The Pope retires!

Page 4 of 5<12345>
March 15th, 2013 at 5:46:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
I have no problem with the new guy.

Evidently you're are not well acquainted with Argentine jokes as told in Mexico.

That said, I've no specific problem with the new guy, either, beyond the general problem I have with all adherents of any religion (including the esteemed FrGamble).

Quote:
Let's see what happens with this troublesome aspect:

Ostrich. Head. Sand.

;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 16th, 2013 at 9:14:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Some people keep saying that he looks like Pope Pius XII (1939-1958). It is difficult to say, although they look broadly similar.
March 16th, 2013 at 3:37:42 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Apparently, the new Pope has just one lung....
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 18th, 2013 at 9:15:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Apparently the president of Argentina has asked the new pope if he would intervene regarding the Falkland Islands. Wikipedia says that the islands were taken by Britain when Argentina was only a few years old (they were once also claimed by the French). They have a population of under 3000.

Why would you fight for almost two centuries over these stupid islands? Doesn't the new pope have more important things to worry about than this ancient dispute?
March 19th, 2013 at 9:49:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
Apparently the president of Argentina has asked the new pope if he would intervene regarding the Falkland Islands. Wikipedia says that the islands were taken by Britain when Argentina was only a few years old (they were once also claimed by the French). They have a population of under 3000.

Why would you fight for almost two centuries over these stupid islands? Doesn't the new pope have more important things to worry about than this ancient dispute?

Argentina is in economic bad times. Rallying the population against the big, bad Brits takes people's minds off empty cupboards.
The President is a fink.
March 26th, 2013 at 4:26:59 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
It just occurred to me that one of the Pope's superpowers is that The Holy Spirit speaks through him and since The Holy Spirit is infallible, so are the words of the Pope. So when Pope Benny retired and Pope Frankie took over, did The Holy Spirit stop talking to Pope Benny and does he no longer possess that superpower?
March 26th, 2013 at 7:10:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: s2dbaker
So when Pope Benny retired and Pope Frankie took over, did The Holy Spirit stop talking to Pope Benny and does he no longer possess that superpower?

Benny?

In any case, a little doublethink is standard in all religions.
March 27th, 2013 at 8:54:10 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: s2dbaker
It just occurred to me that one of the Pope's superpowers is that The Holy Spirit speaks through him and since The Holy Spirit is infallible, so are the words of the Pope.

The doctrine of papal infallibility does not mean that the Holy Spirit cannot speak to a retired pope or anyone else for that matter. It also does not mean that the Pope never makes a mistake, just when he makes a proclamation as head of the church. These proclamations are more than just current policy, they represent a universal truth which cannot be overturned upon his death.

A pope gave the title of "Defender of the Faith" to Henry VIII (a title the British monarch uses today), but when Henry established the Church of England, a later pope excommunicated him. The first decision was not made "ex cathedra" and could be overturned by a later pope.

BTW: It has always puzzled me that the monarch would keep that title since the British monarch is the head of the Anglican church. I understand that Prince Charles wants to change the title when he becomes king from "Defender of the Faith" to either "Defender of Faiths" or "Defender of All Faith". I wouldn't be totally shocked if Prince William drops the title all together in keeping with more modern ideas that the position of monarch should be secular.
March 27th, 2013 at 4:51:54 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
The doctrine of papal infallibility does not mean that the Holy Spirit cannot speak to a retired pope or anyone else for that matter.
Okay, so If the Holy Spirit tells Pope Ex Benny one thing and then as a joke tells Pope Frankie another thing then who are the Catholics to believe?
March 27th, 2013 at 6:38:54 PM permalink
Nareed
I understand that Prince Charles wants to change the title when he becomes king from "Defender of the Faith" to either "Defender of Faiths" or "Defender of All Faith".

Are we supposed to foget he cheated on his wife?

Quote:
I wouldn't be totally shocked if Prince William drops the title all together in keeping with more modern ideas that the position of monarch should be secular.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if the queen decides to skip a generation. It would be for the best.
Page 4 of 5<12345>