Internet Speeds

Page 1 of 212>
August 16th, 2017 at 12:52:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
My internet service provider changed their options this week. The advertised price is
$19.99 per mo.* 10 Mbps
$29.99 per mo.* 25 Mbps
$39.99 per mo.* 50 Mbps
$49.99 per mo.* 155 Mbps
$54.99 per mo.* 330 Mbps
$64.99 per mo.* 1000 Mbps (gigabit)

I suspect there may be some hidden costs as in modem rental prices. Currently we have 50 Mbps.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone else have some high speeds? Is it worth it?

The cable is still copper wire and not fiber so the upload speeds are not the same as download speeds.
August 16th, 2017 at 1:27:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Mine is 30, it's instant, how would I even tell
the difference at a higher speed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 16th, 2017 at 1:30:39 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Pacomartin
My internet service provider changed their options this week. The advertised price is
$19.99 per mo.* 10 Mbps
$29.99 per mo.* 25 Mbps
$39.99 per mo.* 50 Mbps
$49.99 per mo.* 155 Mbps
$54.99 per mo.* 330 Mbps
$64.99 per mo.* 1000 Mbps (gigabit)

I suspect there may be some hidden costs as in modem rental prices. Currently we have 50 Mbps.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone else have some high speeds? Is it worth it?

The cable is still copper wire and not fiber so the upload speeds are not the same as download speeds.

I dnt know what speed I have but its pretty fast
Its a business account paid for by the company I work for from home
Cable based internet and phone
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 17th, 2017 at 5:30:13 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
I'm with Wave, and we upgraded to 250 speed a few months ago. My gf's computer is hardwired into the modem so she gets this high speed, but I use a laptop and Wifi which gets about 80 Mbps in the same room, and 60 in the bedroom. Upload speed is less, but I never upload anything. Netflix never fades or buffers, which is nice. It used to cut out when we had 12 Mbps service. I take my laptop on trips and check my speed from the hotel rooms; always ridiculously slow, like 1.5 Mbps on their free wifi.

Not sure of price, since everything is bundled with Wave. We have a landline phone (we live far from town with crappy cell signal), 3 TVs with Tivo boxes. A "master" DVR in living room and two little linking Tivo units in the bedrooms to watch the shows we record in living room. We get all the channels that are offered; all the HBOs etc that offer HD picture. I think we pay $200/month for all that.

August 17th, 2017 at 7:25:56 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Ours is 50 and I have never had any need for more. We will have two streaming shows going while surfing without any issues that lead me to believe the bottleneck is our connection. Upload speed is pretty meaningless unless you are hosting a server at your house.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 18th, 2017 at 3:08:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: zippyboy
I'm with Wave, and we upgraded to 250 speed a few months ago. My gf's computer is hardwired into the modem so she gets this high speed, but I use a laptop and Wifi which gets about 80 Mbps in the same room, and 60 in the bedroom. Upload speed is less, but I never upload anything. Netflix never fades or buffers, which is nice. It used to cut out when we had 12 Mbps service. I take my laptop on trips and check my speed from the hotel rooms; always ridiculously slow, like 1.5 Mbps on their free wifi.

Not sure of price, since everything is bundled with Wave. We have a landline phone (we live far from town with crappy cell signal), 3 TVs with Tivo boxes. A "master" DVR in living room and two little linking Tivo units in the bedrooms to watch the shows we record in living room. We get all the channels that are offered; all the HBOs etc that offer HD picture. I think we pay $200/month for all that.

My company RCN, Wave, and Grande were all bought out by the same firm TPG who is all investing heavily in Layer 3 TV. So presumably Layer 3 will become an option at some point.

We pay $168 for a landline phone, 3 Tivo boxes. A "master" DVR plus two linking Tivo units , no HBO and 50 Mbps. So gig service would raise us to $200 and HBO extra to $215.

Your wifi access point (or router) may not be capable of matching speeds of your modem. It's a cheap upgrade if you want your laptop to match speeds.
August 18th, 2017 at 5:47:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Remember that this is just "peak speed" and regular speed still depends on the rest of the neighborhood.

I wish I could get those prices!
The President is a fink.
August 18th, 2017 at 9:07:52 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
You need an internet connection fast enough to be able to stream * the number of people in your household.

So, if you have 2 people in your household and want to stream NetFlix in HD you would want to have at least 10Mbps + an additional 10Mbps for multi-tasking (aka surfing, downloading, etc).

I think 50Mbps is plenty for most small households. In a household where you have four children who are online all the time then 100Mbps would be appropriate.

I work from home. My parents place has 25Mbps which is more than adequate for my work needs; my home has 50Mbps which is more than enough. It gets strained when I am watching MLB.tv on my Samsung television and surfing.

A good wireless connection needs to be:
- checked for interference with other nearby households operating on the same channel (solution - change your frequency)
- checked for strength and distance (solution - pay more for a WAP).
- capable at transmitting at higher speeds than your modem.
August 18th, 2017 at 9:19:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: boymimbo
I think 50Mbps is plenty for most small households. In a household where you have four children who are online all the time then 100Mbps would be appropriate.

We'll probably stay with that. In reality we started at 3 Mbps in 2004 and we let them increase the speed at their own rate. Even though they offer 10 Mbps and 25 Mbps service, they have increased us to 50 Mbps so far at no additional charge.

Right now we are running 3 TiVo boxes, 2 computers, 1 Android phone, 1 Android tablet, 2 Roku boxes, and 2 wireless access points. But usually there are not more than 3 devices on at once.
August 18th, 2017 at 9:26:22 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Pacomartin
We'll probably stay with that. In reality we started at 3 Mbps in 2004 and we let them increase the speed at their own rate. Even though they offer 10 Mbps and 25 Mbps service, they have increased us to 50 Mbps so far at no additional charge.

Right now we are running 3 TiVo boxes, 2 computers, 1 Android phone, 1 Android tablet, 2 Roku boxes, and 2 wireless access points. But usually there are not more than 3 devices on at once.

If you go to 4K or Ultra then you will need 4x the bandwidth.
Page 1 of 212>