being censured
It shows how small minded the party is
This is an incredibly smart move by the Dems
Divide and conquer
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 16th, 2021 at 4:12:55 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined
The double impeachment is brilliant
Its fracturing the Republican party
Member after member is being censured
It shows how small minded the party is
This is an incredibly smart move by the Dems
Divide and conquer

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/15/politics/richard-burr-north-carolina-gop-censure-impeachment/index.html

Quote:
The committee specifically said Burr should have aligned himself "with the strong majority of Republicans in both the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate" who believe that the impeachment was unconstitutional.

Really freedom and independence oriented there, aren't they?

Paraphrasing: We voted to censure him because he didn't do what everyone else was doing.

Burr's quote from the article:

Quote:
"My party's leadership has chosen loyalty to one man over the core principles of the Republican Party and the founders of our great nation," he said.

He said it, not me...I mean, I also said it, but you get my point.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 16th, 2021 at 4:27:10 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/16/nation/we-did-not-send-him-there-vote-his-conscience-amid-backlash-pennsylvania-gop-may-censure-toomey/

Washington County (PA) GOP Chairman, Dave Ball:

Quote:
“We did not send him there to vote his conscience. We did not send him there to do ‘the right thing’ or whatever he said he was doing. We sent him there to represent us,” Ball told KDKA, a CBS affiliate based in Pittsburgh.

I mean, polls have indicated that slightly over 50% of Americans wanted Trump to be immediately removed from office this time around.

I didn't try that hard, but I couldn't find any polls for Pennsylvania, specifically, in about five minutes of attempting to do so. Given that Pennsylvania is (overall) fairly moderate and went for Biden this time around (narrowly) I imagine it's something close to the national numbers.

As a Senator, Pat Toomey represents the entire State of Pennsylvania, not just Pennsylvania Republicans. If we assume that the percentage of people who wanted Trump impeached is even close to the national numbers (which it probably was), then you can argue that Toomey was representing Pennsylvanians regardless of how he decided to vote.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 16th, 2021 at 5:25:51 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/16/nation/we-did-not-send-him-there-vote-his-conscience-amid-backlash-pennsylvania-gop-may-censure-toomey/

Washington County (PA) GOP Chairman, Dave Ball:

I mean, polls have indicated that slightly over 50% of Americans wanted Trump to be immediately removed from office this time around.

I didn't try that hard, but I couldn't find any polls for Pennsylvania, specifically, in about five minutes of attempting to do so. Given that Pennsylvania is (overall) fairly moderate and went for Biden this time around (narrowly) I imagine it's something close to the national numbers.

As a Senator, Pat Toomey represents the entire State of Pennsylvania, not just Pennsylvania Republicans. If we assume that the percentage of people who wanted Trump impeached is even close to the national numbers (which it probably was), then you can argue that Toomey was representing Pennsylvanians regardless of how he decided to vote.

History repeating itself
The cult of personality
Its shocking
China went through this
Mao is perfect. You are loyal to Mao or you are the enemy of the people.
Cultural revolution shook the country to its core
We are seeing the cult of personality again in my lifetime
These Trumpers think Trump is perfect
Look at posters here like Flea, EB, AZ ect
They think Trump is perfect
There is not a single thing they can criticize him on
Scary
The cult of personality almost destroyed our country on Jan 6. Almost as destructive as the cultural revolution China experienced due to the cult of personality
Policies no longer govern the republican party. Loyalty to Trump is now the republican test, not issues. Talk about a party going all in on the cult of personality
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 16th, 2021 at 5:42:07 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
I'll agree with everything in that post except, "Almost destroyed the country," that's a little melodramatic.
February 16th, 2021 at 6:28:49 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Mission146
I'll agree with everything in that post except, "Almost destroyed the country," that's a little melodramatic.

Of course! It snowed nearly a foot last night. Regardless of who is President, I needed to shovel a path for my small dog to go out and pee/poop. I have a massage scheduled at 11. Doesn’t matter if the Senate is 50-50 or 51-49. I get my next shot Feb 25. Started by Trump. Finished by Biden. Had Trump won, would have been finished by Trump. My wife is smoking hot no matter how many Republicans are in Congress. My guess is no matter what happens in politics I’ll be golfing in Florida in the winters, golfing in Buffalo in the summers,

How about this.... unless you are amongst the many newly unemployed because of the pipeline thing, it will take a while for ‘politics’ to affect you. I guess unless you are among the 1.4 million jobs to be lost if the $15 MW passes...(CBO). Etc...
February 16th, 2021 at 2:15:34 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
OH HELL YES

Donny has his knives out for Moscow Mitch:

Quote:
"The Republican Party can never again be respected or strong with political 'leaders' like Sen. Mitch McConnell at its helm."

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 16th, 2021 at 3:17:54 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Not unexpected by me. Trump will destroy the Republican party’s chances to win in 2022. As far as McConnell goes, he has been a strong and effective advocate for most Republican/Conservative policies. Unfortunately, or fortunately if you don’t like him, he will be remembered most for the hypocrisy of Garland/Coney-Barrett, and the hypocrisy of acquitting Trump because he was an ex President.... when HE didn’t accept the impeachment article when Trump was president.

McConnell will be 84 next election for him. I hope he is smart enough to not run again. Do you really want to be a Senator from 84-90??
February 16th, 2021 at 3:30:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: ams288
OH HELL YES

Donny has his knives out for Moscow Mitch:

I love how Trump is bragging about his numbers while saying the election was fraudulent...... I guess his vote are 100% certain and everything else is questionable?

Also, who brags about 2nd place? The last Mayoral election last fall where I live, the sitting Mayor got more votes than any sitting Mayor (it went to a runoff) and still lost. It would be laughable if he went around nonstop saying "I got more votes than any sitting mayor in City history") as if that were some achievement, but he is also too busy running legitimate businesses to care....

I can't believe so many people here still defend Trump's behavior as normal....
Page 231 of 231« First<228229230231