1 vote (33.33%)
1 vote (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

June 22nd, 2017 at 6:15:41 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
None, since we passed our own constitution in 1982 the Queen is a figure head only. Before that some power was still theoretically based in Britain but would never have been used against the Canadian parliaments wishes.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 23rd, 2017 at 6:56:02 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Wizard
Are you sesquilingual or bilingual?

Definitely sesquilingual of the two options. I'm back to Spanish tutoring, by the way, with yet a new tutor to torture.

California has a sesquicentennial license plate.

I sometimes wonder if the US had not bothered to fight the revolutionary war if Britain would have just let us go without a fight later on, as they did with Canada.

My favorite thing about Canada is that people there seem much more easy going and non-confrontational. Michael Moore asked the question in Bowling for Columbine why there is so much more crime in the US than Canada. Even comparing large cities of similar populations. He never really gave an answer.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 23rd, 2017 at 7:15:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

I sometimes wonder if the US had not bothered to fight the revolutionary war if Britain would have just let us go without a fight later on, as they did with Canada.

At some point the would probably be forced to. However, we would probably not have anything west of the Mississippi as I doubt Napoleon would have deeded the property to the Brits, a natural enemy. That all might have ended up Mexican or a sort of French-America, another nation from the USA with French parentage. While Napoleon was having a hard time holding this land, he might have tried harder if we were the Brits.

Alternatively, it might have all become a Commonwealth of Nations, semi-independent, USA, Canada, OZ. That might have ruled the world to this day.

Quote:
My favorite thing about Canada is that people there seem much more easy going and non-confrontational. Michael Moore asked the question in Bowling for Columbine why there is so much more crime in the US than Canada. Even comparing large cities of similar populations. He never really gave an answer.

Most answers will not fit the PC mold he needs.
The President is a fink.
June 23rd, 2017 at 7:16:10 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Probably. But your people would have been conscripted by the British earlier on to die in large numbers for no gain in WWI.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 23rd, 2017 at 7:51:40 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Nareed
Probably. But your people would have been conscripted by the British earlier on to die in large numbers for no gain in WWI.

You should spend as much time studying Canadian history as you have Roman history before you comment on it Nareed. Conscription for WW1 was instigated late in the war by the CANADIAN PARLIAMENT. There were about 100,000 conscripts, 50,000 never left Canada. Of those that made it to Europe about half saw action on the front lines.

In comparison there were over 600,000 volunteers. What you probably are referring to is that the Canadians did serve under British command but were in Canadian companies. It has been argued that the Canadian's were used as cannon fodder a few times when the Brits didn't want to send in their own troops for a high risk operation.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 23rd, 2017 at 9:17:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: AZDuffman
At some point the would probably be forced to. However, we would probably not have anything west of the Mississippi as I doubt Napoleon would have deeded the property to the Brits, a natural enemy. That all might have ended up Mexican or a sort of French-America, another nation from the USA with French parentage. While Napoleon was having a hard time holding this land, he might have tried harder if we were the Brits.

Interesting point. I think you're exactly right about the land being split between Mexico and an independent French state. I could see a war between the Colonies and this French America, which the Colonies winning.
June 23rd, 2017 at 11:41:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Popular slogan to extend Oregan to present southern boundary of Alaska during the Presidency of James Polk, 11th President of the United States( In office March 4, 1845 – March 4, 1849)

Before the civil war the pressure to take over Canadian territory near the Pacific Ocean (from 49° to 54° 40' in latitude) was very strong. President Polk threatened war with the United Kingdom over the disputed Oregon Country, eventually reaching a settlement in which the United States and Britain divided the territory along the 49th parallel. After Mexico rejected the annexation of Texas by the United States, Polk achieved a sweeping victory in the Mexican–American War, which resulted in the cession by Mexico of nearly the whole of what is now the American Southwest.

I doubt it.

The chief push for Canadian independence came from Britain, and not from Canada. Parliament reasoned that now that the USA was done with their civil war that they would renew their efforts on the Pacific Coast and would probably expand their ambitions to take over all or most of Canada within a decade. Parliament felt that USA would not honor those of a British territory, but they would honor the boundaries of an independent nation.
June 23rd, 2017 at 2:26:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Parliament felt that USA would not honor those of a British territory, but they would honor the boundaries of an independent nation.

They were right in the case of Canada but my impression of the Mexican American war was pretty much a land grab.
June 23rd, 2017 at 9:00:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
They were right in the case of Canada but my impression of the Mexican American war was pretty much a land grab.

Hard to argue with that.

Remember that the provinces only joined the Canadian confederation gradually.

July 1, 1867
Ontario | Canada West region of the Province of Canada
Quebec | Canada East region of the Province of Canada
Nova Scotia | Colony of Nova Scotia
New Brunswick | Colony of New Brunswick

July 15, 1870
Manitoba | part of Rupert's Land
Northwest Territories | all of Rupert's Land and the North-Western Territory except for the part which became Manitoba

July 20, 1871 British Columbia | United Colony of British Columbia

July 1, 1873 Prince Edward Island | Colony of Prince Edward Island

June 13, 1898 Yukon Territory | part of the Northwest Territories

September 1, 1905
Saskatchewan | part of the Northwest Territories
Alberta | part of the Northwest Territories

March 31, 1949 Newfoundland | Dominion of Newfoundland

April 1, 1999 Nunavut | part of the Northwest Territories

img=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/Political_map_of_Canada.png/888px-Political_map_of_Canada.png]

Alberta in particular, while too small and landlocked to be a nation, has considered joining the USA when they became oil rich.

Some cynics say that without a revolution that Canada is much more of a business agreement than the USA or Mexico.
June 24th, 2017 at 5:54:53 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I just read a report that a Canadian sniper just set a new distance record by giving an ISIS bad guy in Iraq the final "take off!" from 3,540m away (I'd mention that that's 2.2 miles, but in honor of Canada, I won't use imperial measurements for a whole day)

Great shot. I tip my toque to you sir!
Page 2 of 5<12345>