No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

June 29th, 2017 at 3:50:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
Yes, nice shot indeed. In the movie Jarhead they said that for long shots like that you have to factor in the Coriolis effect, or the spinning of the earth. I've always wondered how much they have to adjust a long shot like that and the calculations involved.

My understanding is that the spotter refers to a table, or uses a calculator to spit out the required adjustment. In this particular instance, I understand that the sniper team was positioned in a multi-story building, so the difference in altitude between the shooter and target also had to be factored in. I wonder if the members of the sniper team, when they were in high school, ever said "Why do I have to study this? I'm never going to use calculus in my daily work!"

Anybody ever tried to shoot long range? Dead calm wind is preferable to the point of necessity almost - but at these distances a wind calculation of some kind is surely made? Wow.

This needs a thread of its own.

I wonder about some of the technique being secret. For instance i suspect the sniper does not actually let the weapon touch the shoulder - the tiniest change of lock on target caused by the body would cause a miss; 0.001 degrees of waver at the rifle would be a waver of several yards at least at the target, I have to imagine. In modern sniper movies they show these incredible shots sometimes, but the techniques shown are not new or high tech [that I've seen]. And I use the term incredible on purpose, it is actually possible some of these claims are intended to create fear in the enemy?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 29th, 2017 at 7:11:46 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: odiousgambit
Quote: Ayecarumba
Quote: Wizard
Yes, nice shot indeed. In the movie Jarhead they said that for long shots like that you have to factor in the Coriolis effect, or the spinning of the earth. I've always wondered how much they have to adjust a long shot like that and the calculations involved.

My understanding is that the spotter refers to a table, or uses a calculator to spit out the required adjustment. In this particular instance, I understand that the sniper team was positioned in a multi-story building, so the difference in altitude between the shooter and target also had to be factored in. I wonder if the members of the sniper team, when they were in high school, ever said "Why do I have to study this? I'm never going to use calculus in my daily work!"

Anybody ever tried to shoot long range? Dead calm wind is preferable to the point of necessity almost - but at these distances a wind calculation of some kind is surely made? Wow.

The bullet was in the air for just under 10 seconds. Think about that. Squeeze the trigger, take a sip of coffee, put down the cup, check the scope to see the kill. Even in still conditions th wind variance has to be huge.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
June 29th, 2017 at 8:36:41 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
The bullet was in the air for just under 10 seconds. Think about that. Squeeze the trigger, take a sip of coffee, put down the cup, check the scope to see the kill. Even in still conditions th wind variance has to be huge.

One of my favorite movie scenes from Wanted
Its a fantasy but the shot at the end is incredible :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 27th, 2022 at 5:54:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
WTF is going on in Canada
Queen of Canada????????
I think she is actually from the Philippines
Weird

Yahoo! Voices: Followers of QAnon ‘Queen of Canada’ obeyed her orders to arrest police officers. It hasn't turned out well..
https://www.yahoo.com/video/followers-qanon-queen-canada-obeyed-220405344.html
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 27th, 2022 at 10:48:39 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Should the US annex Canada as the 51st state?

Nice people, nice land: makes a lot more sense than bringing Puerto Rico into the fold.
August 27th, 2022 at 12:57:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: missedhervee

Nice people, nice land: makes a lot more sense than bringing Puerto Rico into the fold.

Trump made a great suggestion to build a rr to Alaska. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/a2a-railway-1.5744023

The line needs to be extended to Nome. The US has no deep water port to service ships going to the north pole or anywhere north. A Railroad to Nome would be a fantastic product shipping tool to open the Bering sea to US trade, and Canadian trade. If not the Russians and China will get it all.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 27th, 2022 at 1:00:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: petroglyph
Trump made a great suggestion to build a rr to Alaska. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/a2a-railway-1.5744023

The line needs to be extended to Nome. The US has no deep water port to service ships going to the north pole or anywhere north. A Railroad to Nome would be a fantastic product shipping tool to open the Bering sea to US trade, and Canadian trade. If not the Russians and China will get it all.

Why would we want a RR to a small city nobody wants to go to?
The President is a fink.
August 28th, 2022 at 1:23:33 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
AM radio is the best thing Canada has contributed.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 29th, 2022 at 3:12:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: DRich
AM radio is the best thing Canada has contributed.

No, Tim Horton's is.
The President is a fink.
August 29th, 2022 at 6:33:44 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: missedhervee

https://www.sos.wa.gov/archives/timeline/detail.aspx?id=188#:~:text=Territorial%20Timeline&text=Polk's%20battle%20cry%20was%20%22Fifty,and%20took%20office%20in%201845.

In 1844 presidential candidate James K. Polk's primary campaign issue was to expand the United States to include Texas and the Pacific Northwest. Polk's battle cry was "Fifty-four forty or fight," which meant the United States would accept nothing less from the British than all of the Oregon Country, as far north as the border of Alaska. Polk won the Presidency as #11 and took office in 1845. However, his victory was by a very small margin, and he did not feel a mandate was given to declare war on Britain over the Pacific Northwest. On the other hand, the British were incensed by Polk's rhetoric and made preparations for war.

The US did not have a strong POTUS afer Polk and the civil war, and was no in a position to invade Pacific Northwestern Canada.
Zachary Taylor & Millard Fillmore split one term
Franklin Pierce served one term
James Buchanan served on term
Abraham Lindoln was elected twice

On April 15, 1865,Andrew Johnson became President of the United States upon the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, and he survived impeachment and his term ended on March 4, 1869. Johnson was a former governor of Tennessee and then Senator that Lincoln appointed as VP as the only powerful souhernor who voted against cessession. Andrew Johnson was strongly disliked by nearly everyone.

The Briitsh believed that after Andrew Johnson ceased to be POTUS hat a newly revived US would eventually annex Canada. They were probably correct. The major constitutional document is the British North America Act, 1867, later renamed the Constitution Act, 1867. Britain felt that Canada must be independent so that the Americans would not invade an independent country,
Page 4 of 5<12345>