1 vote (33.33%)
No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)

3 members have voted

August 29th, 2022 at 6:52:37 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
https://www.sos.wa.gov/archives/timeline/detail.aspx?id=188#:~:text=Territorial%20Timeline&text=Polk's%20battle%20cry%20was%20%22Fifty,and%20took%20office%20in%201845.

In 1844 presidential candidate James K. Polk's primary campaign issue was to expand the United States to include Texas and the Pacific Northwest. Polk's battle cry was "Fifty-four forty or fight," which meant the United States would accept nothing less from the British than all of the Oregon Country, as far north as the border of Alaska. Polk won the Presidency and took office in 1845. However, his victory was by a very small margin, and he did not feel a mandate was given to declare war on Britain over the Pacific Northwest. On the other hand, the British were incensed by Polk's rhetoric and made preparations for war.

On April 15, 1865, when Andrew Johnson became President of the United States upon the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln, and ended on March 4, 1869. Johnson was a former governor of Tennessee and then Senator that Lincoln appointed as VP as the only powerful souhernor who voted against cessession. Andrew Johnson was strongly disliked by nearly everyone.

The Briitsh believed that after Andrew Johnson ceased to be Potus that a newly revived US would eventually annex Canada. They were probably correct. The major constitutional document is the British North America Act, 1867, later renamed the Constitution Act, 1867. Britain felt that Canada must be independent so that the Americans would not invade an independent country,

I learned a lot about Johnson recently. Visited his old tailor shop which is now completely enclosed in the visitors center. Fascinating President. If Lincoln lived, no doubt he would have found reconstruction of the South tough. Johnson was solidly for the constitution. He did have slaves but eventually freed them all. He was savy in getting the exact support he needed in the Senate to avoid leaving office early. I believe he had the right to fire cabinet members which is what the impeachment was about. He was still quite popular in TN serving as a Senator after his Presidency.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 16th, 2023 at 3:36:57 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.yahoo.com/news/going-gray-news-anchor-found-184906421.html
After Going Gray, a News Anchor Found Herself the Focus of the Story

Interesting story. Wonder if Kernamen has any unique insite since I never heard of this news anchor before.
Reminds me of the local PBS station in MD. They had a goldmine in Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser. All the PBS stations across the country carried the show. Everybody in business watched the show. The station got rid old Louis Rukeyser and went with a younger host. The show tanked.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 16th, 2023 at 4:32:07 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: terapined
https://www.yahoo.com/news/going-gray-news-anchor-found-184906421.html
After Going Gray, a News Anchor Found Herself the Focus of the Story

Interesting story. Wonder if Kernamen has any unique insite since I never heard of this news anchor before.
Reminds me of the local PBS station in MD. They had a goldmine in Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser. All the PBS stations across the country carried the show. Everybody in business watched the show. The station got rid old Louis Rukeyser and went with a younger host. The show tanked.

No insight since I never watch CTV. From what I have seen the TV networks do seem to be trying to get younger on air.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
Page 5 of 5« First<2345