Is Christianity too feminized?

Page 1 of 91234>Last »
August 9th, 2017 at 3:05:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Fr Gamble, assuming you have not blocked me, you are on the spot here, input?

Interesting article, part of a series over at The Art of Manliness. It puts forth that not only are women going to church in far greater numbers than men are, but the men who do go are less likely to be in a manly job or follow manly pursuits. Other than the unusual Post WWII period 1950-1970, it seems this has been the case for 2-400 years.

Article says in some denominations, men will be nearly driven out in a generation.

Discuss. Discuss without trying to push atheism, please.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2017 at 3:52:59 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Church is first and foremost a social place
where friends and neighbors meet,
religion has little to do with it. Women
are much more socially inclined so they
go to Church more than men. My wife
has 3 sisters and they are always
shopping for a new church every few
years. My wife has had 4 in the last 10
years just because she grew to dislike
the women there.

Men are much more the loner type, they
don't need that influx of gossip and
catching up that women get from church
groups. I didn't read the article, does it
say this? There really is no other
explanation.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2017 at 5:42:06 PM permalink
ddloml
Threads: 1
Christian churches are skewing towards an older demographic. Women live longer than men. Churches that I have attended always seem to have a larger number of widows compared to the widowers in the pews.
August 9th, 2017 at 5:52:40 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
In response to this it is often mentioned Jesus could be quite manly at times, such as when overturning the tables on the money-changers. However, overall the message perhaps appeals more to women.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
August 9th, 2017 at 6:07:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: odiousgambit
However, overall the message perhaps appeals more to women.

No no NO! Do you really think these women are
going to church more than men because of
the message? It's where their friends and
family are, it's where they socialize and get
caught up on the news. Been that way
for hundreds of years. Men find all that
boring, I don't know any Christian men
that go on a regular basis. My wife's
FB page has dozens of friends from
her church.

It's in the culture, for decades we see in
movies and TV where a wife is always
trying to get the husband to go with
her and he wants nothing to do with
it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 9th, 2017 at 6:16:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Fr Gamble, assuming you have not blocked me, you are on the spot here, input?

Interesting article, part of a series over at The Art of Manliness. It puts forth that not only are women going to church in far greater numbers than men are, but the men who do go are less likely to be in a manly job or follow manly pursuits. Other than the unusual Post WWII period 1950-1970, it seems this has been the case for 2-400 years.

Article says in some denominations, men will be nearly driven out in a generation.

Discuss. Discuss without trying to push atheism, please.
I read about half. Got to the part about bridal imagery and how it turned men off.

Looks like the ratio has most always been skewed toward more women. I think people are motivated by what they think benefits them. Same reason we toss donations into the red kettle. It makes us feel good, so we do it. If there was a sign spelling out the percentage of donations that actually reaches charity, much less would make it into the jar. If you don't see the benefit, you probably aren't joining up.

Some people need church, they just do. A lot of them do bible talk and argue who know's it best and their faith is a good model for them. We are clannish. Goes way back. In the article the ration has been as high as 9/1. I don't see how a guy could have gotten a word in edgewise.

It seems everytime I think the world is on to the scam of life, another cult pops up with a big bunch of followers thinking they are the only ones who got it right?

I hope you have watched Bill Burr on Netflix and saw his specials? Worth it, start at 1;10. https://youtu.be/lZDGMI_6LXM
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 9th, 2017 at 6:18:18 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: odiousgambit
In response to this it is often mentioned Jesus could be quite manly at times, such as when overturning the tables on the money-changers.
It always boils down to the money.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
August 9th, 2017 at 6:52:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: petroglyph

I hope you have watched Bill Burr on Netflix and saw his specials? Worth it, start at 1;10. https://youtu.be/lZDGMI_6LXM

Lot of stuff in this one I've been saying to
FrG for years about they get to you young
and brainwash you.

August 9th, 2017 at 7:24:11 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I'm with Tom Sawyer. Unless a stray dog appears and starts playing with a crawling beetle during the service, it's an exercise in boredom.

Also...

Quote:
After the hymn had been sung, the Rev. Mr. Sprague turned himself into a bulletin–board, and read off "notices" of meetings and societies and things till it seemed that the list would stretch out to the crack of doom—a queer custom which is still kept up in America, even in cities, away here in this age of abundant newspapers. Often, the less there is to justify a traditional custom, the harder it is to get rid of it.

And now the minister prayed. A good, generous prayer it was, and went into details: it pleaded for the church, and the little children of the church; for the other churches of the village; for the village itself; for the county; for the State; for the State officers; for the United States; for the churches of the United States; for Congress; for the President; for the officers of the Government; for poor sailors, tossed by stormy seas; for the oppressed millions groaning under the heel of European monarchies and Oriental despotisms; for such as have the light and the good tidings, and yet have not eyes to see nor ears to hear withal; for the heathen in the far islands of the sea; and closed with a supplication that the words he was about to speak might find grace and favor, and be as seed sown in fertile ground, yielding in time a grateful harvest of good. Amen.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 10th, 2017 at 3:29:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Man is overly domesticated and needs these re-wilding movement that instill greed, drive and ambition instead of 'civilization' and feminine values.
Page 1 of 91234>Last »