What I didn't realize about founding father elections

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
September 16th, 2017 at 6:42:15 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The entire Constitution was a compromise that was founded on checks and balances (and delay).

The Bill of Rights was accepted as a sort of addendum.

The House and Senate selection and term length was a compromise between election results and necessity of constancy of policy in foreign matters and broad public policy issues.

The Electoral College is no different. It is a 'check and balance' aimed at interposing some delay and thought between the will of the people in some heated election and a more deliberative process where excessive fragmentation can not take place.

As such the Electoral College will continue and criticism of it will continue. Which is all to the good.

I don't recall where that party that wanted to turn the state into green cheese took place but I'm glad that such things have a 'check' on them in the United States. However powerful a green cheese party might become in the USA some day, it can't fragment the vote in the Electoral College.
September 16th, 2017 at 7:34:15 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

The Bill of Rights was accepted as a sort of addendum.

I was taught that after they did all the compromise on the Constitution some signers realized there was nothing, zero, in the document to protect rights, just rules on how to govern. So the other side said, "Well, lets sign it and we promise the very first order of business is to list rights given and put them down, but we gotta get this done!"

So they made a list of things that took away power from the government and gave protection to the people.

And they have never really passed anything taking power away from the government since!
The President is a fink.
Page 5 of 5« First<2345