The Pope retires!

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
February 11th, 2013 at 12:52:06 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
For only the second time in history and for the first time in 600 years the Pope is resigning. Wow, this is a historic time in the Church's history!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 11th, 2013 at 1:03:49 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I imagine this will create some interesting problems for the leadership to follow. Will his revelation on matters still carry the same weight?
February 11th, 2013 at 1:10:35 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
two thoughts come to mind:

*something is forcing him out.

*nope, not that, he hopes to set an example, believing that Popes should quit dying in office.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 11th, 2013 at 1:17:15 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: FrGamble
For only the second time in history and for the first time in 600 years the Pope is resigning. Wow, this is a historic time in the Church's history!

There's a job opening for you.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 11th, 2013 at 1:27:15 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
Quote: rxwine
There's a job opening for you.
Doubt it. The College of Cardinals has never selected a new Pope that wasn't from one of their own. There's got to be a first for everything, though. The only requirement is that it be a Catholic male. FrGamble, what would you select as your Pontifical name? Johannes (Niger) XXI was already taken . . .
February 11th, 2013 at 1:37:29 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Wow, this is a historic time in the Church's history!

Where else do hisotric times take place if not in history?

But this may just become commonplace. I think it's likely the Cardinals will elect another elderly man to serve as Pope, which means he is that much more likely to want to retire.

What will be more interesting is to see whether the last two popes were a statistical bleep or part of a trend. If the former, then the next Pontifex will be Italian. If the latter, he may be from either elsewhere in Europe, or even from outside of Europe.

Any notion as to likely candidates yet?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 11th, 2013 at 2:29:07 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Nareed
Any notion as to likely candidates yet?

Some coverage I was watching... could have easily been wildly speculative ... suggested that the German Pope was so unpopular in Mexico that a Mexican Pope could be next, Nareed.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 11th, 2013 at 2:42:01 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: theodores
Doubt it. The College of Cardinals has never selected a new Pope that wasn't from one of their own. There's got to be a first for everything, though. The only requirement is that it be a Catholic male. FrGamble, what would you select as your Pontifical name? Johannes (Niger) XXI was already taken . . .

I know it carries an end of the world kind of feel to it but I would probably choose Peter II just to make it clear that Peter was the first Pope and like him I am kind of a big goof.

As far as actually successors I do think Cardinal Dolan of New York has a small chance, if the Cardinals want to elect a younger more dynamic Pope to meet the needs of our world he would be it! I also very much like Card. Schoneborn (sp?). I am blanking on their names right now but a Pope from Africa or from the Far East would be great too. Whatever the Holy Spirit decides will be great.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
February 11th, 2013 at 3:25:28 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Threads: 5
These comments come from a curious outsider's (Jewish) view. And note that I haven't followed the story in the media much at all.

I'm curious to know where he goes from here.

I assume he reverts back to being a Cardinal, but an active one, or retired? I.E. Will he have official duties?

Does he retain his papal name, or revert to his original name?

Does he participate in the selection of a successor? If so, how much weight does his opinion carry?
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
February 11th, 2013 at 3:56:02 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Whatever the Holy Spirit decides will be great.

I don't mean to be offensive, but do you actually believe men of power and influence will actually vote as the Holy Spirit moves them?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 51234>Last »