My phone doesn't recognize me!

August 31st, 2017 at 9:20:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
It's happened. The new $1000 iPhones coming out in a few weeks are going to have 3D facial recognition technology so you won't have to remember a passcode or a knock code or use your fingerprint. Your phone will recognize your face.

Of course, if you are beat up in a bar fight and try to call for help your phone may not recognize you behind the swelling eyes. You may wish you had an $12 flip phone.

August 31st, 2017 at 9:37:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
. You may wish you had an $12 flip

I have a $10 flipfone, it's all I need. My wife is
obsessed with her smart phone, it drives me nuts.
I'll never have a fone that gets texts, there's nothing
I want to know that badly that it can't wait. If
a relative dies at 1am, he'll be just as dead at noon,
tell me then.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 1st, 2017 at 6:47:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Of course, if you are beat up in a bar fight and try to call for help your phone may not recognize you behind the swelling eyes. You may wish you had an $12 flip phone.

You know you don't have to activate any of the locking options the phone manufacturers provide?

All my devices have a simple swipe "lock." No password, no pattern, no fingerprint, no facial recognition.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 1st, 2017 at 7:56:49 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My understanding is that if it doesn't recognize you you still have the option of typing the passcode in. That is how the current iPhone works with the fingerprint sensor.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 1st, 2017 at 2:06:29 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DRich
My understanding is that if it doesn't recognize you you still have the option of typing the passcode in.

I didn't really think that there would be backup approaches. It is just that I am amazed at how technical basic functions have gotten. For most of us it has only been 25 years since we could make a phone call from the road. Now we are going to have phones that look at us and recognize who we are.