The Trump Impeachment Thread

October 10th, 2019 at 8:10:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: terapined
I totally agree
I will throw anybody corrupt under a bus regardless of politics

"Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors". The precise meaning of the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" is not defined in the Constitution itself.

The notion that only criminal conduct can constitute sufficient grounds for impeachment does not comport with either the views of the founders or with historical practice.

Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist 65, described impeachable offenses as arising from "the misconduct of public men, or in other words from the abuse or violation of some public trust."Such offenses were "political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself." According to this reasoning, impeachable conduct could include behavior that violates an official's duty to the country, even if such conduct is not necessarily a prosecutable offense. Indeed, in the past both houses of Congress have given the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" a broad reading, finding that impeachable offenses need not be limited to criminal conduct.

The purposes underlying the impeachment process also indicate that non-criminal activity may constitute sufficient grounds for impeachment. The purpose of impeachment is not to inflict personal punishment for criminal activity. Instead, impeachment is a "remedial" tool; it serves to effectively "maintain constitutional government" by removing individuals unfit for office. Grounds for impeachment include abuse of the particular powers of government office or a violation of the "public trust"—conduct that is unlikely to be barred via statute.

In drawing up articles of impeachment, the House has placed little emphasis on criminal conduct.
October 10th, 2019 at 8:29:10 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
"Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors". The precise meaning of the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" is not defined in the Constitution itself.

The notion that only criminal conduct can constitute sufficient grounds for impeachment does not comport with either the views of the founders or with historical practice.

Alexander Hamilton, in Federalist 65, described impeachable offenses as arising from "the misconduct of public men, or in other words from the abuse or violation of some public trust."Such offenses were "political, as they relate chiefly to injuries done immediately to the society itself." According to this reasoning, impeachable conduct could include behavior that violates an official's duty to the country, even if such conduct is not necessarily a prosecutable offense. Indeed, in the past both houses of Congress have given the phrase "high Crimes and Misdemeanors" a broad reading, finding that impeachable offenses need not be limited to criminal conduct.

The purposes underlying the impeachment process also indicate that non-criminal activity may constitute sufficient grounds for impeachment. The purpose of impeachment is not to inflict personal punishment for criminal activity. Instead, impeachment is a "remedial" tool; it serves to effectively "maintain constitutional government" by removing individuals unfit for office. Grounds for impeachment include abuse of the particular powers of government office or a violation of the "public trust"—conduct that is unlikely to be barred via statute.

In drawing up articles of impeachment, the House has placed little emphasis on criminal conduct.

Another great post from Paco
Thanks
Totally agree
The Founding Fathers simply wanted Congress to have the impeachment power if determined a President is becoming unfit for office. Its purposely vague to give congress that power.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 10th, 2019 at 9:34:42 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
I guess you haven't been paying attention. Not long after Disney bought Fox their polls have switched from right leaning to left leaning.

Also, wasn’t Fox News excluded from the Disney merger?
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 10th, 2019 at 9:52:02 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Another great post from Paco
Thanks
Totally agree
The Founding Fathers simply wanted Congress to have the impeachment power if determined a President is becoming unfit for office. Its purposely vague to give congress that power.

I think the vagueness will make it easy for the Democratic House to impeach, but the vagueness will make it equally easy for the Republican Senate to acquit.
October 10th, 2019 at 10:02:45 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: ams288
Also, wasn’t Fox News excluded from the Disney merger?

I don't know what Kenarman is referring too
Fox polling is pretty respected

Inside Fox News’ polling ‘nerdquarium,’ whose numbers don’t lie whether Trump likes them or not
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-09-21/the-numbers-from-fox-news-pollsters-dont-lie-whether-president-trump-likes-it-or-not

Is Kenarman inferring that foxnews is now fakenews because of Disney?
Has Disney really changed foxnews and demanding they change their polling techniques to lean left?
I cant find anything on this
Whats your source Kenarman? Its a pretty shocking charge that fox polling has changed due to ownership
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 10th, 2019 at 10:11:56 AM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
I think the vagueness will make it easy for the Democratic House to impeach, but the vagueness will make it equally easy for the Republican Senate to acquit.

We are in the investigation phase
More info coming out can turn republican senators against Trump
Look at the Turkey Syria fiasco. Trump is getting brutal criticism from Republican Senators.
Trump does not take criticism well and can really go off the rails insulting the republican senators he needs
October 10th, 2019 at 10:46:39 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Here are the latest odds from Betfair

Trump to be impeached in his first term: 67.8%
Trump to leave office during first term: 22.2%

As long as I'm there, here are the Democratic primary odds

Warren: 51.4%
Biden: 17.7%
Sanders: 4.2%
Harris: 3.6%
Yang (yeah!): 4.2%
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 10th, 2019 at 11:42:47 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I don't know what Kenarman is referring too
Fox polling is pretty respected

Inside Fox News’ polling ‘nerdquarium,’ whose numbers don’t lie whether Trump likes them or not
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2019-09-21/the-numbers-from-fox-news-pollsters-dont-lie-whether-president-trump-likes-it-or-not

Is Kenarman inferring that foxnews is now fakenews because of Disney?
Has Disney really changed foxnews and demanding they change their polling techniques to lean left?
I cant find anything on this
Whats your source Kenarman? Its a pretty shocking charge that fox polling has changed due to ownership

As usual do your homework. All year up to August Fox news has trump as -5 to -7 for approval rating. On July 21-23 he was -5. The next poll on August 8-13 they suddenly had him at -13. No other polls over that time period jumped 8 points. Other polls had Trump at a similar disapproval rating but they had been -10 or more most if not all the year. Obviously something had changed in Fox's polling method. Is there proof it was because of their new left leaning owners no, but I would think my theory on why the sudden change in their polling methodology is the most logical.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
October 10th, 2019 at 11:53:24 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: ams288
Huh?

Fox has always been regarded as a really good pollster.

It's pretty simple. They were "really good" and "the best" until they stopped reporting what they wanted to see.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 10th, 2019 at 12:13:43 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Wizard
Here are the latest odds from Betfair

Trump to be impeached in his first term: 67.8%
Trump to leave office during first term: 22.2%

As long as I'm there, here are the Democratic primary odds

Warren: 51.4%
Biden: 17.7%
Sanders: 4.2%
Harris: 3.6%
Yang (yeah!): 4.2%

Way too high on Warren. I’d say her and Biden are basically even at this point with everyone else trailing.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman