Men skipping college

Page 1 of 71234>Last »
June 6th, 2017 at 3:55:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Men saying “no thanks” to college

Women are now outnumbering men almost 2:1 on college campuses. Not much new in this article for me, been reading the same for years. The woman professor quoted at the end of the article, though, shows the problem totally. Even confronted with the numbers, you can still see she hates men. She teaches sociology, more or less a useless class when it comes to educating for employment prospects.

Where this goes will be interesting, and will set the pattern for the USA for a generation. Colleges have done all they can to drive men away. From treating every male student as a potential date rapist to more and more required "diversity training," men look around and see the message they are not wanted. Then they look at the ROI for their degree. Said ROI is less and less. The men are going back to learning a trade or making their own way. The more men they see with no degree making out well, the more who will just not put up with paying the tuition and giving up the years to be treated like dirt.

Meanwhile, the women keep piling in. But this makes the campus change in other ways. The Husbandry majors will still be around as they always have. With a 2:1 ratio, though, the men will get a better choice. Other women will probably keep the same degree choice patterns as we currently have. The danger comes here. Women pick lower pay degrees than men do. Nursing and Pharmacy majors pay well and are extremely female dominated. Otherwise, women tend to pick low pay majors. Men pick higher paying ones, knowing they have to make back the money in life.

A viscous circle may start to develop. STEM majors go down, liberal arts goes up. More funding and more cultural dominance of the later. STEM goes down more and more. Colleges graduate more and more liberal arts majors with lesser job and income prospects.

We are in not just looking at a trend line. Will be fun to see where it goes.
The President is a fink.
June 6th, 2017 at 4:54:18 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Turn on, tune in, drop out.

The Sheepskin Psychosis.

This University does not compete with other educational institutions, it competes with the bowling alley.

Now what do you have on college campuses: womens studies, women's rights, if its not a clear YES, then its rape, Women get counseling, men get prosecuted.

Add into the mix Blacks wanting a black only lounge and a mandatory absence of whites on a Day of Absence and you really come to a situation wherein 'its not worth it' is true.

A diploma does not allow you to go to the head of the line at the unemployment office.
June 6th, 2017 at 12:40:33 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
You see so many articles cry and moan about there not being enough women in so many occupations, especially 'stem' fields. This trend towards 2:1* in colleges? It's all related, can anyone doubt that women are seeing great benefit from getting degrees while the men are observing that it isn't worth the cost in too many cases? Of course they think the kids are just stupid, but you can't keep these things - preferential treatment - secret.

https://www.google.com/#q=women+in+stem+field

*I'd be surprised if it's 2:1 now, article doesn't cite where they are getting that from, but it was hitting near 60% a decade ago and just may be heading for 67.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 6th, 2017 at 2:35:32 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Men have nobody to blame for this than themselves. Just going from personal observation, women just perform better in high school and are thus entitled to first dibs at the best colleges. Maybe I had bad choices in friends in high school but most of them, all male, dinked around for years after high school. In and out of community colleges, accomplishing nothing.

Not that anyone is suggesting it, but I would totally oppose gender quotas. I totally oppose quotas in higher education period. The limited places in higher education should go to those who worked the hardest and show the most potential.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 6th, 2017 at 4:32:29 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Related: Why Old-Timey Jobs Are Hot Again.

While the article says many of the people taking these old-school jobs are college educated, I doubt that lasts. No reason you need a degree to be a bartender or a butcher.
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2017 at 2:49:58 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Shortage of eligible men has left women taking desperate steps to preserve their fertility

This is across the pond, but look for the same to happen in the USA sooner or later as the same trends are happening. It looks like the UK had men skipping college sooner than the USA by maybe a decade. Easy to see where we may soon me 2:1 female/male in the average college.
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2017 at 7:31:31 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman

While the article says many of the people taking these old-school jobs are college educated, I doubt that lasts. No reason you need a degree to be a bartender or a butcher.

Bartender or butcher
No thanks
Look at Pai gow Dan. Things got tough financially and he had to go back to dealing
Standing up all day sucks if you had back problems like Dan
I would much rather use my educated brain at work at my age rather then do something physical
Once you get to a physical age such as me, butcher and bartender jobs are not easy
Any bartenders or butchers that are my age probably wish they got educated and had a sit down job using a brain like me
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 5th, 2017 at 7:38:35 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined

Bartender or butcher
No thanks
Look at Pai gow Dan. Things got tough financially and he had to go back to dealing
I would much rather use my educated brain at work at my age rather then do something physical
Once you get to a physical age such as me, butcher and bartender jobs are not easy
Any bartenders or butchers that are my age probably wish they got educated and had a sit down job using a brain like me

Physical jobs keep you in good physical shape. You get paid for your work out instead of paying to go to a gym. I am still working as a tradesman and spend a lot of my work days on ladders terapined. I do this because I still enjoy doing physical work, don't knock it unless you try it.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 5th, 2017 at 7:54:15 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman

Bartender or butcher
No thanks

Physical jobs keep you in good physical shape. You get paid for your work out instead of paying to go to a gym. I am still working as a tradesman and spend a lot of my work days on ladders terapined. I do this because I still enjoy doing physical work, don't knock it unless you try it.

Gee, I just had a major operation
I'm an old guy
If I was doing what you are doing, I would have to seek different work since my operation
Since I use my brain, I went right back to work after major surgery :-)
The brain generally functions great well into old age. The physical body starts to give out around my age
I am not knocking physical work. The reality is its not for everyone, especially as you get older.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
July 5th, 2017 at 8:09:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman

What on earth makes you think people in the trades do not use their brains?
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 71234>Last »