Wonder Woman spoiler discussion thread

Page 9 of 10« First<678910>
June 28th, 2017 at 7:33:21 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
The first role I remember seeing her in was playing Amy Schumer's sister in Trainwreck. Great movie.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 28th, 2017 at 7:44:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
"All's Quiet on the Western Front."

The author, Remarque, makes a point in the opening statement that the novel does not advocate any political position, but is merely an attempt to describe the experiences of the soldier. So he rejected the idea that his novel was an anti-war book.

English language books with anti war themes were almost nonexistent prior to 1900. The one we read in school was Johnny Got his Gun

Lay Down Your Arms! – Bertha von Suttner novel, 1889
The Red Badge of Courage – Stephen Crane novel, 1895
Captain Jinks, Hero – Ernest Crosby, 1902
The War Prayer – Mark Twain short story, c.1910
Dead Yesterday – Mary Agnes Hamilton novel, 1916
Under Fire – Henri Barbusse novel, 1916
Voyage to Faremido – Frigyes Karinthy novel, 1916
Non-Combatants and Others – Rose Macaulay novel, 1916
Despised and Rejected – Rose Allatini novel, (published under the name A. T. Fitzroy) 1918
Three Soldiers – John Dos Passos novel, 1921, World War One
Ashe of Rings- Mary Butts novel, 1926
All Quiet on the Western Front – Erich Maria Remarque (1929)
Johnny Got His Gun (September 3, 1939)
June 28th, 2017 at 8:05:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
English language books with anti war themes were almost nonexistent prior to 1900. The one we read in school was Johnny Got his Gun

Perhaps if they had been more common, WWI could have been avoided.

It was a cultural matter. War has been seen as the venue for glory since ancient times. There are few civilization that do no extol their military feats. And Europe had gone without a major war between the great powers for decades.

When hostilities began in Europe in 1917, the public mood was festive on pretty much all sides.

So I'm not saying more anti-war stories would have prevented WWI, but that if the culture had been different, and thus anti-war books more widespread, perhaps the war would not have happened.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 28th, 2017 at 11:31:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
So I'm not saying more anti-war stories would have prevented WWI, but that if the culture had been different, and thus anti-war books more widespread, perhaps the war would not have happened.

The military death toll in the Napoleonic Wars was 2.5 million and 3.5 million, civilian death tolls vary from 750,000 to 3 million. At this time the population of Europe was around 200 million.

The military death toll in WWI was 8 million. At this time the population of Europe was over 500 million.

There was plenty of people who were anti-war after WWI, but it doesn't seem to have prevented any of the wars from the 1940's on.
June 28th, 2017 at 11:50:25 AM permalink
Nareed
The military death toll in the Napoleonic Wars was 2.5 million and 3.5 million, civilian death tolls vary from 750,000 to 3 million. At this time the population of Europe was around 200 million.

The Napoleonic wars were may, widespread, and over years. No single war lasted very long nor had massive casualties (except maybe Napoleon's self-defeating foray into Russia, where his troops dropped like flies).

Quote:
There was plenty of people who were anti-war after WWI, but it doesn't seem to have prevented any of the wars from the 1940's on.

I'd argue there have been no wars between major powers since 1945.

But also that the revulsion caused by WWI prevented France and GB from acting decisively to put an early stop to the Nazis and Fascists. This has been argued so much it's almost cliche. the question, then, is what motivated the Germans, Russians and Italians to decide on a new war. Oh, there are plenty of reasons, I know. But this time everyone would have to weigh their goals against millions of dead, maimed and wounded; and no quick victories were to be had (ironically some were had).
June 28th, 2017 at 12:06:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
... what motivated the Germans, Russians and Italians to decide on a new war. Oh, there are plenty of reasons, I know. But this time everyone would have to weigh their goals against millions of dead, maimed and wounded; and no quick victories were to be had (ironically some were had).

With only two decades between the wars nearly everyone remembers the last one, or they hear their parents talk about it.

Of course, the Korean war began on 25 June 1950 less than 5 years after V-J day on August 15, 1945.

There was a lot of questions about the meaning of President Trump's tweet last week.

Quote: DJT: 2:38 PM - 20 Jun 2017
.While I greatly appreciate the efforts of President Xi & China to help with North Korea, it has not worked out. At least I know China tried!
June 28th, 2017 at 1:52:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I thought Gal Gadot was absolutely perfect in that role. .

And you'd be saying the same thing
if they'd chosen one of a dozen other
pretty girls that were tested for the
part. There is nothing stand out about
her.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 28th, 2017 at 2:07:40 PM permalink
Nareed
With only two decades between the wars nearly everyone remembers the last one, or they hear their parents talk about it.

No one ever believes their parents.

I'd like to know how many WWI veterans, who did not remains in the armed services, volunteered when WWII broke out.

Quote:
Of course, the Korean war began on 25 June 1950 less than 5 years after V-J day on August 15, 1945.

Had the war remained the US and some allies against North Korea alone, things would have been very different.

Quote:
There was a lot of questions about the meaning of President Trump's tweet last week.

It would be unwarranted to assume King Donald has a clue of what he meant. Or, if he does, that he will believe the same thing next week.
July 6th, 2017 at 1:48:28 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: Evenbob
And you'd be saying the same thing
if they'd chosen one of a dozen other
pretty girls that were tested for the
part. There is nothing stand out about
her.

Evenbob is still pretending like he watched Wonder Woman. Sad!
July 6th, 2017 at 1:49:52 PM permalink
ams288
Looks like Wonder Woman is going to outgross Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 at the domestic box offic. That's pretty impressive, in my book!

WW is also the biggest extended DC Universe hit yet, which isn't a surprise cause Batman vs. Superman and Suicide Squad both sucked.
Page 9 of 10« First<678910>