Wonder Woman spoiler discussion thread

Page 3 of 10<123456>Last »
June 9th, 2017 at 5:09:50 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 11
Quote: Evenbob
Chris Pine carries WW, it's as simple as that.
I first saw him in Bottle Shock years ago and
knew he would be a star. The little girl who
plays WW could have been anybody, she
disappears on screen. Robin Wright is far
more memorable.

Am I the only one who's getting the impression that EB didn't actually see WW and is just pretending he did???
In order to insult me, I must first value your opinion
June 9th, 2017 at 5:37:00 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 118
Quote: ams288
Am I the only one who's getting the impression that EB didn't actually see WW and is just pretending he did???

Naw, he probably flew out to the red carpet premiere, in order to give an expert opinion.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
June 9th, 2017 at 6:12:09 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 35

WW is gonna crush EB's favorite small actor in the Mummy at the box office
This has to have him twisted in knots
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 9th, 2017 at 6:37:03 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 319

Would that surprise you?
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
June 9th, 2017 at 7:32:07 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 135

I thought EB once said he hasn't seen a movie in the theaters since Out of Africa or something like that. But I could be confusing him with someone else.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 9th, 2017 at 8:42:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 706
Quote: Wizard
But I could be confusing him with someone else.

"Out of Africa" was over 30 years ago. It is true that many older Americans never go to see a movie in a theater, but even my parent's who are in their 80's go to see movies like "War Horse" or "Lion".

Quote: DRich
I haven't seen a movie in a theater for about six years but my wife almost has me convinced to join her to see "A Dog's Purpose". She loved the book and it sounds interesting, but I just hate the thought of crying in public.

DRich confessed in Dec 2016 that he hadn't seen a movie in a theater in 6 years.

Marvel has been very successful with their "movie universe" where the movies are interconnected loosely in narrative and in cameo appearances. DC comics is obviously trying to imitate Marvel with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad universe.

Disney has also made a number of live action version of their class animated films.

Now I see that Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" is the first in a "monster universe" of planned updated Invisible Man, Werewolf, Frankenstein, Dracula, and Creature from Black Lagoon movies based on films from pre-WWII.
June 9th, 2017 at 8:52:32 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 319
Quote: Pacomartin
Marvel has been very successful with their "movie universe" where the movies are interconnected loosely in narrative and in cameo appearances. DC comics is obviously trying to imitate Marvel with Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad universe.

DC seems to be doing that on TV, with Green Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and whoever-they-are in "Legends of Tomorrow."

Quote:
Now I see that Tom Cruise's "The Mummy" is the first in a "monster universe" of planned updated Invisible Man, Werewolf, Frankenstein, Dracula, and Creature from Black Lagoon movies based on films from pre-WWII.

Why? Aren't there enough bad movies already?

Seriously, there's nothing sinister or mysterious about mummies. It was just an ancient means of embalming. While it's true the Egyptians expected their bodies to resurrect, such resurrection could be carried out by a substitute if needed. People of menas included Ka statues of themselves, for their Ba to find them should their body decay or be stolen or otherwise destroyed.

In that sense, the best portrayal of mummies coming alive was done in "A Night at the Museum."

I don't keep track, but before Star Wars VII, the last movie I saw in theaters was the Batman movie with the Joker (The Dark Knight?) I was disappointed enough not to see the third film (I saw it alter on DVD, and I was disappointed all over again, though whoever played Bane did an amazing acting job).
If Trump where half as smart as he thinks he is, he'd be twice as smart as he really is.
June 9th, 2017 at 9:05:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 706
Quote: Nareed
DC seems to be doing that on TV, with Green Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, and whoever-they-are in "Legends of Tomorrow."

But the financial stakes are much lower for "The CW" network. "The Flash" is the most popular of those shows, and it has never broken 5 million viewers.

But the fact that they are part of a universe makes them much easier to sell as a streaming package.

A movie could sell a hundred million tickets around the world, and then far more people will see it in DVD or streaming.

Number of tickets sold USA and Canada (international sales are more tickets than domestic)
38,260,600 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB
38,179,100 Suicide Squad WB
34,731,000 Man of Steel WB

China and US/Canada film markets are very similar now, with roughly 1.3 billion tickets sold per year. Now the Chinese pay much less money on average, and US film studios receive a much smaller piece of the revenue. In addition there are restrictions on the number of foreign films.

On the positive side for China they are building theaters like crazy, and many more people are upgrading to IMAX versions. Eventually they will be the largest film market in the world.

"The invisible Man" was filmed in 1933 and based on a novel written in 1897. So the possibility that somebody from China is familiar with the story is much higher.
June 11th, 2017 at 1:03:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 118

As a fan of the old Mystery Science Theater 3000, possibly not. There IS a place for them.

(sadly, I get all the cultural references of the old show. Or maybe it's a good thing I've not forgotten everything)
No one has ever proven I am not God.
June 11th, 2017 at 6:06:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 44
I want to say that Wonder Woman was indeed a great movie and had lots of ideas and concepts that really resonated with me. However, I have to say that I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 and it was awesome. Even better than Wonder Woman.
Page 3 of 10<123456>Last »