Russian Meteor

Page 2 of 2<12
February 19th, 2013 at 12:38:34 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
[
Eventually one will hit and do real damage. Then he earth will shake off humans like the irritating fleas we are and some new life form will be in top.

--2 million years later...

1st cockroach - What happened?
2nd cockroach - They were all killed off by a giant rock from space. Thus, the end of the warmbodies, and the rise of the insects. That's the theory anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2013 at 12:50:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
[
Eventually one will hit and do real damage. Then he earth will shake off humans like the irritating fleas we are and some new life form will be in top.

1st cockroach - What happened?
2nd cockroach - They were all killed off by a giant rock from space. Thus, the end of the warmbodies, and the rise of the insects. That's the theory anyway.

3rd cockroach- Did you hear that Echelon is opening me t month? They will be having 9:10 blackjack payout!
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2013 at 1:01:58 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

Unlikely. Insects can't grow large enough to develop brains, all those tons of SF novels, stories, TV and movies notwithstanding.

Assuming sea life fares well, I'd bet on a variety of octopus or squid to succeed us. They ahve large brains and tentacles to manipulate the world around them more effectively. If life on land previals, that's a tough one. Some sort of primate, maybe. Although the most human-like intelligence, because they've developed it to adapt to us, resides in dogs.

The unspoken assumption is that intelligence is the "goal" of evolution. Considering it took billions of years to come up with vertebrates, and then nearly half a billion more to come up with high intelligence, that just is not so. More tellingly, no other living species even comes close to humanity in intelligence. Sure, dolphins and some apes and monkeys are freakishly smart, for beasts. All the known species with intelligence comparable to humanity's were humanity's ancestors, except for the Neanderthals. And they were so comparatively less capable that H. sapiens either wiped them out, displaced them or absorbed them (take your pick, I favor displaement).

Fact is it would take a catastrophe big enough to wipe out all life on Earth in order to wipe out humanity. And perhaps not even then...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 19th, 2013 at 1:06:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Nareed
Unlikely. Insects can't grow large enough to develop brains, all those tons of SF novels, stories, TV and movies notwithstanding.

Oh I heard conversations while riding Vegas public transit that didn't require brains to produce.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2013 at 1:16:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Oh I heard conversations while riding Vegas public transit that didn't require brains to produce.

Sure. But those people are not out building skyscrapers, launching rockets to the Moon or developing a Theory to Explain the Latest Experimental Data We All Cannot Make Heads or Tails Of.

They may be running for office, though :P
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 25th, 2013 at 12:48:46 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 2 of 2<12