The Trump Impeachment Thread

December 24th, 2017 at 10:19:29 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 130
AFAICT, Fusion is company that even Trump could have hired. They dig into people or organization's backgrounds and get paid for it.

It does make you wonder when you go into disputes, if you go up against an entity with deep pockets what you may not even know you're dealing with. Weinstein hired Israeli agents to discredit his accusers. I wouldn't have guessed that was going to happen. Good lesson though if you ever get into a serious dispute. Protect all your flanks, trust no one. Don't relax too much -- you may have unknowns working against you if stakes are high enough.
Nobody learned anything from the global financial crisis.
December 24th, 2017 at 2:13:15 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 6
It is good to see y'all here. I took a quick glimpse and there hasn't been a whole lot of change in opinions one way or the other. That probably goes for me, too.

Have a Merry Christmas!!
...While Mr. Wolf smoked opium and grinned at Mama Bear
January 3rd, 2018 at 6:32:59 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 15
Ruh Roh!!!

Trump Tower meeting with Russians 'treasonous', Bannon says in explosive book

Quote:
Bannon, speaking to author Michael Wolff, warned that the investigation into alleged collusion with the Kremlin will focus on money laundering and predicted: “They’re going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV.”

Must see TV!
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion
January 3rd, 2018 at 7:11:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 345
Quote: ams288
Ruh Roh!!!

Fake news from rabid, anti-trump Bannon ;)
Donald Trump is a fucking liar
January 3rd, 2018 at 8:08:18 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: ams288

Quote:
Bannon went on, Wolff writes, to say that if any such meeting had to take place, it should have been set up “in a Holiday Inn in Manchester, New Hampshire, with your lawyers who meet with these people”. Any information, he said, could then be “dump[ed] … down to Breitbart or something like that, or maybe some other more legitimate publication”.

Interesting, what his fans dismiss as "main stream media", Bannon calls "more legitimate publications " That's just funny.
January 25th, 2018 at 5:27:00 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 15
The NYT has a bombshell tonight:

Trump Ordered Mueller Fired, but Backed Off When White House Counsel Threatened to Quit

This happened last June. I've bolded my favorite part of the article...

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump ordered the firing last June of Robert S. Mueller III, the special counsel overseeing the Russia investigation, according to four people told of the matter, but ultimately backed down after the White House counsel threatened to resign rather than carry out the directive.

The West Wing confrontation marks the first time Mr. Trump is known to have tried to fire the special counsel. Mr. Mueller learned about the episode in recent months as his investigators interviewed current and former senior White House officials in his inquiry into whether the president obstructed justice.
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion
January 25th, 2018 at 7:20:03 PM permalink
Dalex64
I am not sure if that is a bombshell.

Wanting him fired, saying you want it, and have a subordinate threaten to quit if you follow through and then backing down isn't obstruction.

It is another example of Trump's apparent inability to consider the consequences of his actions, though.

Alternately, it could be yet another example of his big talk while aware that someone else (the IRS, his lawyers, his counsel) looks like they are preventing him from doing something he never wanted to do in the first place.

Reminds me of all the times Republicans voted to repeal Obamacare when they knew they had the safety net of an Obama veto to fall back on.

But I think it is more of the first in this case - he is incapable of future predictive thought.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 26th, 2018 at 6:28:49 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 5
Quote: Dalex64

Wanting him fired, saying you want it, and have a subordinate threaten to quit if you follow through and then backing down isn't obstruction.

It is another example of Trump's apparent inability to consider the consequences of his actions, though.

Alternately, it could be yet another example of his big talk while aware that someone else (the IRS, his lawyers, his counsel) looks like they are preventing him from doing something he never wanted to do in the first place.

Reminds me of all the times Republicans voted to repeal Obamacare when they knew they had the safety net of an Obama veto to fall back on.

But I think it is more of the first in this case - he is incapable of future predictive thought.

The reports I'm hearing are that Trump ORDERED McGann to fire Mueller -in official capacity as President, in front of several people- , and only backed down when McGann said he would quit rather than do it. They claim they have multiple sources confirming that happened.

To me, anyway, that crosses the line from grousing/complainong/saying you want something to happen, and actually giving the order to a subordinate to do it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 26th, 2018 at 7:05:50 AM permalink
Dalex64
Quote: beachbumbabs
The reports I'm hearing are that Trump ORDERED McGann to fire Mueller -in official capacity as President, in front of several people- , and only backed down when McGann said he would quit rather than do it. They claim they have multiple sources confirming that happened.

To me, anyway, that crosses the line from grousing/complainong/saying you want something to happen, and actually giving the order to a subordinate to do it.

Yep, looks like more of those green box news sites agree with the "bombshell" assessment.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/26/mueller-trump-obstruction-of-justice-russia-216532
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 26th, 2018 at 9:56:41 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 345
Quote: Dalex64

It is, because he actually ordered Mueller fired.

He wasn't weighing options or asking for advice, but actually obstructing an investigation.

BTW, this is much worse than lying on a deposition in a civil suit.
Donald Trump is a fucking liar